tap to pay

jrsharp70

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
I switched from a Moto X to a note 3, and the other day when I tried to use Google Wallet at an NFC terminal it did not work. Before I try again, can someone tell me definitively if tap to pay is or is not supported for the note 3 on Verizon?

Thank you very much

mrmoe110

Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
No it's not. I don't think any Note 3 supports Google Wallet tap to pay. If I remember correctly it's because the type of nfc chip in the Note 3 doesn't support host card emulation. It's physically possible, but Samsung, Google or whoever needs to write the code to make it work.

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
You have to wait for 4.4.4 for HCE support for the chip. It only works on the Sprint version because they have a different chip. They have 4.4.4 anyway, but it worked before that for them.

jrsharp70

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
Amazing how android users question why things never take off until apple does it.

Uniform application of the feature matters.

Last edited:

jim165

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
The Softcard app works out of the box on the Note 3. Verizon is trying to push it over Google Wallet. It's woefully inadequate when it comes to card support though. I just use the prepaid AmEx card just for the sake of security (don't fully trust putting my personal cards on those systems just yet, Apple, Google, whoever). Works everywhere there is an NFC reader. There are several promotions such as $1 back on every purchase and free Coke products at NFC enabled machines.