Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    7 Global Posts

My signal seems to drop to 3g when I am indoors in certain places (restaurant, movie theater, etc) and sometimes even 1x, but not at my house. Anybody else have this issue with there Note 3 from Verizon? I have updated to KK too, anybody know how to resolve this issue??

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    1,606 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB

Default Re: 4g drops to 3g indoors (Verizon)

If you are using the new aws frequencies that Verizon has, might explain why, 2100/1700 doesn't penetrate buildings like 700 mhz does.
    7cf26b0d
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    7 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kg4icg View Post
    If you are using the new aws frequencies that Verizon has, might explain why, 2100/1700 doesn't penetrate buildings like 700 mhz does.
    So how would I resolve this issue?

Global Posts
    1,606 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB

It seems there are a lot of people having this issue on Verizon and it has to do with the last update.
    7cf26b0d

Even before update it can happen. I was at a friend's on the 4th. Had 3g. As long as I have service it isn't a concern for me. Same at work. I never get bumped off or have dropped calls. Not a problem.

sent from either my Samsung Galaxy Note2 or my
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    7 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jude526 View Post
    Even before update it can happen. I was at a friend's on the 4th. Had 3g. As long as I have service it isn't a concern for me. Same at work. I never get bumped off or have dropped calls. Not a problem.

My thing is it affects my data/Internet

For what it's worth my N3 and my last LG smartphone both would drop to 3g.

I learned to re-start the phone, and they would return to 4G most of the time.

Posted via Android Central App from my Rose Gold Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Quote Originally Posted by kg4icg View Post
    The phone should automatically switch from xlte to 700MHz.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    The phone should automatically switch from xlte to 700MHz.

Mine has been doing same thing. I'm tired of turning my phone on and off to get 4g. It's bad enuf the rates we pay just to have 4g...it would be nice if I could use it again!

Sometimes turning airplane mode on and off can fix it. Not ideal though, but quicker than a restart.

Global Posts
    676 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JCH76 View Post
    My signal seems to drop to 3g when I am indoors in certain places (restaurant, movie theater, etc) and sometimes even 1x, but not at my house. Anybody else have this issue with there Note 3 from Verizon? I have updated to KK too, anybody know how to resolve this issue??

I'm wondering. . Is it best to have the phone set on "global" or cdma/lte? Does it affect anything?

sent from my Note 3

Quote Originally Posted by ansa82 View Post
    I'm wondering. . Is it best to have the phone set on "global" or cdma/lte? Does it affect anything?

sent from my Note 3
    I keep mine on global because I travel for a living and I go through areas that are in Verizon's "extended network." You need global turned on to access those networks. It may show a roaming signal (last phone didn't but current one does), but as long as it reports extended network when pulling down the notification bar, you're not being charged roaming rates.

Yeah whenever I drop down to 3g I just hold down the power button and a phone options screen pops up and I turn airplane mode on and then off. It's a bit quicker then scrolling through the settings.

Quote Originally Posted by alxarambula View Post
    Yeah whenever I drop down to 3g I just hold down the power button and a phone options screen pops up and I turn airplane mode on and then off. It's a bit quicker then scrolling through the settings.

You can also access it from the notification bar pull down. If it is not a default toggle, you can rearrange the toggle switches

Verizon and their red map is pretty impressive. You can get service in the sticks but their LTE service sucks in all the big cities I visit around Texas. I never keep 4G throughout the day. 3g most of the time I check it. And it was the same on the Razr Max I had before N3. I also have an ATT N3 for personal use and never loose 4G lte in city. But, the trade off is I don't get great service in rural areas with Att. Pros and cons.

Quote Originally Posted by conanheath View Post
    Verizon and their red map is pretty impressive. You can get service in the sticks but their LTE service sucks in all the big cities I visit around Texas. I never keep 4G throughout the day. 3g most of the time I check it. And it was the same on the Razr Max I had before N3. I also have an ATT N3 for personal use and never loose 4G lte in city. But, the trade off is I don't get great service in rural areas with Att. Pros and cons.

In LA, i get 4glte everywhere i go outdoors. Most indoors too.

My Co worker has att and it has a weak signal at my building. Verizon is very strong. Really, you need to check your specific areas to see which carrier is best for you

Sent from my XT1028 using Tapatalk

I noticed this happening ever since they turned on the new XLTE network, even though it's not on in my area yet.

I'm with Mrmoe. In between Baltimore and DC
    Have you tried SEARCH today? LPCZI9G4

I was in Verizon store and mentioned the 4G to 3G problem and they updated my SIM card and the problem is gone. I have 4G in the house

Quote Originally Posted by JkMpB View Post
    I was in Verizon store and mentioned the 4G to 3G problem and they updated my SIM card and the problem is gone. I have 4G in the house
    Did they replace the SIM card, or make some changes to the existing SIM card? Just trying to make sure I understand in the event I need to try this as a workaround. So far, I'm not encountering the 4G to 3G, or 4G to 1X problem - as reported here 4G to 1X to no service. On Verizon

They just replaced the SIM card
    Thanked by:

Just tried the Sim card method. No difference.

Sometimes I am on 3g. Doesn't hamper anything. My phone works well. Calls text Internet.

Posted from my awesome Note3
    sent from either my Samsung Galaxy Note2 or my
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1

I think it has something to do with the radio's in the N3. I got a new work phone about a month ago and have been compareing the two phones. My N3 vs. the work phone droid maxx.Out side the signal strengths are very close to the same on both phones. Inside building the droid maxx has a much better signal than my N3. My N3 will drop to 3G or 1x, and I can't call or text, while on the other phone droid maxx it seems to work fine. They both are on verizon and I am in the Atlanta area.

Just my observation so far.

I am on my replacement phone now which also is a late build. In and out is good reception now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast