VZW Tempered glass screen protector?

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I have it too. Love it. Got mine from Verizon. They put it on for me. I am all thumbs when it comes to screen protector installation. When I sold wireless I had to get help lol

Posted from my awesome Note3

DLCPhototography

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Another option is the "Just Like Glass Nano" by DBA Cases. It has the surface feel of glass, no 'orange peeling', etc., but is thinner. Basically the advantages of Glass, but the thinness of a conventional screen protector. It is stiffer than conventional, and easier to install.

I bought it for my N3 last fall, and love it. Did a quick search, and they seem to have it on sale for cheaper than I paid for it:

Samsung - NANO - Screen Protectors | DBA Cases, Inc.

For what it's worth.

Don

donc13

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
I am wondering why you need any protector? The Note 3 has Gorilla Glass 3 on the front. That's not likely to scratch.

Sent from my Note 3 via Tapatalk

Lefty Drummer

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
R
I am wondering why you need any protector? The Note 3 has Gorilla Glass 3 on the front. That's not likely to scratch.

My bionic had gorilla glass and that didn't help when it fell face first on the pavement. Not saying there's anything short of a complete coverage case that would protect it, but some of these screen protectors can provide some measure of additional protection against certain falls. Also gorilla glass doesn't provide any protection against finger prints. Again some third party protectors if they don't keep them off completely they do reduce them dramatically. My first bionic had Ghost Armor and it was fantastic. I've just been too lazy to get it on here. I think Don's suggestion was a good one based on the product website, fwiw.

Sent from my Awesome Note 3 via Android Central Forums App

Last edited:

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I scratched Gorilla glass one time (not sure how); since then I have used screen protectors....no more scratches. An inexpensive item for a whole lot of comfort. Started using glass protectors back 4 phones ago (Galaxy S3), it's like having no protector at all.

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site

Not hard to scratch Gorilla glass actually. One little speck of sand. And don't think not going to the beach saves you from that. Sand is everywhere. It's also easy to scratch in a fall. Gorilla glass gets scratched and scuffed up all the time from perfectly normal use. If your glass screen protector gets scuffed (which is harder to do for a good quality one than scuffing or scratching gorilla glass) then you just replace it. Also a glass screen protector helps protect cracks from impacts as well. Gorilla glass is easily breakable upon impact. The glass protector will break first.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
But the glass. Protector is just as susceptible to scratches and fingerprints right?

Sent from my Hyperdriven Note 3

Jalopiejoe

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
No, being 9H hardness scale, it will resist most anything. And it takes awhile before it shows any fingerprints then just clean it!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3
"Size Does Matter!"

sarkycow

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
But the glass. Protector is just as susceptible to scratches and fingerprints right?

I'd rather scratch or smash the protector than the screen. My husband dropped his and luckily only smashed the bottom of the screen protector - by the home button and luckily the screen was fine.

He accidentally smashed the screen on my first note 3 and we had the choice of paying the $99 deductible or ~ $200 that the places we called were quoting to replace it. So, we went with the deductible and got the screen protector! Ha

I don't find the protector as bad as the plastic ones for fingerprints and make up (holding the phone to my ear) which I like because I always carried screen wipes in my purse.

Sarks.

Posted via Android Central App

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Really? Of course it is....but at least you replace the "protector" at a nominal price. Which would you rather replace?
Let me give you some additional examples of this phenomenon called protecting your valuables and interests:
Car cover
Safety glasses
Steel toed boots
Phone case
Laptop sleeve
Painting your house / deck

Casey Cheung

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
I have the tempered glass screen protector on my new Note 3. It's simply amazing. So much better than the plastic junk. I have literally spent hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of dollars on so many different brands of screen protectors over the past 20 year dating back to the ancient Palm Pilot days. This glass screen protector stuff is far superior to any other screen protector I've ever used. Truly the best.

I need a new screen protector. (i think) Am I better off with VZW glass or VZW plastic screen protector. Cannot buy one from internet because I cannot put it on myself.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Nice to hear from people. Sounds like no disadvantages?

It is thicker and heavier than plastic. Not a huge amount though. If you have a very tight case then it might not fit well. But should work with most cases. Well worth it though. Tempered glass feels way better than plastic, and less smudges.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I have the vzw kickstand case/ belt clip. It is pretty tight. It is fairly stiff plastic and difficult to remove and put back. I wonder if anybody else has this case with tempered glass?
avuqe5e6.jpg

Casey Cheung

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
I have EXACTLY the same kickstand hard plastic carry case from Verizon, yes it's a tight fit. The glass screen protector works fine with the same case. I will say though that I don't use the front part of the carry case, only the back side that holds the phone. As others have pointed out, the glass screen protector is thicker than the plastic stuff, but you don't notice it. The glass protector FEELS so much better than the plastic stuff.

I have the vzw kickstand case/ belt clip. It is pretty tight. It is fairly stiff plastic and difficult to remove and put back. I wonder if anybody else has this case with tempered glass? http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/26/avuqe5e6.jpg

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I only use the back too but i was worried about the two side edges that tightly grip the screen. The glass fits under them?

Casey Cheung

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Yes, my glass screen protector fits perfectly within the tight carry case. Obviously, it requires installing the screen perfectly in position. Fortunately the sales girl at the Verizon store installed it for me, and she did a perfect job (and for free too). Prior to installing the screen protector, the sales girl used scotch tape to remove any potential dust from the naked phone screen, which I thought was a nifty trick. As an aside, a local Best Buy store actually charges $7 to install the same screen protector. Can you believe that??

I only use the back too but i was worried about the two side edges that tightly grip the screen. The glass fits under them?

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Just had it installed at vzw. I was a little nervous because it took a long time and my phone is rooted and safestrapped with a custom rom. She did turn on the phone but didn't say anything about the unusual start sequence. BTW, the system is down nationwide at the moment so they cannot sell anyone a phone. Turned away a dozen customers while I was there.

To soon to make any judgments but it actually feels more slippery than the bare screen not that that matters.

If anyone asked me about disadvantages I would mention the the home button is indented now due to thickness of glass.