Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree11Likes
  • 1 Post By Gekko
  • 2 Post By Jalopiejoe
  • 2 Post By beh
  • 1 Post By Jalopiejoe
  • 2 Post By sarkycow
  • 2 Post By tada1096
  • 1 Post By BBSeattle
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default buying a used note 3

im buying a used note 3 form someone off craigslist and im wondering if they still have the ESN numbers that i need to call and see if its good or can i just stick my sim card from my S3 in the phone and see if it activates. just wondering what i should check so i dont buy a stolen phone? thanx

Default Re: buying a used note 3

meet the seller at an official Verizon retail company store and have a Verizon employee check the phone and ESN there before you hand over any money.

good luck.
    Jude526 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    meet the seller at an official Verizon retail company store and have a Verizon employee check the phone and ESN there before you hand over any money.

good luck.
    GREAT Suggestion! 👍😉👌

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    "Size Does Matter!"
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Well a official store isn't a option. The closest one to me is 60 miles.

Posted via Android Central App

Get the ESN and call VZW they can check it.

Notes from Deb's Note 3
    Deb
    Save a life & make your life better.
    Adopt a rescue or shelter dog.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

I asked about seller and she said there wasn't a Esn number listed there were a few sets of numbers that didn't say anything by them so I'm going to assume one of those is a Esn? So is what I heard about just putting my s3's sim card in the phone no good and do I need a new sim for the new phone?

Quote Originally Posted by tada1096 View Post
    I asked about seller and she said there wasn't a Esn number listed there were a few sets of numbers that didn't say anything by them so I'm going to assume one of those is a Esn? So is what I heard about just putting my s3's sim card in the phone no good and do I need a new sim for the new phone?

Ask for the MEID# under the battery. With that you can call Verizon or Samsung.
    If they won't give you that, I would walk! 😡👎

"Size Does Matter!"
    sarkycow and Madd54 like this.
    beh

Global Posts
    464 Global Posts

Absolutely!!!!
    If the seller won't supply the MEID# don't even consider the purchase.
    Galaxy Note 3 SM-N900V
    Galaxy Note 8 SGH-1467
    Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 SM-P900
    Jude526 and sarkycow like this.

P.S. It could be a Chinese Fake!👎
    There's alot of those around!
    Won't work on 4G, No IR blaster, No 32 gb among other things! 😨
    You can buy a brand new knockoff for about $85.00.

"Size Does Matter!"
    Last edited by Jalopiejoe; 06-23-2014 at 12:22 PM.
    sarkycow likes this.

I would also be sure to get a copy of their drivers license, car license plate etc, meet at their home (TAKE a friend(s)). If something does go wrong (bad esn, fake etc) and they basically stole from you then you will have more than just an email/phone/name. As people often use fakes.

If they're unwilling (in person) to show you ID or let you take a photo or copy down their name and DL # etc then I'd be wary. I understand people not wanting to give out personal info but if you're investing a lot of $ in buying something from them then I'd want to at least see their ID and make sure it matched whom I was meeting in person.

I've always done this when buying stuff from people on Craigslist and honestly I haven't ever had anyone having a problem showing me ID before I give them $. (And vice versa when I've been the seller).

As far as my knowledge goes about the ESN (people on here know FAR more than I) if the ESN is bad then you won't be able to use the phone even with your s3 sim.

Good luck!

Sarks.

msndrstood and Madd54 like this.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

OK thanks for the info she gave me all the numbers that were under the battery and it had a Esn just wasn't labeled as that. Called Verizon and they said it was good to go.

Madd54 and Jalopiejoe like this.

OK thanks for the info she gave me all the numbers that were under the battery and it had a Esn just wasn't labeled as that. Called Verizon and they said it was good to go.

You always want to be careful. If a seller isn't wanting to meet in a store or public place that is definitely a warning. Also best to get a new SIM. They are free

Posted from my awesome Note3
    sent from either my Samsung Galaxy Note2 or my
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1

Any chance the ESN she gave you was from a different phone?
    I bought one phone off of Craig's List; met the guy at Starbucks, got the numbers off the phone myself and called Verizon on the spot.
    Checked every aspect that I could on the phone before I handed over the money. The guy was really cool about it and insisted I take every measure to make sure that I was comfortable with the purchase. Turned out to be a great purchase from an honest guy.
    sarkycow likes this.