My first issue with this phone

Lefty Drummer

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
Until now, I've had zero complaints or issues with this phone. Now I've got one. :) I've Google searched this and have tried everything I can think of (cleaning out the jack which I haven't used hardly anyway), including a full reset. Everything started last night, thought I had it fixed this morning, but it's back. The phone thinks I have earphones connected when I don't. Anyone have this issue and got it solved short of getting another phone? I really don't want to have to go that route unless absolutely necessary. What's the warranty period on this anyway? I've only had mine about a month now. Thanks for your replies folks.

Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
Have you tried plugging in headphones and then removing them? Making sure they are fully pushed in. If you have a case on, remove it to do this.

You could try to clean it out with a small amount of isopropyl alocohol at highest percentage you can find, but only if you are comfortable that you know how to do that without damaging your phone or setting off the wet detector.

Most likely you will need to replace it. The warranty is a year, so you don't have to worry about that. You'd be better off first trying to get a replacement from Verizon rather than Samsung, however, because the process can take a long time with Samsung.

Lefty Drummer

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
Yes tried headphones and alcohol. Seems to work for a while then comes back. Right now I'm about 30 minutes without it happening.

Lefty Drummer

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
Yes just strange to be happening so soon. Had my Note 2 about a year never happened.

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
Well any hardware can go bad at any time or have a defect. At least it's better to happen now than a year from now when your warranty is past. If it keeps happening, since you already did a reset, I would just bring it to Verizon when it is happening to show them the problem and see if they will replace it.

If you send to Samsung they will try to fix the part first before replacing the phone. This usually takes about 4 weeks back and forth (unless that has changed recently). And then if their fix didn't actually fix it, you would have to send it back again. That's why I suggest trying your carrier first and only using Samsung for warranty service if the carrier says it's not their responsibility.

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
Well any hardware can go bad at any time or have a defect. At least it's better to happen now than a year from now when your warranty is past. If it keeps happening, since you already did a reset, I would just bring it to Verizon when it is happening to show them the problem and see if they will replace it.

If you send to Samsung they will try to fix the part first before replacing the phone. This usually takes about 4 weeks back and forth (unless that has changed recently). And then if their fix didn't actually fix it, you would have to send it back again. That's why I suggest trying your carrier first and only using Samsung for warranty service if the carrier says it's not their responsibility.

From my experience the Verizon stores don't to anything anymore but tell you to call Verizon to get a warranty replacement sent. They will do simple things like look at the indicators to see off there is water damage, pull the battery, reset your phone stuff you've probably already done.

Posted via Android Central App

Lefty Drummer

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
Yes certainly have done all those things. Frankly I don't think they're too bright most of the time in those places, and they're trained to deal with everyone like they're noobs with no knowledge or experience. Had problems with FIOS Internet a few weeks ago, that guy treated me like I was an (inappropriate content edited by Moderator) .

Sent from my Awesome Note 3 via Android Central Forums App

Last edited by a moderator:

Lefty Drummer

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
I was trying to say (content edited by Moderator) in the previous post but for some reason it crossed out that word...

Last edited by a moderator:

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Yes I tried to call myself that as well once in a post. It detects some words and misses others. I guess, though it's not a rude word, it prevents someone calling another poster that. I grew up in Ireland, where we used to say and write eejit!

Lefty Drummer

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
Well great. Lasted about four hours. I've cleaned the earphones jack thoroughly with alcohol, and thoroughly blown it out with compressed air. And it's back... Very frustrating with a month old phone, especially one so freakin' awesome in every other aspect.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
That's annoying. It looks like you will need to transfer to another phone. Maybe the Samsung smart switch thing, or Verizon, can transfer everything painlessly.

On a dismantling video, those sections come out easily if you know what you're doing.

It will probably make it more annoying if they just take the old one and you will never know what caused it.

Lefty Drummer

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
Alright here's an update. Today the earphones connected notification was on constant all day. Then I had to drive about an hour to a job appointment. I have an iBolt dock for my phone, and had it in there for the drive. It was a hot sunny day here. About halfway to my destination I noticed the notification had disappeared! I'm trying not to get too excited, but perhaps some excess moisture had gotten deep in the jack and needed drying out? I don't know for sure, except that the phone had not had any noticeable moisture that I know of, like dropped in a puddle or sink or something. I'm at approximately five hours since I first noticed it and it's still off. I'll report more later...

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
Alright here's an update. Today the earphones connected notification was on constant all day. Then I had to drive about an hour to a job appointment. I have an iBolt dock for my phone, and had it in there for the drive. It was a hot sunny day here. About halfway to my destination I noticed the notification had disappeared! I'm trying not to get too excited, but perhaps some excess moisture had gotten deep in the jack and needed drying out? I don't know for sure, except that the phone had not had any noticeable moisture that I know of, like dropped in a puddle or sink or something. I'm at approximately five hours since I first noticed it and it's still off. I'll report more later...

I'd send it in for a replacement. Don't just make due with it and then your warranty expires and it really goes out. Just my 2 cents. Also be careful with moisture as if it activates the moisture indicators they wont cover it under warranty.

Lefty Drummer

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
Thanks I appreciate it. My update today is no earphone notification at all. Everything is seemingly ok at the moment....

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I was trying to say (content edited by Moderator) in the previous post but for some reason it crossed out that word...

Please do not use any words that are filtered or attempt to bypass the filter. The system cannot recognize the difference between you calling yourself something and you calling someone else that thing, hence why the word was censored. There are ways around it like saying treating me like I was stupid...

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Sometimes customer care will request the phone be looked at by a rep. They want to know there is a problem
They want to know nothing is wrong that the warranty wouldn't cover.

Posted via Android Central App

Lefty Drummer

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
Today's update, I'll make my final one unless something comes up again. No sign of errant notification for three days...

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Maybe it was a little fluid or condensation as you say then. Unless something unusual took place without you knowing, it shouldn't normally happen though.

Awww, go on - tell us again tomorrow if it's still alright!