No service in certain buildings

osroubek

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
I notice my Note 3 has no service in my local Target store. As soon as I step outside I have 4G. I was in a Target last week in Ames Iowa and I had 4G throughout the entire store and was able to text from within the store. I am unable to explain this. My phones Network mode is set to CDMA/LTE/EVDO. Roaming access is off. Any thoughts would be appreciated since there are many other examples in the Chicago area where this is an issue

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
CDMA is infamous for this problem, you're not alone, millions of us suffer this problem. Especially those of us with Verizon and Sprint.

I wish I could help but this happens mostly because of the strength of the signal your carrier has in that area and the building themselves.

If you have free roaming, I suggest to activate it as well as roaming data. It might help.

Eric16

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
I have the problem also but with speeds terrible through out Ames. In Boone downtown I get avg 75 mbps full 4G but in Ames like 2 mbps. In Boone though you will have full 4G up down get to about the McDonald's area and South to c 30, nothing but 3G and terrible speeds.

osroubek

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for your thoughts. It's frustrating when I see my daughter standing next to me with a signal but she has AT&T. Also she is using an iPhone 5s but I don't think that matters. I like the Note 3 a lot but probably Verizon is not up to par like I thought when switching from AT&T myself.

Posted via Android Central App

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
CDMA is infamous for this problem, you're not alone, millions of us suffer this problem. Especially those of us with Verizon and Sprint.

I wish I could help but this happens mostly because of the strength of the signal your carrier has in that area and the building themselves.

If you have free roaming, I suggest to activate it as well as roaming data. It might help.

It depends on a variety of factors, signal strength and what not. My Verizon note 3 can make calls in the parking garage at my work. The tmobile 5s had no signal.

Also, at my desk in my office, my co worker has att and has no signal. I get 3-4 bars.

Of course it depends on where you are, tower location, signal, but point being it isn't just a cdma vs gsm issue.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
We used to have this problem when we were in Walmart. Because it was only a matter of about an hour a week it was a little frustrating but we really didn't use our phones that much in the store anyway. If we absolutely had to make a call we would just step outside. In other words it was such a small fraction of time it wasn't that big of a deal.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
It does depend on the building. I manage a lease dept inside a retailer. We use an iPad for some business work along with our working laptop. The signal is horrible and I sometimes have to reach out to our free standing store. But my Note3 NEVER fails me at work. Unfortunately it doesn't have the applications I need from the ipad. The connection is horrible and I try not to use it much. I have talked to tech support but there isn't anything to fix the problem. It's frustrating. But never about my note3

Posted via Android Central App

kg4icg

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site

It is not CDMA that is the problem, It is the frequencies. If Iowa has XLTE and is activated which means the same AWS frequencies that T-Mobile uses, than yes, if you walk into a place built with a metal frame than yes you are going to lose signal. Ever heard of the term faraday cage. Higher the frequencies in MHz, the less they penetrate.

racquetballer

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
It is not CDMA that is the problem, It is the frequencies. If Iowa has XLTE and is activated which means the same AWS frequencies that T-Mobile uses, than yes, if you walk into a place built with a metal frame than yes you are going to lose signal. Ever heard of the term faraday cage. Higher the frequencies in MHz, the less they penetrate.

I would concur with your assessment. No problem before they activated XLTE. Signal with regular LTE (lower frequency) penetrated buildings well. Then they activated AWS aka XLTE and still no problem. Problems started when VZW ungraded my Note 3 to KitKat which turned on AWS on my Note 3 and then signal went to [inappropriate language edited by Moderator] . A lot of venues that I previously got strong regular LTE now get low or no data signal because AWS. I'd gladly turn off the AWS on my phone if I could.

Last edited by a moderator:

racquetballer

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Just had a mishap with my Note 3. Filed a claim with Asurion and will be receiving replacement this Tuesday. Will advise how the replacement performs compared to original.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I would concur with your assessment. No problem before they activated XLTE. Signal with regular LTE (lower frequency) penetrated buildings well. Then they activated AWS aka XLTE and still no problem. Problems started when VZW ungraded my Note 3 to KitKat which turned on AWS on my Note 3 and then signal went to [inappropriate language edited by Moderator] . A lot of venues that I previously got strong regular LTE now get low or no data signal because AWS. I'd gladly turn off the AWS on my phone if I could.
You can, if you are rooted.

Sent from my LG G Pad 8.3

Last edited:

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Just had a mishap with my Note 3. Filed a claim with Asurion and will be receiving replacement this Tuesday. Will advise how the replacement performs compared to original.

Any updates on your replacement? I just received a warranty replacement today as well. I won't be setting it up for a few hours though.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

racquetballer

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Just got my asurion replacement. I Will update. I'll go to my local Home Improvement store where to signal goes to [inappropriate language edited by Moderator] and report back tomorrow. Friday I'll go to AZ Mills Outlet Mall where my signal goes to none and report back then too..

Last edited by a moderator:

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Just got my warranty replacement today. So far at around 2 hours up time downstairs, I have zero time without a signal, where before it could be anywhere from 30-80% . Seems like it did the trick. :)

racquetballer

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
4G is holding at my local Home Improvements store. Speed Test show a weak download @ 3Mbps. Prior to XLTE I was getting 20-30Mbps at the same location.. I'll let you know about AZ Mills Outlet Mall tomorrow if I get time to get there.

Last edited:

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
dejereqe.jpg

All day with no lost signal. After a few tweaks following a disastrous battery life my first full day yesterday, I have 68% left with 2 hours 15 minutes screen on time. I haven't seen that in a while.

racquetballer

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Went to AZ Mills Outlet Mall... WoW phone shows NO SERVICE.. Guess the XLTE is not "PENETRATING" this structure very well.... Soon as I left the structure it magically came back.. Maybe it's time to root and roll back..

PoisonDarts8714

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site

Just the same, the phone should switch back to 700mhz lte when AWS signal strength drops below a threshold. In a target though...

Posted via the Android Central App

Preach2k

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I notice my Note 3 has no service in my local Target store. As soon as I step outside I have 4G. I was in a Target last week in Ames Iowa and I had 4G throughout the entire store and was able to text from within the store. I am unable to explain this. My phones Network mode is set to CDMA/LTE/EVDO. Roaming access is off. Any thoughts would be appreciated since there are many other examples in the Chicago area where this is an issue
It happens at my Local Target, Kroger and my church because of the metal. I switch to WiFi at Target and Church.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals37