Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Verizon Galaxy Note 3 Battery Life Poor on KitKat

Is anyone else experiencing bad battery life after kitkat? My screen used to always be the biggest battery killer. Now Google services and Android system are at the top of the list. Right now, my battery is 91% with only 20 minutes of screen time and 2 hours off the charger. I would easily still be at 95% or higher at this point before kitkat. I did a factory reset after downloading kitkat.
    My girlfriend's s4 seems to also be suffering from worse battery life. It hasn't been reset since downloading kitkat.

Default Re: Battery Life Is Terrible After Kitkat

Mine has been fine.

Notes from Deb's Note 3
    Deb
    Save a life & make your life better.
    Adopt a rescue or shelter dog.

I have not been able to make it through the day without connecting a charger. Before update I went to bed with 50% battery remaining. Something needs fixing.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I had the same problem. Some people say to do a factory reset, which I haven't because have too much stuff on my note 3 to loose.

Give it a few weeks and it will settle down. And you should see an improvement in battery life. Unfortunately this is a very common complaint with Kit Kat

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk
    anon8380037 likes this.

Default Re: Verizon Galaxy Note 3 Battery Life Poor on KitKat

The only thing I have noticed is my Bluetooth connection in my car has a much bigger impact on my battery now. Otherwise it seems to be the same as before kitkat on everything else.

Posted via Android Central App

No significant difference, battery life is still very good for me.
    Spencerdl likes this.

Yes. Not sure why. Didn't do a factory reset yet. Just wiped partition cache. After that, battery life has suffered enough that I am trying to back up the info I currently have in the phone to do the reset without much loss. Hoping that corrects the issue.

Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by BBSeattle View Post
    No significant difference, battery life is still very good for me.
    Exactly this^^^

I have also noticed reduces battery life on KK. Also noticing lower signal strength on 4G and I am in a large metro area. Disappointed since I was very happy before being forced to update!? However my wife's note 3 seems okay or not significantly different.

Posted via my Galaxy Note3 on the Android Central App

Quote Originally Posted by music_man185 View Post
    Is anyone else experiencing bad battery life after kitkat? My screen used to always be the biggest battery killer. Now Google services and Android system are at the top of the list. Right now, my battery is 91% with only 20 minutes of screen time and 2 hours off the charger. I would easily still be at 95% or higher at this point before kitkat. I did a factory reset after downloading kitkat.
    My girlfriend's s4 seems to also be suffering from worse battery life. It hasn't been reset since downloading kitkat.
    I have basically the same issue but mine started prior to kitkat
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

I have done the factory reset, and it hasn't helped so far

For some reason, it appears that downloading the KitKat update is a "Russian Roulette" type situation. Some are good, some are bad, I wonder why.
    BBSeattle and emtpete1 like this.

I should mention that I did do a factory reset after the update. Even though it's a pain in the rear it seems to be worth the effort.

Quote Originally Posted by spencerdl View Post
    Exactly this^^^
    - - - Updated - - -

LOL.... Russian Roulette, that about sums it up.

Quote Originally Posted by spencerdl View Post
    For some reason, it appears that downloading the KitKat update is a "Russian Roulette" type situation. Some are good, some are bad, I wonder why.
    Spencerdl likes this.

Reset is definitely worth a shot.
    Good luck☺

Quote Originally Posted by Ladybell View Post
    Yes. Not sure why. Didn'tq do a factory reset yet. Just wiped partition cache. After that, battery life has suffered enough that I am trying to back up the info I currently have in the phone to do the reset without much loss. Hoping that corrects the issue.

Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app

My battery consumption is about the same after KitKat or maybe a little better. I did NOT do a factory reset. However, I did turn off Google plus and disabled GPS, using only WiFi/Cell towers for Location. That seemed to make a big improvement in battery usage.
    I also have GreenPower Premium installed. It turns off WiFi and Bluetooth when your screen is off or your device is disconnected from a Bluetooth device.

16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

How do you use cell towers and wifi for location?

The first 2 days of kitkat my phone was flawless. 3 days in, where I would have 60% battery left, now is 28%. Exchange Services has used 40% and has kept my phone awake for 4+ hours. I am not pleased with this update.

I'm probably going to back up my phone & do a factory reset. Maybe that'll help.

ROM
    .246 ICS

Quote Originally Posted by dkwannabe View Post
    The first 2 days of kitkat my phone was flawless. 3 days in, where I would have 60% battery left, now is 28%. Exchange Services has used 40% and has kept my phone awake for 4+ hours. I am not pleased with this update.

I'm probably going to back up my phone & do a factory reset. Maybe that'll help.

Found this thread, maybe something helpful here?

"Exchange Services" is killing my battery!

Sent from my Awesome Note 3 via the Android Central Forums App
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

Charged my phone all night (like I always do), this morning..... 40 minutes off the charger, 30 SECONDS of screen time and I'm already down to 93%! This is ridiculous! I literally have not touched my phone and I've lost almost 10% in less than an hour!!

Mine is pretty bad too. But I've been running the leaked KitKat rom

If you are getting bad battery life after an update, a factory data reset is recommended. If not you can use an app like gsam to see what is eating your battery.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Quote Originally Posted by music_man185 View Post
    How do you use cell towers and wifi for location?
    Go to settings. Press on Location and then on Mode. The middle power saving location mode option is WiFi and Mobile networks. It uses very little of your battery, even if left on all of the time. It avoids using the more power consuming GPS entirely, at the expense of a less accuracy.

For most purposes, such as weather apps or labeling your location on photos, this level of location accuracy is good enough.

When mapping where you are going, on the other hand, you better then bite the bullet and turn on the GPS for better accuracy. If your GPS is slow to lock onto the satellites (mine is), then select the top mode, which uses all three ( GPS, WiFi, and mobile communication) to get the best accuracy, most quickly. But this mode will use more juice.

Last edited by Baby_Doc; 05-25-2014 at 11:53 AM.

ROM
    .246 ICS

Quote Originally Posted by biggerfasterstronger24 View Post
    Mine is pretty bad too. But I've been running the leaked KitKat rom

I've got the leaked KK pre rooted rom. Right now 4 1/2 hours off the charger overnight down only 9 % to 91%.

Sent from my Awesome Note 3 via the Android Central Forums App

As I said on another thread, I had an unbelievably dumb moment this morning when I woke up to my phone downloading and once the download was completed I wasn't paying attention and I tapped on "install". (Hey it was 5 am and before coffee...)
    I have been watching my phone and I'm sorry to say that my battery life keeps on getting worse. I had it charged 100% at 2 pm, it now 2:39 and I am down to 90% I wasn't using it, background apps were off. I looked and my phone says the Android system is using 60% of my battery.

Thanked by:
    echunkiey likes this.
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  

I wiped the cache partition this morning. The battery still isn't what it used to be pre kitkat, but it seems to be doing better. I thought the factory reset should have wiped the cache automatically.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast