Verizon has ended the DPP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JulesJam

Banned
Aug 9, 2014
Visit site
No, only $200 - 300. Plus I don't have to rely on chance promotions.
I don't know where you are getting that number but the number of the amount of someone else's money I will put toward a new phone is a minimum of $380. The $200 chance promo was on top of that.

[ personal insult removed by moderator ]

Last edited by a moderator:

anon24860

May 19, 2010
Visit site
My math is fine. I will roll over $400-500 into my new phone.

This conversation is over, now that you've started personal attacks.

JulesJam

Banned
Aug 9, 2014
Visit site
My math is fine. I will roll over $400-500 into my new phone.
of your own money. I will use $380+ of SOMEONE ELSE'S MONEY.

This conversation is over, now that you've started personal attacks.
anyone else reading this thread is shaking their head at me for having so much patience with you. WHOOSH is the sound of all of my mathematically valid reasoning passing right over your head.

feel free to cry over the demise of paying full price + a finance charge + tax on the full price of the phone + the subsidy built into your monthly charge. The rest of us who can do arithmetic won't be crying.

This conversation has never been a conversation, it has been me beating my head against the wall trying to explain simple arithmetic to you and you not getting it. My bad. I didn't go to public schools and I forget that a lot of people did.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Hmmm why do I get this feeling we've been down this road before with insults and personal attacks...

Maybe I've been hanging around AC to long and just pick up on this stuff ;)

anon24860

May 19, 2010
Visit site
The sad thing is that you're counciled not to take the bait. Meanwhile the insults that you're expected to bear just hang there.

Frankly, I was being charitable when I called it a conversation. For this guy, a personal choice wasn't sufficient. Not wanting to do creaky 2nd party loopholes fraught with warnings about this and that, torturous procedures, and multiple cautions, as well as the loss of peoples' UDPs didn't matter. Not understanding that someone didn't want to turn having a phone into a little every two year mini-business didn't matter. And ignoring the advantage of not being locked into a contract at a time when all of the carriers are revamping their way of doing business is what is all about.

I just wish that it wasn't like football where someone who responds to a foul gets the flag because I definitely have game against lame and flaccid insults.

JulesJam

Banned
Aug 9, 2014
Visit site
For this guy, a personal choice wasn't sufficient.
If you are talking about me, my comments weren't about your personal choice; just about your faulty arithmetic.

It costs more to do it your way. I have no problem with people choosing an option that costs more because they don't mind paying for convenience. What I have a problem with is someone claiming the more convenient way costs the same or less when simple arithmetic shows you that it actually costs more.

No one is faulting anyone for not wanting to transfer upgrades or pop an existing sim card into a new phone. But I am faulting anyone who tries to tell me paying full price for a phone plus a finance charge doesn't cost more than paying the subsidized price for a phone.

anon24860

May 19, 2010
Visit site
This is the only response that you will get from me. You are blind if you can't see the trashing of personal choices. You are making stuff up claiming that I said that I wasn't paying extra. I SAID that I was paying my own money. I never claimed it cost the same or less. That's just your imagination. And it was YOUR math that was messed up. You forgot that I'd have money back to invest in my new phone. So you couldn't see my figures for what they were - the true (depending on what I could get for the phone in a couple of months) cost of ownership of the phone for the past 9 months. It works the the same if I just ditched the phone and went back to a subsidized phone. Yes, it was worth it to me to pay extra as you will soon see.

You claimed that it was best to get a subsidized phone. Not necessarily. Maybe for you.

All of the quibbling about $2 a month extra was just mundane. We all pay more for conveniences that we want. I would be silly to come up to you when you're buying a coffee and berate you for not brewing at home because it's cheaper. This is a similar thing. I was able to buy my phone on the spot in 10 minutes, make a call on my way out the door and not have to pay full price out of pocket on the spot. And a 10% interest rate is cheaper by a couple of points than the rate on my credit card, and I am free of the shackles of a contract.

All of that escaped you with your fancy private school education.

PS, I too was the victim of a private school.

Feel free to spin away.

JulesJam

Banned
Aug 9, 2014
Visit site
And it was YOUR math that was messed up. You forgot that I'd have money back to invest in my new phone.
um, no. You seem not to grasp that when you buy a subsidized phone, you own the phone and can sell it and get money back just like with the DPP. And as I pointed out before, there is nothing stopping anyone from using that money to buy a full price phone the next year, thus enabling a person to get a new phone every year while still taking advantage of the subsidy.

faulty arithmetic AND faulty reasoning on your part.

JulesJam

Banned
Aug 9, 2014
Visit site
Here, to help you out I have done the math for you.

Using the DPP and getting a new iPhone every year, the first phone would cost:

16GB iPhone cost = $650
8% sales tax = $52
DPP finance charge = $24

Total cost = $726

After a year you pay the phone off and sell it, netting $300 after listing/paypal/shipping fees that you can put towards a new phone. The new phone would cost:

16GB iPhone cost = $650 - $300 = $350
8% sales tax = $52
DPP finance charge = $24

Total cost = $426

Total 2 year cost = $726 + $426 = $1152

So at the end of 2 years you will have spent $1152 in order to have a new phone every year and still have a 1 year old iPhone that you can sell.

Compare this to using the subsidy and then paying full price the next year:

16GB iPhone subsidized cost = $200
8% sales tax = $16
Upgrade fee = $30

Total cost = $246

After owning the phone for a year you sell it, netting $300 for the phone after listing/paypal/shipping fees that you can put towards a new phone.

16GB iPhone cost = $650 - $300 = $350
8% sales tax = $52

Total cost = $402

Total 2 year cost = $246 + $402 = $648

So at the end of 2 years you will have spent $648 in order to have a new phone every year and still have a 1 year old iPhone that you can sell.

Thus, under both scenarios you get a new phone every year and at the end of the second year you still have a 1 year old iPhone that you can sell. But if you take advantage of the subsidy you have only spent $648 compared to $1152 if you don't take advantage of the subsidy, which is a savings of $504 over the 2 year period.

Where does that savings of $504 come from? Well it's the subsidy of $450 plus the tax savings of $36 plus the finance charge savings of $48 minus the upgrade fee of $30. Exactly what you would expect.

$450 + $36 + $48 - $30 = $504.

Not sure why that isn't apparent to anyone without me having to do the math for them, but then again, some people just aren't good at math. But really, do you need to work out the math to know that if you are sold a $650 phone for $200 it will cost less than if you have to pay the full $650 for the phone plus a finance charge?

JulesJam

Banned
Aug 9, 2014
Visit site
If you are looking for a way to finance a full price phone, best buy offers interest free financing for 12 months when you pay full price for purchases over $399. That is yet another reason why it is no big deal that the DPP is gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech