Question using N3 with a Car Dock

brucedbr

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
Hey all!
I recently bought a car dock, the iBolt to be specific, to use when I'm in my car. I use either Google Maps or Waze a lot to try and avoid traffic in Houston.

Anyway, when I put my phone in the dock, it switches to Dock Mode, or I can back out of that. The problem I have is that none of the voice directions work when in the dock. As soon as I take it out of the dock, the voice guidance starts again. This happens in both GMaps and Waze. It's not one of the docks that support playing through the car speakers too. I've looked through the Dock settings and don't see anything that could cause that, but I must have missed something.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Bruce

Last edited:

brucedbr

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
I know it's been a holiday weekend so people may not have had the chance to see this, but has anyone seen this? I know not everyone uses a car dock, but some bound to. If my explanation doesn't make sense, I can try to explain further.

Thanks in advance for any help, y'all!

Lefty Drummer

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
Ok, might have an answer. Do you use a Bluetooth earpiece by chance? If so, you may need to check settings for where audio gets directed when the phone is in the dock. I have the iBOLT active dock with the USB audio out hooked to the back side of my 4Runner stock radio. It was extremely annoying to me that I couldn't have my Bluetooth earpiece on and ready for phone calls and still hear music through the stereo. Well turns out there are settings for what exactly gets piped to the Bluetooth. It's under the settings for your Bluetooth paired device. My voice directions work just fine; but then again I have all audio except phone calls routed to my stereo.

Sent from my Awesome Note 3 via the Android Central Forums App

brucedbr

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
Ok, might have an answer. Do you use a Bluetooth earpiece by chance? If so, you may need to check settings for where audio gets directed when the phone is in the dock. I have the iBOLT active dock with the USB audio out hooked to the back side of my 4Runner stock radio. It was extremely annoying to me that I couldn't have my Bluetooth earpiece on and ready for phone calls and still hear music through the stereo. Well turns out there are settings for what exactly gets piped to the Bluetooth. It's under the settings for your Bluetooth paired device. My voice directions work just fine; but then again I have all audio except phone calls routed to my stereo.

Hmmm. I do have a Bluetooth earpiece, but it's not paired right now. I did a reset on my phone about a month ago and haven't re-paired it. Maybe if I do that, it'll give me more control? hmm. I'll check it out. This is really frustrating!

Thanks for the reply! Appreciate it!

Lefty Drummer

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
Also make sure under Settings/Accessory that Audio output mode is NOT checked. When it says 'external speakers' I believe that means out the USB connection, whether or not you have such a cable connected. Hope this helps!

Posted from my Awesome Note 3 via Android Central App

brucedbr

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
Also make sure under Settings/Accessory that Audio output mode is NOT checked. When it says 'external speakers' I believe that means out the USB connection, whether or not you have such a cable connected. Hope this helps!

Posted from my Awesome Note 3 via Android Central App

THAT was it! The external speakers box was checked. You're right. It means something going through the USB apparently. FINALLY! I was just about ready to return my iBolt...not because it was bad, but there was no use for me to keep it if I couldn't use it the way I wanted.

Thanks so much, Lefty!! Really appreciate the help! I KNEW it had to be some little something I was missing...just couldn't figure out what that was!

Bruce

Lefty Drummer

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
You're welcome, glad it's working for you! I love my ibolt dock, and having integrated audio in the USB cable is a bonus!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae