Typical GPS Accuracy?

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I have a vzw note 3 in jellybean. No KitKat update available yet in my area. Anyway in an app like gps status and toolbox you can check the accuracy of your gps. When moving in a car my gps is plus or minus 30 feet at best. You used to be able to tell in gmaps by tapping on the dot showing your location but that is one of many features in gmaps that is no longer available.

Anyway if you get the chance while moving in a car would you check the accuracy of your gps in gps status app to see if you do better or worse or if mine is average? I appreciate it. Thanks!

Sent from my Hyperdriven Note 3

Baby_Doc

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
I actually did use GPS status while driving home on a freeway. It seemed to take longer to connect to the satellites today, than I remember before KitKat. Other than that, I didn't appreciate any difference in reported accuracy. I was getting 30 feet accuracy while moving at 65 mph, which isn't too bad. I didn't check the accuracy while stationary.
I expect it might then be better.

Posted via Android Central App

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Sounds the same as mine in 4.3 Must be the hardware. I used to typically get plus or minus 6 feet in my razr maxx hd. I thought 30 feet was bad but maybe it is typical. Of course 30 feet is the best I get moving. Often it is higher. It is more accurate when stationary but I'm always moving when using gps so that doesn't matter much to me.

brucedbr

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
I've wondered the same thing since I moved to my Note 3. On Note 2, I used to leave my phone on my lap while driving and using Google Nav or Waze. Now, if I leave it on my lap, it'll connect for a while, but then I get "GPS Service Lost". All I have to do is tip it up by about 45 degree angle and boom...it reconnects! This has happened on 2 different Note 3 handsets. (I replaced my first one for a different, but similar issue). And the silly thing is when it is connected, if I get to a red light and sit for a few minutes, it gets confused as to which direction I'm going and starts to show me going in circles!! LOL

I'm glad to know about GPS Status. I'm going to give that a try just to see.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Still check with gps status to see accuracy. Glad I could help with screw issue.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
LOL! Oh that it was that simple!

I think recDNA was serious. I do remember reading a thread where eventually someone found that I think tightening 4 screws a quarter of a turn cured - well cured something, it might have been wifi or GPS. I'm too tired to look.
I have had weird issues with GPS, putting me in a park outside Paris when I am in London. I think GPS Status helped. It's better now.

I never measured but 30 feet sounds about right, occasionally better, so I am quite happy with that.

Sent from my N9005 using Tapatalk Pro

Baby_Doc

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
When you're moving on a highway at 65 mph, I think 30 ft accuracy is actually great. That's less than 2 car lengths and only a second or two off from of any actual location or destination.

If you are stationary and trying to map the coordinates of a certain place, having better accuracy could be more of an issue. But I guess that's what surveyors get paid to do.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
When you're moving on a highway at 65 mph, I think 60 ft accuracy is actually great. That's less than 4 car lengths and only a second or two off from of any actual location or destination.

If you are stationary and trying to map the coordinates of a certain place, having better accuracy could be more of an issue. But I guess that's what surveyors get paid to do.

Why? 6 feet was typical in my razr maxx hd? 60 feet. Means beyond the exit or still on the highway when on an off ramp or. Parallel road.

Baby_Doc

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
Why? 6 feet was typical in my razr maxx hd? 60 feet. Means beyond the exit or still on the highway when on an off ramp or. Parallel road.

Even my Garmin isn't that accurate as I watch the feet count down before a turn. Moreover, I haven't missed an exit because its off 30 ft, mainly because it warns me 200 ft before the exit and I can see the exit. (It becomes more of an issue if cars that drive themselves use the GPS to direct them. I doubt that they will.)

Accuracy depends on how many satellites your GPS is locking onto and the strength of those connections. I have seen my Note 3 report less than 10 feet accuracy, too. But I have to be stationary, the skies are clear and my device is really locked in.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Check with motorola razr maxx hd owners. I used the same gps status app. Stationary accuracy was 3 feet. Never saw worse than 15 feet in my moving car. I don't know how but it did. Google. Maps used to tell accuracy also so I had 2 ways to check. My Garmin sucks. Never updated maps because of it.

brucedbr

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
Yes, I was dead serious about the screw issue.

Oh! Sorry...I thought that was a version of the "loose nut behind the screen" joke! Hmmm...I'll check.

I downloaded GPS Status last night. I went outside and checked, and it said it was accurate to within 10 feet. Of course, that was standing still. I've not checked it moving yet. I have to read up on that app and see what everything there means.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Ya, lots of stuff. It's pretty cool. Did you check the screws? That is what causes the tilting signal issue.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I used the screwdriver that comes in one of those cheap eyeglass repair kits.

mwb1957

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
I have a vzw note 3 in jellybean. No KitKat update available yet in my area. Anyway in an app like gps status and toolbox you can check the accuracy of your gps. When moving in a car my gps is plus or minus 30 feet at best. You used to be able to tell in gmaps by tapping on the dot showing your location but that is one of many features in gmaps that is no longer available.

Anyway if you get the chance while moving in a car would you check the accuracy of your gps in gps status app to see if you do better or worse or if mine is average? I appreciate it. Thanks!

I used gps status & G maps today for the first time since I got my KitKat upgrade.
I drove for about 1 hour on the highway & about 1/2 hour on city streets.
The gps was very accurate. I noticed when I got off the highway for food it had my exact location.
The gps on my N3 was not that accurate before the upgrade.
I am also on verizon.

Posted via Android Central App from my Rose Gold Samsung Galaxy Note 3

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I used gps status & G maps today for the first time since I got my KitKat upgrade.
I drove for about 1 hour on the highway & about 1/2 hour on city streets.
The gps was very accurate. I noticed when I got off the highway for food it had my exact location.
The gps on my N3 was not that accurate before the upgrade.
I am also on verizon.

Posted via Android Central App from my Rose Gold Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Plus or minus how many feet while moving at highway speed?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12