Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default How Long Do Batteries Last

My Note 3 has been excellent with respect to battery life. Charged it over night. Next day I got a warning of low battery about 8 or 9 PM. Well lately with same kind of usage, I get low battery notice about 5 or 6 PM. Got my Note 3 first day they were avail at Verizon. Only recent change was going to kitkat. Is my battery life on it's last leg or is something else causing the issue. Could kitkat be causing battery issues? I have tried using the Battery Doctor app to attempt to extend battery life and I was able to extend life about an hour each day. What am I missing??

Default Re: How Long Do Batteries Last

Quote Originally Posted by mickeyboat View Post
    My Note 3 has been excellent with respect to battery life. Charged it over night. Next day I got a warning of low battery about 8 or 9 PM. Well lately with same kind of usage, I get low battery notice about 5 or 6 PM. Got my Note 3 first day they were avail at Verizon. Only recent change was going to kitkat. Is my battery life on it's last leg or is something else causing the issue. Could kitkat be causing battery issues? I have tried using the Battery Doctor app to attempt to extend battery life and I was able to extend life about an hour each day. What am I missing??
    There could be multiple things causing this, such as:

1- The new update to KitKat is more 'power consuming';
    2- You have installed a few new apps, or they have updated, and in turn use that little more power;
    3- Your settings may have changed (say for example power-saving is no longer on), thus causing more power usage;
    4- Your reception may be weak, thus causing the phone to 'work harder' for reception and;
    5- Your battery condition is just deteriorating- it happens.

As with all this, I have a few 'remedies' that may help:

1- First uninstall any un-needed apps, and then disable any un-needed apps (For example, if you're using a 3rd party phone app, disable the stock);
    2- Setup Power Saving modules. Android have their own power saving options, but I like to be able to set my boundaries. One application that I stand behind 100% would be Snapdragon Guru- going into more detail you can setup on AutoMateIt (not sure about Tasker) where; at X% battery, turn off: WiFi, 3/4G, Sync and dim lights to X amount, with screen turn off at X time- a nifty way to reduce usage.
    3- Note your activities, and get a feel for how long the phone lasts- try and make a routine schedule for when charging. For example use your phone from 05:30am to 08:30pm, and charge overnight.
    4- Pay attention to what apps appear to be using the most power, and see if you are able to either restrict the refresh cycles- Snapdragon does this well!
    5- Note when you are in poor reception areas etc, and then try and place the phone into Airplane Mode.

These small options may help extend your life on your phone.
    Last edited by Michael Nancarrow; 05-25-2014 at 09:02 PM.
    Regards
    Michael Nancarrow
    Thanked by:
    mchi5 

Exactly what he said above... Nicely said

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk
    Thanked by:

I had a huge drain recently. Seems to have been the download manager trying to get a file that didn't work right. Reset the cache and cleared the data and it stopped looking.I then had to unmount and remount my SD card to link pics and music back up.

I also use Battery Doctor and it helps by stopping apps.

This is what I got this weekend:

How Long Do Batteries Last-uploadfromtaptalk1401077041147.jpg

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by KiltedMP; 05-25-2014 at 11:07 PM. Reason: updating info

Quote Originally Posted by KiltedMP View Post
    I had a huge drain recently. Seems to have been the download manager trying to get a file that didn't work right. Reset the cache and cleared the data and it stopped looking.I then had to unmount and remount my SD card to link pics and music back up.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1401077041147.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	55.3 KB 
ID:	119973

Wow, I cannot get 2 days off my phone! (Although I am always on it). I think the biggest issue is with apps running in the background- give this a read also! HTG Explains: Why You Shouldn’t Use a Task Killer On Android
    Regards
    Michael Nancarrow

Quote Originally Posted by KiltedMP View Post

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1401077041147.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	55.3 KB 
ID:	119973

No offense but it all depends on how you use your phone. As you notice it says cell standby is the first item and screen time is near the bottom of that list. I'm assuming you barely used your phone during that time.

For me who use the phone all day long my screen time would be first or second, and certifications standby wouldn't even be on the list.

A better indicator of actual battery life is the screen on time, (time in which the screen is actually on) which you get by clicking on the screen time row

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk

This was just to provide that it can get good battery life. In normal use, I get 12 to 15 hours.

Still, 48 hours with minor use isn't all that bad.

Thanked by:
    mchi5