Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jpr
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Boot to recovery mode

Lately, my phone will not got to the recovery screen when I power off and hold "power, volume up, and home key. I saw the alternate way was to press all three keys except"volume down" instead of up. I get this screen and just want to know if I should continue. I just let it reboot to avoid any problems.
    I just want to do the occasional clear cache.

from "Ms Note 3"

Default Re: Boot to recovery mode

Sometimes it's just hard to press the 3 buttons just right.

I'd just try a few times until you get it right.

Posted via Android Central App

I had the same thing happen. What I did was hit the down volume control to restart the phone and that took care of it. But what I am stuck on is the volume up, home, power combination giving me "Unauthorized software installed contact Verizon" screen.
    jpr

Global Posts
    1,702 Global Posts

You should just cancel from that screen and reboot. Pressing the down Volume key instead of the up key gets you into download mode, not recovery mode. Download mode is for flashing ROMs, etc.

I'm assuming your Up volume key works normally when the phone is fully booted? If it does and it's not a hardware problem, then I have only heard of people having the problem you are having when they are rooted and have messed up their recovery. Are you rooted? If not, try removing your battery for 5 minutes and see if it makes a difference.

You can also get into recovery mode using adb and debugging mode. If you don't already have it installed on your computer and know how to use it, that may seem like more trouble than it is worth to you though. But it's not hard. Just read any of the many tutorials online. Once you know how to use it, it's easy to get into recovery. But you should ideally figure out what is wrong with your phone.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

I'm not rooted. I'll try the battery pull when I get a break at work.

from "Ms Note 3"
    jpr

Global Posts
    1,702 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sauermk97 View Post
    I had the same thing happen. What I did was hit the down volume control to restart the phone and that took care of it. But what I am stuck on is the volume up, home, power combination giving me "Unauthorized software installed contact Verizon" screen.
    It's sounds like you did what I mentioned in my reply to the OP - rooted and didn't do things correctly. Head over to xda developers forum and figure out how to get your phone flashed correctly back to stock.
    Lefty Drummer likes this.

I believe the note 3 has a fast boot method like the EVO's use to have. I have to pull my battery everytime I want to go into recovery and clear cache. Oh and use the up button not the down one