Questions on Note 3

Casey Cheung

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Okay, so I'm late to the party. Got my new Verizon Note 3 yesterday, the black version with silver trim from Verizon. First thing I notice is that the screen and picture images seem more brilliant than my Note 2. I also dig the extra internal storage, nice! I also installed the Invisible Shield GLASS screen protector by Zagg. Unbelievable!! This screen protector is so smooth, just like glass! Doesn't even feel like anything is on the screen. Suppose to provide extra resistance against shock and drops...we'll see. So far, I think it's worth the pricey $26.

Have some questions for now. Can't stand to read any stinkin' manual, you know how that goes, haha!

1) I deleted the "Internet" icon and can't get it back. I know the Internet function is still there, but I no longer see the icon in my all apps menu. How do I get back the stock default Internet browser icon?

2) When I press the home button twice, something called "My Magazine" shows up. How do I get rid of this? I don't want My Magazine at all to show up if I press the home button one time too many. Or does that require rooting?

3) I can still use my older version micro USB charging cord for the Note 3, right?

4) Is the new style cord suppose to be faster for charging? Like how much faster?

Thank you! -Casey

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
The Internet icon is in the tray/folder that just looks like a 'Samsung' app. You should be able to drag it to a home screen and down to the dock.

Yes you can use a normal size micro usb. It fits on the right. If your charger only puts out 0.7 or 1.0 amp it will be much slower to charge than the fast 2.0 wall charger. If you mean from a pc port, I think if it is a usb 3.0 port you need the wider cable to charge faster.

I've forgotten the rest :)
OK I'm back.
You can disable the My Magazine app, but in the meantime it will want to update to Flipboard.
I was able to disable My Magazine and revert Flipboard and untick notifications and neither bother me now.
I think it will only be a pest if you swipe to type and swipe upwards.

General - Applications Manager - All - My Magazine and Flipboard.

uga8yza9.jpg

dedysanu.jpg

Posted via Android Central App

Casey Cheung

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Ahhhh, yes! Found the "Internet" icon in the "Samsung" icon folder. Dragged it out, worked fine!

Yesterday, I tried installing and reinstalling "Gmail" over and over again as I couldn't find the darn icon. It turned out the freakin' Gmail icon was located inside the "Google" icon folder...duh?!?

Thanks for the info!

The Internet icon is in the tray/folder that just looks like a 'Samsung' app. You should be able to drag it to a home screen and down to the dock.

Yes you can use a normal size micro usb. It fits on the right. If your charger only puts out 0.7 or 1.0 amp it will be much slower to charge than the fast 2.0 wall charger. If you mean from a pc port, I think if it is a usb 3.0 port you need the wider cable to charge faster.

I've forgotten the rest :)

Posted via Android Central App

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Yes its confusing when it's new. There is a Galaxy tray also. Have a look in the main Note 3 forums as well, it covers more topics in general.
I am not fully sure about the cable thing. I will put a link in to another thread when I find it if no one chimes in.

Enjoy.

Casey Cheung

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
That's weird. I see the "Disable" button on your screenshot for My Magazine. But mine doesn't show any Disable button, instead it shows "Force stop" and "Turn off". Pressing the Force stop button doesn't work. The Turn off button is grayed out, so can't use that. Also, My Magazine is version 2.1.0, which is different than yours, if that makes any difference. My Note 3 is up to date with Android version 4.4.2. I'm not understanding how Flipboard relates to My Magazine?

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
That's weird. I see the "Disable" button on your screenshot for My Magazine. But mine doesn't show any Disable button, instead it shows "Force stop" and "Turn off". Pressing the Force stop button doesn't work. The Turn off button is grayed out, so can't use that. Also, My Magazine is version 2.1.0, which is different than yours, if that makes any difference. My Note 3 is up to date with Android version 4.4.2. I'm not understanding how Flipboard relates to My Magazine?

