VZ Unlimited Data Tethering

WillYammer

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
I've got an unlimited data account and have not been able to use FoxFi since the KK update.
I know it's and old song but I've searched here and other places and found plenty of supposed ways to get it working but have not found success. Is there a fix? USB tether is less than reliable.
Thanks!
:-\

Casey Cheung

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
I recently bought my new stock Verizon Note 3 phone with Android version 4.4.2. Foxfi continues to work for me. However, I now notice there is an extra step involved in order for Foxfi to work. The Foxfi app now gives me a pop-up screen that reads "Almost there, an extra step is needed on this phone. Please select "Go to Settings" below and turn on "Mobile Hospot" within 30 seconds. If it shows a "Call to Subscribe" message, just Cancel/Decline and try turning on again."

I then go to Mobile Hotspot to turn ON the the function, and Foxfi takes a few seconds to start up. Yes, I periodically get that error message that I must call Verizon to activate my mobile hotspot, but I simply cancel out of the message. Sometimes I might have to cancel out of that error message a few times and re-do over again until Foxfi finally works. I recall a couple times on certain days whereby Foxfi never worked on those days, and I had to wait until the next day to try again for it to work. Weird. In any case, I just used it the other day and today, and it still works for me.

I've got an unlimited data account and have not been able to use FoxFi since the KK update.
I know it's and old song but I've searched here and other places and found plenty of supposed ways to get it working but have not found success. Is there a fix? USB tether is less than reliable.
Thanks!
:-\

WillYammer

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
I recently bought my new stock Verizon Note 3 phone with Android version 4.4.2. Foxfi continues to work for me. However, I now notice there is an extra step involved in order for Foxfi to work. The Foxfi app now gives me a pop-up screen that reads "Almost there, an extra step is needed on this phone. Please select "Go to Settings" below and turn on "Mobile Hospot" within 30 seconds. If it shows a "Call to Subscribe" message, just Cancel/Decline and try turning on again."

I then go to Mobile Hotspot to turn ON the the function, and Foxfi takes a few seconds to start up. Yes, I periodically get that error message that I must call Verizon to activate my mobile hotspot, but I simply cancel out of the message. Sometimes I might have to cancel out of that error message a few times and re-do over again until Foxfi finally works. I recall a couple times on certain days whereby Foxfi never worked on those days, and I had to wait until the next day to try again for it to work. Weird. In any case, I just used it the other day and today, and it still works for me.

Do you have an unlimited data account? I'm being asked to "Enter password for credential storage". No idea what that is, as I can access credential storage without a PW.

alxarambula

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Yeah it still works, im also on a Verizon Note 3 with UDP. I remember after their last update it wanted me to put a password and some other extra steps. The only issue I remember having was disabling the lock screen but after several attempts I was able to get rid of the lock screen.

Posted via Android Central App

WillYammer

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
Are you denying the credential request? If you are you need to to accept it.

Posted via Android Central App
Here's the procedure I follow:
1) I open FoxFi
2) Click on "Activate WiFi Hotspot
3) Install a certificate and open a VPN
4) Name the cert and click OK
5) asked to enter PW for credential storage in box that pops up. There is a Cancel button and a grayed out OK button that becomes clickable when info is entered into PW box. Since I don't know the PW, I'm shooting blanks.

Casey Cheung

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I do have unlimited data with Verizon under my original contract from several years ago.

The screenshots per the previous poster are exactly the correct steps to follow to activate Foxfi.

As an aside, you should turn OFF your "Wi-Fi" function before trying to activate Foxfi. So if you normally have your Wi-Fi function on, turn it off prior to trying to turn on Foxfi. I have noticed that having WiFi on and trying to activate Foxfi sometimes causes conflicts.

Additionally, as others have pointed out, if Foxfi is asking you to do the credential thing, DO IT! That is an important step. If Foxfi asks your to verify your credentials by checking a box, again JUST DO IT! as in the Nike commercials. Don't question it. Foxfi is a "trusted app", so you sometimes have to answer those stupid, annoying questions, sometimes repeatedly. Annoying, yes. But at least Foxfi works...for me at least. I'm sure it can for you too.

Casey Cheung

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Attached are 2 screenshot pictures of what my Note 3 screen looks like after Foxfi is activated. Notice the 2 icons at top of screen indicating Foxfi is active.

Attachments

• Foxfi Pic 1.jpg
    Foxfi Pic 1.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 30
  • Foxfi Pic 2.jpg
    Foxfi Pic 2.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 30

Casey Cheung

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Here's another screenshot picture. I circled in red the 2 icons at top of screen for what things should look like when Foxfi is successfully activated.

Attachments

• Foxfi Pic 3.jpg
    Foxfi Pic 3.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 30

WillYammer

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
Interesting. So it looks like FoxFi can't install its certificate on my Note, as neither of your screenshots indicate what is in my step 2.
As far as just DO IT for my credentials thing, it seems to be related to not being able to install the certificate. Trust me, I would do it if given the option. Looks like I have to find a work around for getting the trusted credential installed. Any ideas on how to work around that? I just checked and I've got plenty of CAs installed. Maybe via usb connection?

Casey Cheung

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
You might already know this, but do you have the box checked in Settings for trusting/accepting unknown apps downloads? This is probably necessary.

As for the Foxfi credentials thing, that was only a one time request by Foxfi when I first installed the app. It's not something that Foxfi will keep asking you. I seem to recall the credentials thing was an additional app download which took maybe another minute or so to download and complete. If you haven't already done so, why don't you try completely uninstalling Foxfi and doing it over again? Maybe upon the (new) re-install, hopefully Foxfi will ask you to download the additional credentials process. Also, have you paid for the full license for Foxfi or are you using the free trial version? I don't know if this makes any difference. I paid for mine, so maybe my steps might be different versus someone using the free version?

EDIT: Additionally, I seem to recall having to set a PIN security number, which Foxfi requires. There are other threads related to the PIN number thing. Foxfi over the past year has become a little more cumbersome to use, it used to be easier to turn the sucker on. I'm sure it's not Foxfi's fault, as it's constantly trying to overcome obstacles caused by Verizon's forced Android updates. Every time Verizon forces its wretched updates on us, I'm always worried that Foxfi will stop working. Verizon (and other carriers) are constantly adding "bonus" garbage into its updates that block unauthorized tethering. Foxfi is always playing catch up in overcoming obstacles that Verizon and other carriers introduce to block unauthorized tethering. I'm just glad that Verizon is relatively lax regarding unauthorized tethering. I've tried installing Foxfi onto phones by Sprint and TMobile, and I will tell you...it's a b!tch trying to get things to work. I was never able to install Foxfi onto Sprint and TMobile phones cuz those carriers do heavy blocking of unauthorized tethering.
Even if I could install Foxfi onto those Sprint and TMobile phones, the Foxfi app simply wouldn't work and would show error messages.

Interesting. So it looks like FoxFi can't install its certificate on my Note, as neither of your screenshots indicate what is in my step 2.
As far as just DO IT for my credentials thing, it seems to be related to not being able to install the certificate. Trust me, I would do it if given the option. Looks like I have to find a work around for getting the trusted credential installed. Any ideas on how to work around that? I just checked and I've got plenty of CAs installed. Maybe via usb connection?

Last edited:

WillYammer

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
Yep. Purchased version. Worked perfectly before kitkat update. I think the certificate work around is what I need to figure you. Thanks for trying. What tool do you use to mark up your screenshots?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawncompton