Note 3 vs Note 4 Reception

orporter

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
I was in the Verizon store near me where the reception is strong, tower just down the road. My Note 3 which has weak reception compared to my Note 2 and my wife's i phone 5 and now 6, read -101 in the settings. The Note 4 showed -102. These are both almost weak, 3 bars, must be same radios. I am a little concerned that they did note bump up the reception on the new Note 4.

orporter

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
I guess I was hoping for better reception on the Note 4. My Note 3 does not have good reception at all. Love the rest of the features and the screen but as a basic phone it is very weak. I will be interested to hear how the Note 4 performs. If it is indeed better or as good as my Note 2 I will pick one up.

orporter

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
I just up-graded to the Verizon Note 4. First impressions. The reception is much stronger on the Note 4. My Note 3 was awful after the upgrade, period. Nothing I did or Verizon tried helped. My reception out of the box, in my house, is -84 dBm, the 3 never came close to this. My Note 2 had this same kind of performance. I am very pleased with this so far. Hope it holds up. I was tired of having to go where T-mobilers went to make calls at my place of work. I like having a smart phone but I also like having a phone that can make calls where it should. Reception is important as these devices advance.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
As reception improves battery life declines. It' s just an algorithm. You want max reception go moto or iPhone

JimSmith94

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
As reception improves battery life declines. It' s just an algorithm. You want max reception go moto or iPhone

I believe you meant just the opposite. When reception is bad, the phone works harder trying to find and keep a signal, which eats up more battery.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
No, I meant what I said. My Moto gets reception where my Sammy doesn't because it works harder to get the same signal. I took a class in the basement of a building where the Motorola drained from full to 50% in 2 hours and got hot even though the screen wasn't on. My Sammy would drain about 10% in the same time but it lost the signal. The signal is the same no matter what device receives it.

orporter

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
My Note 4 is performing on par or better than my wife's iPhone and so much better than my Note 3. I can make and receive calls in known weak areas. Like I said or tried to say. I am sold on the Note 4 and the reception it is giving me. Sounds like you two are saying the same thing as far as battery life and trying to lock on to a signal. My battery life is great on my phone so far, even in tough areas, I get through a day and have battery to spare.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
The note 4 is way better in weak signal areas than the note 3. The dbm might be similar, but the note 4 gets better speed tests even at the same weak signal.

And even though the note 4 gets better signal, in my usage it doesn't drain the battery as fast as the note 3 in the same weak signal area

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I just up-graded to the Verizon Note 4. First impressions. The reception is much stronger on the Note 4. My Note 3 was awful after the upgrade, period. Nothing I did or Verizon tried helped. My reception out of the box, in my house, is -84 dBm, the 3 never came close to this. My Note 2 had this same kind of performance. I am very pleased with this so far. Hope it holds up. I was tired of having to go where T-mobilers went to make calls at my place of work. I like having a smart phone but I also like having a phone that can make calls where it should. Reception is important as these devices advance.
Are both devices on the same band?

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech