Trouble charging Note 3

Karen Maxson

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
I'm having trouble charging my Note 3 - I keep getting the error message, "To charge faster, use the original charger". I AM using the white charger that came with the phone. I took the phone to a Verizon store and they removed the battery and put it back in and it worked fine. That was yesterday - tonight I'm having the same problem!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! The battery might be starting to fail. Try a replacement battery. A quick way to check your battery's health is to remove it, lay it flat on a table, and try to spin it. If it spins, it's bulging in the middle, which is bad. But even if it doesn't spin, it may be worth trying a replacement.

Also, chargers and cables can become faulty. Have you tried a different one? MicroUSB cables and chargers are mostly interchangeable these days.

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
It's likely the cable needs to be replaced.
That is my guess as well. I have trouble charging mine with the included cable. Although I do not get an error message the phone just doesn't charge sometimes. I don't think the cable is fitting properly because all it takes is a very tiny wiggle and it stops charging.

I purchased an upright charger to set the phone in which works much better. It cost me $7 or $8 dollars on Amazon.

Notes from Deb's Note 3

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, there have been issues with the included OEM cable from the beginning. Don't know if they were ever fixed and there are still some old cables out there or if they are still being newly sent out with the same issues. For some reason Verizon folks seem to have more trouble with them than others. The cable should be the same for everyone though so maybe that's just a coincidence - or maybe the Verizon phones are just more sensitive to whatever is wrong with the cable.

The employees at the store the OP went to should have known about it and replaced the cable for her, but sadly they are often clueless. If the OP doesn't want to replace it herself, then I would suggest she call Verizon and ask for a new cable.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Verizon should give a new charger. My note2 charger went defective and they gave me a new charger. Luckily the note3 has been good.

Posted from my awesome Note3

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
Had the exact same issue start about 2 weeks after purchase, posted about here a few months ago. It was the USB cable as mentioned by others. They just ordered me a replacement free of charge.

Posted via Android Central App

kimberly19802003

Jun 24, 2014
Visit site
For all having a problem with charging. If you have an old Samsung charger you can use that. The plug it smaller but you will ONLY be plugging the charger into one side of your charging port on your phone. I tried it and now my phone charges. This has been an ongoing problem with the chargers. The charger is under warranty for a year I believe. This method will help you get your phone charged.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Like others said it is most likely the cable. I use a few micro usb 2 cables for charging without issue. On the stick cable I sometimes get that message.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

donc13

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, there have been issues with the included OEM cable from the beginning. Don't know if they were ever fixed and there are still some old cables out there or if they are still being newly sent out with the same issues. For some reason Verizon folks seem to have more trouble with them than others. The cable should be the same for everyone though so maybe that's just a coincidence - or maybe the Verizon phones are just more sensitive to whatever is wrong with the cable.

The employees at the store the OP went to should have known about it and replaced the cable for her, but sadly they are often clueless. If the OP doesn't want to replace it herself, then I would suggest she call Verizon and ask for a new cable.

Verizon doesn't carry USB 3 cables or chargers with cable made by Samsung. I had to get mine replaced directly from Samsung.

This was back in March....I doubt it's changed since then.

Sent from my Note 3 via Tapatalk

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
A big red corp. store made you contact Samsung for a replacement cable? I'd have been peeved if they would've pulled that on me. Least they can do is order it.

dc5_k20z1

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Karen, I've experienced this issue with a white / rose gold note 3. This is the second Samsung OEM USB cable I've had replaced because I get that exact same message. I have a black note 3 as well and have never had the issue at all. Do you have a white or rose gold note 3? Also, I went to a standalone corporate Verizon and told them that I needed a new cable to be replaced, they tested it out with the one I had, saw it happen and went to the back and got me a new one in packaging. Not sure if they just got one out of a Samsung phone box or not, but at first she told me they'd have to order it, then she went back again and came back out with a new one for me. Everything was fine for about 4 days, then even with the new 3.0 USB charger, it still happened and the white note 3 still gets that message. I think there is a defect in the white and rose gold note 3 charge ports possibly or the 3.0 charge wires are real shoddy, but most people that I hear are having these issues are owners of the white note 3's.

Lefty Drummer

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
Very sorry for those of you having charging issues. Just to report I have a white N3 and I have no problems with either the USB 3.0 cable or older 2.0 cables, on both Samsung or non Samsung chargers. My wife has a white S5 and it too has the USB 3.0 port and also has no issues with charging across various chargers/cables. My 2 cents....

Sent from my Awesome Note 3 via Android Central Forums App

donc13

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
A big red corp. store made you contact Samsung for a replacement cable? I'd have been peeved if they would've pulled that on me. Least they can do is order it.

Yup, big red corp store (not a reseller) had nothing. I called Verizon direct, they do not carry a USB 3 cable period. And they don't carry Samsung branded chargers with cable either. They told me to contact Samsung.

I did, Samsung had me send them the old cable. After they got it, they had me fax them proof of purchase (receipt from verizon) and then they sent me a new charger with cable included. I presume that means they don't carry the cable as a separate item.

Anyway...the new cable works fine....the whole process takes about 3 weeks. That did **** me off.

Sent from my Note 3 via Tapatalk

hdhuntr

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Slightly off topic but seems like a good place to mention wireless charging with Koolpad is not expensive at all. I got my coil separately before I knew they had them too. LOVING it for about a month. $37 total. I cannot tell the coil is there at all. Working with my Spigen cover. Also posting as Wireless Charging.
Amazon.com : Koolpuck Black Body with Blue Grip : Cell Phones & Accessories
Amazon.com: PThink Ultra-thin 0.5mm Qi Wireless Charging Receiver Card Coil for Samsung Galaxy Note III 3 N9000 N9005 with Full NFC Support: Cell Phones & Accessories