Which Root method if any...

bak9799

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
will work with the Note 3 on Verizon after the OTA Kit Kat update, Baseband N900VVRUCNC4?

I'm having a hard time finding anything.

Thanks in advanced!!!

donc13

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
will work with the Note 3 on Verizon after the OTA Kit Kat update, Baseband N900VVRUCNC4?

Thanks in advanced!!!

That's because there is no way (yet) to root once you've taken the OTA.

Sent from my Note 3 via Tapatalk

Lefty Drummer

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site

Thanks in advanced!!!

If you've taken it you're stuck until a method is found. If you haven't, there is a pre OTA leaked KitKat build with root baked in. If you're interested, post here and I'll track down my post about it.

Posted from my Awesome Note 3 via Android Central App

Batman8888

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Lefty Drummer,

I am on a Verizon 4.3 Note 3 (rooted) and was looking for exactly what you mentioned...a pre-rooted version of kit kat. I would greatly appreciate it if you would provide the link that you mentioned.

Thanks.

Batman8888

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Thanks so much Lefty Drummer! By the way, have you run into any problems since you upgraded to KK?

P.S. - Nice drum kit that you have there too. I play as well on a 5 piece Ludwig (but right-handed). ;^)

Lefty Drummer

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
Thanks so much Lefty Drummer! By the way, have you run into any problems since you upgraded to KK?

P.S. - Nice drum kit that you have there too. I play as well on a 5 piece Ludwig (but right-handed). ;^)

No none at all. I feel bad for those that are having issues. Make sure you follow the instructions EXACTLY as written. If you do you'll be fine.

Thanks for the compliment. They're Baltimore Drum USA drums. I played Pearl for almost 15 years, and these are turning 15 next month. They still sound amazing!

Sent from my Awesome Note 3 via the Android Central Forums App

Batman8888

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Hey Lefty Drummer,

First off, thanks again for providing the link you gave. As usual, before I root/flash anything etc., I've read all of the instructions in it's entirety, but I still have a few questions before starting though...

My 4.3 VZW Note 3 is already rooted, but I have never installed any version of Safestrap, so is it necessary to install it first and should it be version 3.65? Once installing it, is there a backup procedure that I'm to follow in order to be able to return to 4.3 if desired?

Next question is where it says that I am to "Verify That You Are Running ANY rooted 4.3 Rom on STOCK SLOT..." I'm not very familiar with the different "slots" so how do I verify that I'm on the "Stock Slot"? The next section also refers to this when it reads to "Boot into stock slot" so again, how can I verify what "slot" the device boots up into?

The rest I've done before many times as far as the flashing in Odin and all, but if you could help me with these questions I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

B.

bak9799

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
If you've taken it you're stuck until a method is found. If you haven't, there is a pre OTA leaked KitKat build with root baked in. If you're interested, post here and I'll track down my post about it.

Posted from my Awesome Note 3 via Android Central App

I have done the OTA update already. I figured there wasn't one available yet, or I would have seen it. Thanks for the reply!

Lefty Drummer

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
Hey Lefty Drummer,

First off, thanks again for providing the link you gave. As usual, before I root/flash anything etc., I've read all of the instructions in it's entirety, but I still have a few questions before starting though...

My 4.3 VZW Note 3 is already rooted, but I have never installed any version of Safestrap, so is it necessary to install it first and should it be version 3.65? Once installing it, is there a backup procedure that I'm to follow in order to be able to return to 4.3 if desired?

Next question is where it says that I am to "Verify That You Are Running ANY rooted 4.3 Rom on STOCK SLOT..." I'm not very familiar with the different "slots" so how do I verify that I'm on the "Stock Slot"? The next section also refers to this when it reads to "Boot into stock slot" so again, how can I verify what "slot" the device boots up into?

The rest I've done before many times as far as the flashing in Odin and all, but if you could help me with these questions I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

B.

B,

You're welcome.

To answer your questions - Yes you need to install Safestrap, ver. 3.65. After you install it, open it and click install recovery. Once you do that, restart your phone and you'll see the Safestrap splash screen. If you touch Recovery, it will take you to the touch based recovery. Safestrap uses slots to install roms safely, leaving the 'stock' rom untouched. You won't need to worry about any slots with this process. You'll automatically be on the stock slot since all you've done is root the phone.
After you install the zip from your SD card and the .tar file from Odin, your first reboot will take a bit of time and Safestrap will have been deleted, the phone will boot with its normal boot splash screens. You'll only need to reinstall the new Safestrap (3.72 for KitKat ) if you intend to install different roms. SuperSu will have been installed, and you can verify root with Root Checker. You'll then be on KitKat stock NC2 just not the latest OTA NC4. I honestly don't know the difference between the two except of course the leaked KitKat has root and at least to this point the OTA does not have root access nor a way back to 4.3 in the event of some sort of disaster.
Backup whatever you feel you need to however you wish. Not required to back up 4.3 unless you really feel like you should. As I said in the event of a disaster you'll probably have to use Odin to flash a stock 4.3 image.
Hope this helps and answers your questions, good luck! Follow instructions and it will be fine, especially since you're experienced with flashing.

Lefty Drummer

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
I have done the OTA update already. I figured there wasn't one available yet, or I would have seen it. Thanks for the reply!

Sorry to hear that. All I can tell you is keep an eye out over at XDA where Beanstown posts, hope that he finds a method to root the OTA.

Batman8888

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Thanks so much Lefty Drummer for your detailed instructions, I really appreciate it! I've been so tied up with work recently that I haven't had much time to address this issue, but I hope to follow your steps and take the plunge really soon. Just a couple more quick questions for you if you don't mind however...

1.) How is your data connection on this version of Kit Kat since it's not the most current/OTA version? This is the problem that I'm having with 4.3 that is making me research updating. I've been recently getting terrible data connections, even after just swapping out my sim card.

2.) Have you found any way around Safestrap's splash screen? I am always concerned about restarting my phone in front of Verizon reps (when taking it in with problems) who may then see the new splash screen and know that I am modified therefore voiding all warranties. Is there perhaps a module in Wanam Xposed/Xposed Installer that will hide that new 3.72 splash screen at startup? If not, I guess it's no big deal since you mentioned that 3.65 will be deleted and I'm not sure that I will even install different roms...just curious.

Thanks so much again for all of your help!

Lefty Drummer

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
Thanks so much Lefty Drummer for your detailed instructions, I really appreciate it! I've been so tied up with work recently that I haven't had much time to address this issue, but I hope to follow your steps and take the plunge really soon. Just a couple more quick questions for you if you don't mind however...

1.) How is your data connection on this version of Kit Kat since it's not the most current/OTA version? This is the problem that I'm having with 4.3 that is making me research updating. I've been recently getting terrible data connections, even after just swapping out my sim card.

2.) Have you found any way around Safestrap's splash screen? I am always concerned about restarting my phone in front of Verizon reps (when taking it in with problems) who may then see the new splash screen and know that I am modified therefore voiding all warranties. Is there perhaps a module in Wanam Xposed/Xposed Installer that will hide that new 3.72 splash screen at startup? If not, I guess it's no big deal since you mentioned that 3.65 will be deleted and I'm not sure that I will even install different roms...just curious.

Thanks so much again for all of your help!

No problem.

1. I have zero issues with data, both before and after the upgrade to KitKat. Of course I live between Baltimore and DC so not much to complain about as far as data coverage goes. Same goes for WiFi, no problems at all.

2. I have no experience with Wanam so can't help you there. Far as I know only way to disable that splash screen is to not install Safestrap. Word of warning: When you install KitKat, the original Samsung Galaxy Note 3 splash screen will also change. The new screen will have an unlocked 'lock' pictured. I have no idea if Beanstown put that there or not. Doesn't bother me since Heaven forbid anything goes wrong I can roll back to stock 4.3.

Hope this helps, good luck!

Batman8888

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Hey Lefty Dummer,

Sorry for all the questions, but I am always VERY through when rooting/flashing etc., but I just have one more question before I proceed...

The 2 steps below, are they both to actually be done in recovery? It looks like it, but the instructions doesn't specify. Thanks so much for all of your help!

- Install De-Odexed or Odexed NC2 zip or Baja Rom KKv1 (from sdcard) (Keep your eyes open for additional 4.4.2 Roms)

- DON'T hit reboot, hit back arrow twice, hit REBOOT, choose DOWNLOAD

Lefty Drummer

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
Yes and yes. Zip files only installed in recovery, and from there follow that next step of getting into download mode. From there you'll go to Odin.

Lefty Drummer

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
Hey Batman (and anyone else reading this),

A little FYI - Last night, I was having an issue with my earphones jack. Tried several remedies and nothing worked. Saw some people suggested the good Ol' Factory Data Reset. SOOooooo, I did, from the settings menu...... Forgot to uninstall Safestrap beforehand. Totally soft bricked my phone into a bowl of Kellogg's Bootloops..LOL I ended up having to Odin the full factory image for 4.3 MJE. What a royal pain in the behind, but it worked. Totally restored my phone to out of the box status. Then rooted via Kingo, and followed above procedure to get back to KitKat. Took awhile, but all is well, and working flawlessly. So it is indeed possible to get back to 4.3 if you would ever need to and have to take your phone to Verizon for any reason.

TheMacs

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
Good stuff! I've been waiting for rooted Kit Kat maturity. Looks like we're getting there. Once I get some time, I'll probably still go your route Lefty. Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith