going back to verizon voice mail from google voice mail - an odd issue

indygreg

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
Skipping the whys . . . I am going back to using my actual verizon phone number and not my google voice one. Basically all simple.
Except the voice mail . . . but not like you might think.

I turned off the forwarding and now Verizon is for sure doing the voice mail when people call.
I signed up for visual voice mail to get the transcribed voice mails. I cannot get the Verizon voice mail app to run.

Back when I updated to 4.4 I was hit with the vzw voice mail nagging like everyone. So I went into application manager and "turned off' (used to be called disabled) the verzion voice mail app. That stopped the nagging and all was well, until I wanted to actual use it.
I cannot turn it back on. The turn off icon is greyed out (yet the app is very clearly turned off and listed under the turned off section). There is no turn on option. When I click on any other turned off app, the option to turn on is there. But not this guy.

I have removed google voice from the phone and rebooted. No difference.
I have cleared cache from recovery. No difference.
I have turned on other Verizon apps I had turned off to see if there was a dependency and rebooted. No difference.

Any ideas?

DLCPhototography

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I cannot turn it back on. The turn off icon is greyed out (yet the app is very clearly turned off and listed under the turned off section). There is no turn on option. When I click on any other turned off app, the option to turn on is there. But not this guy.

Any ideas?

Check in Settings...Device...Call...Voicemail service...

I'm guessing, but I imagine you have Google Voice selected there. If you change the selection to Verizon, ("My Carrier"), this may then enable you to Turn On Verizon's Visual Voicemail.

Just a thought.

indygreg

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the reply - but that is not it. That setting is carrier. As I said, I uninstalled gv totally in case that was it.

That said, I just bought a s5 as this is just a bit too big. I also like the waterproof aspect and slightly upgraded camera. I am sorry for posting this and then effectively leaving the n3 user base. I will see if I can delete the thread.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs