Anti-Virus/Security App?

brucedbr

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys!
I realize most of us probably don't use a mobile security app, but I've been thinking about using one. I tried Vipre Mobile Security (I use Vipre on my home PC) and it seems to cause my N3 to bog down. I'm wondering what Mobile Security App are others using with good results?

Thanks!
Bruce

Aglet

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
To use or not to use AV apps is always a good question. Might save some time waiting for a reply if you also check out this recent discussion. I use AVG Free on my tablet, but don't bother with anything on my phone. I'm not sure why! :)

brucedbr

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, Deb and Aglet!

I guess the only reason I'm considering running one is my experience with getting hit with a spyware app a few years ago, despite ME being the one to tell people how to avoid getting hit! It was just the timing when I got hit with one by email (long story, but they were watching a server and I was expecting to get an email from a source, so I never gave it a second thought). That was an interesting discussion thread!

I may try AVG or Kaspersky since I still have a license with them, but if they drag my system down like Vipre did, then I'll go A/V free.

Thanks again for the suggestions!!

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I run the free AVG and doesn't seem to bog my phone down. Granted, when it's scanning, it does a little bit. I suspect most every AV app will do this to some extent unless it has some sort of governing mechanism to slow/stop scanning when you're actively using the phone.

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys!
I realize most of us probably don't use a mobile security app, but I've been thinking about using one. I tried Vipre Mobile Security (I use Vipre on my home PC) and it seems to cause my N3 to bog down. I'm wondering what Mobile Security App are others using with good results?

Thanks!
Bruce

I also use Vipre on all my devices and OSs. I find I have no issues with "bogging down". When vipre is actually updating the signature file I do see my CPU use by Vipre going up to 28% however as soon as the updating is complete (a matter of less than a minute) the CPU use drops back down ot almost nothing for Vipre. Personally, I will gladly have a bit of higher CPU use periodically to keep the signature files very up to date. My 2 cents.

brucedbr

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
That's interesting. At first, my phone didn't bog down, but I started having odd issues with it. Like I'd try and do something...maybe even as simple as typing something, and the phone would seem to just lock up for about 3 to 5 seconds. Then all of a sudden it'd catch back up again. When I get frustrated enough, I'll uninstall Vipre and voila...everything is back to normal. I LOVE Vipre on my home PC, but it sure has some odd affects on my phone.

yarnsrj

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Norton Mobile Security. Norton 360 multi devices bundle with PC. Use this in place of Verizon's security. No issues or bog down.

from "Ms Note 3"