I was looking over the fence in to Verizon as a lot of AC buds are on VW. I am in the UK. In the US, 'Disabled' is changed to 'Turned off'.
If you look right again in Applications Manager there is a column for Turned off / Disabled apps.
Verizon changes access to some things.
My Magazine updated to Flipboard on mine when you swipe up from the bottom screen. I think you can disable the Home button setting.

I will leave it to good Verizon owners to help further.

With the Note 3, I forget more than I learn.

Jalopiejoe - jpr - Spencerdl ?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Pro

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
But Nova launcher will get rid of My Magazine. I forget if it was just automatic or if I had to do something though.

Notes from Deb's Note 3

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
A quickie Casey. If you got it yesterday did it have KitKat already installed, or did you update it?

Another good lady here had severe problems after KK and Verizon wouldn't give her a new one, only a refurbished one she would have to update. Also others were wondering. Thanks.

Casey Cheung

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, I don't know what version of Android came with my new Note 3 purchased yesterday. That's because as soon as the device was activated by Verizon, a message popped up asking to install some new update. I don't know if that update was something minor or major, but it took something like 10 or 15 minutes to install. My device currently reads Android version 4.4.2, but I don't know if it was the same thing or something different prior to the update yesterday.

A quickie Casey. If you got it yesterday did it have KitKat already installed, or did you update it?

Another good lady here had severe problems after KK and Verizon wouldn't give her a new one, only a refurbished one she would have to update. Also others were wondering. Thanks.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Sorry, I don't know what version of Android came with my new Note 3 purchased yesterday. That's because as soon as the device was activated by Verizon, a message popped up asking to install some new update. I don't know if that update was something minor or major, but it took something like 10 or 15 minutes to install. My device currently reads Android version 4.4.2, but I don't know if it was the same thing or something different prior to the update yesterday.

ON EDIT:
That makes sense. They will ship with KitKat 4.4.2 eventually.
But a virgin phone on 4.3 with the KitKat 4.4.2 pushed to the phone straight away, as you had, is probably equally as good, on reflection.

It probably caused a lot more issues for some on phones that have 6 months of software / app updates.

See this thread, but there have been better ones. A lot of people had trouble getting rid of Flipboard.
Also as ehosey2 said, you can go into My Magazine once you agree to it and find a setting to disable the home button start up.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?p=3567648

Casey Cheung

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Ahhhh, yes! That did the trick. After I agreed to the terms, did the update, the My Magazine app no longer pops up by pressing the home button. Niiiice! That was so annoying! Thank a lot!!

ON EDIT:
That makes sense. They will ship with KitKat 4.4.2 eventually.
But a virgin phone on 4.3 with the KitKat 4.4.2 pushed to the phone straight away, as you had, is probably equally as good, on reflection.

It probably caused a lot more issues for some on phones that have 6 months of software / app updates.

See this thread, but there have been better ones. A lot of people had trouble getting rid of Flipboard.
Also as ehosey2 said, you can go into My Magazine once you agree to it and find a setting to disable the home button start up.

Anyone know how can I remove the Flipboard "System App" please? - Page 2 - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I was looking over the fence in to Verizon as a lot of AC buds are on VW. I am in the UK. In the US, 'Disabled' is changed to 'Turned off'.
If you look right again in Applications Manager there is a column for Turned off / Disabled apps.
Verizon changes access to some things.
My Magazine updated to Flipboard on mine when you swipe up from the bottom screen. I think you can disable the Home button setting.

I will leave it to good Verizon owners to help further.

With the Note 3, I forget more than I learn.

Jalopiejoe - jpr - Spencerdl ?

You cannot disable my magazine on the Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 stock. It is grayed out. You can disable it opening with the home button by going into its settings though. You can use the microusb 2.0 cable, charging isn't substantially faster with either assuming the same wall charger, so long as it is a quality cable. The main advantage of usb 3.0 is the faster transfer speeds.

vu4ena5y.jpg

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Yes look at icons. Nicely grouped together. I like it. I had the Note2 and now the Note3. Huge difference.
enjoy!

Posted from my awesome Note3