Please help w/ "modified" secondhand Verizon Note3. Getting back to stock.

mgftp

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
I don't want this post to be too long but I need some help here, let me sum it up.

I purchased a secondhand Note3 at what I thought was a good price ($300) off Ebay. I got it an it's been "modified", I see this SafeStrap thing at startup and a SuperSU App. I used the "RootChecker" app to see if it's rooted and it tells me no, although when I use Google to me it seems a device has to be rooted to have SafeStrap and the SuperSU app so I am already confused. I have owned 5-10 Android phones and love the platform, I have thought of rooting every one of them to get rid of bloat but get confused and scared whenever I look into it so although I consider myself technology friendly I know not much of this rooting, flashing, roms, kernel scene. So:

- My goal is to get this phone back to stock setting, no SafeStrap or root of any kind if it's there, so the phone operates and is just as it would be if purchased new from Verizon. What is the easiest way to go about doing this?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I don't want this post to be too long but I need some help here, let me sum it up.

I purchased a secondhand Note3 at what I thought was a good price ($300) off Ebay. I got it an it's been "modified", I see this SafeStrap thing at startup and a SuperSU App. I used the "RootChecker" app to see if it's rooted and it tells me no, although when I use Google to me it seems a device has to be rooted to have SafeStrap and the SuperSU app so I am already confused. I have owned 5-10 Android phones and love the platform, I have thought of rooting every one of them to get rid of bloat but get confused and scared whenever I look into it so although I consider myself technology friendly I know not much of this rooting, flashing, roms, kernel scene. So:

- My goal is to get this phone back to stock setting, no SafeStrap or root of any kind if it's there, so the phone operates and is just as it would be if purchased new from Verizon. What is the easiest way to go about doing this?

Thanks in advance.

I am not very good with Verizon devices. However, if this were any other carrier, I would say simply reflash the stock ROM with Odin. You can find files on Sammible .com, and I can link to a guide that has steps to use Odin.

Verizon's typically are trickier. They tend to encrypt bootloaders and such so that just using Odin isn't that simple. I would check out YouTube and enter 'Verizon Note 3 Odin' and see what results come up.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...ide-samsung-how-flash-stock-rom-via-odin.html

Lefty Drummer

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
Definitely check out YouTube, there are videos demonstrating how to return to stock via Odin. Pretty painless.

Posted from my Awesome Note 3 via Android Central App

mgftp

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the replies guys.

So if I can follow the steps to flash a stock rom with Odin I will be completely back to stock? It'll wipe out any root, unlocking, safestrap, or other modification that was made to the device from the previous owner?

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the replies guys.

So if I can follow the steps to flash a stock rom with Odin I will be completely back to stock? It'll wipe out any root, unlocking, safestrap, or other modification that was made to the device from the previous owner?

The only thing that is questionable is relock the bootloader.

From a Carbon M8 and AC Forums app

mgftp

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
The only thing that is questionable is relock the bootloader.

I am so sorry for my ignorance on this but would you mind explaining what that means exactly?

I take it we are assuming my bootloader is unlocked and by flashing a stock rom with odin absolutely everything will revert back to normal but the bootloader will not relock? If I understand this correctly, how does this effect the device?

Thanks, I really appreciate it.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I am so sorry for my ignorance on this but would you mind explaining what that means exactly?

I take it we are assuming my bootloader is unlocked and by flashing a stock rom with odin absolutely everything will revert back to normal but the bootloader will not relock? If I understand this correctly, how does this effect the device?

Thanks, I really appreciate it.

The bootloader is locked for security. As I recall, Samsung doesn't really lock bootloaders, but Verizon does.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze