4g drops to 3g indoors (Verizon)

JCH76

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
My signal seems to drop to 3g when I am indoors in certain places (restaurant, movie theater, etc) and sometimes even 1x, but not at my house. Anybody else have this issue with there Note 3 from Verizon? I have updated to KK too, anybody know how to resolve this issue??

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited:

kg4icg

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
If you are using the new aws frequencies that Verizon has, might explain why, 2100/1700 doesn't penetrate buildings like 700 mhz does.

kg4icg

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
It seems there are a lot of people having this issue on Verizon and it has to do with the last update.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Even before update it can happen. I was at a friend's on the 4th. Had 3g. As long as I have service it isn't a concern for me. Same at work. I never get bumped off or have dropped calls. Not a problem.

JCH76

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
Even before update it can happen. I was at a friend's on the 4th. Had 3g. As long as I have service it isn't a concern for me. Same at work. I never get bumped off or have dropped calls. Not a problem.

My thing is it affects my data/Internet

mwb1957

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
For what it's worth my N3 and my last LG smartphone both would drop to 3g.

I learned to re-start the phone, and they would return to 4G most of the time.

Posted via Android Central App from my Rose Gold Samsung Galaxy Note 3

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
If you are using the new aws frequencies that Verizon has, might explain why, 2100/1700 doesn't penetrate buildings like 700 mhz does.

The phone should automatically switch from xlte to 700MHz.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
The phone should automatically switch from xlte to 700MHz.

Mine has been doing same thing. I'm tired of turning my phone on and off to get 4g. It's bad enuf the rates we pay just to have 4g...it would be nice if I could use it again!

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Sometimes turning airplane mode on and off can fix it. Not ideal though, but quicker than a restart.

ansa82

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
My signal seems to drop to 3g when I am indoors in certain places (restaurant, movie theater, etc) and sometimes even 1x, but not at my house. Anybody else have this issue with there Note 3 from Verizon? I have updated to KK too, anybody know how to resolve this issue??

I'm wondering. . Is it best to have the phone set on "global" or cdma/lte? Does it affect anything?

sent from my Note 3

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm wondering. . Is it best to have the phone set on "global" or cdma/lte? Does it affect anything?

sent from my Note 3

I keep mine on global because I travel for a living and I go through areas that are in Verizon's "extended network." You need global turned on to access those networks. It may show a roaming signal (last phone didn't but current one does), but as long as it reports extended network when pulling down the notification bar, you're not being charged roaming rates.

alxarambula

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Yeah whenever I drop down to 3g I just hold down the power button and a phone options screen pops up and I turn airplane mode on and then off. It's a bit quicker then scrolling through the settings.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Yeah whenever I drop down to 3g I just hold down the power button and a phone options screen pops up and I turn airplane mode on and then off. It's a bit quicker then scrolling through the settings.

You can also access it from the notification bar pull down. If it is not a default toggle, you can rearrange the toggle switches

conanheath

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Verizon and their red map is pretty impressive. You can get service in the sticks but their LTE service sucks in all the big cities I visit around Texas. I never keep 4G throughout the day. 3g most of the time I check it. And it was the same on the Razr Max I had before N3. I also have an ATT N3 for personal use and never loose 4G lte in city. But, the trade off is I don't get great service in rural areas with Att. Pros and cons.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Verizon and their red map is pretty impressive. You can get service in the sticks but their LTE service sucks in all the big cities I visit around Texas. I never keep 4G throughout the day. 3g most of the time I check it. And it was the same on the Razr Max I had before N3. I also have an ATT N3 for personal use and never loose 4G lte in city. But, the trade off is I don't get great service in rural areas with Att. Pros and cons.

In LA, i get 4glte everywhere i go outdoors. Most indoors too.

My Co worker has att and it has a weak signal at my building. Verizon is very strong. Really, you need to check your specific areas to see which carrier is best for you

Sent from my XT1028 using Tapatalk

JkMpB

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
I was in Verizon store and mentioned the 4G to 3G problem and they updated my SIM card and the problem is gone. I have 4G in the house

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I was in Verizon store and mentioned the 4G to 3G problem and they updated my SIM card and the problem is gone. I have 4G in the house

Did they replace the SIM card, or make some changes to the existing SIM card? Just trying to make sure I understand in the event I need to try this as a workaround. So far, I'm not encountering the 4G to 3G, or 4G to 1X problem - as reported here http://forums.androidcentral.com/verizon-samsung-galaxy-note-3/401572-4g-1x-no-service-verizon.html

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djaa7