4.4.4 Available for normal update. New Observations good or bad?

jim2112

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
I checked for update, and it just became available, I'm going to be a test case and see how it works out. Says it takes 15 minutes after the download. Mine has always been stock and took about 14 minutes.
As I find any problems I will edit this post rather than pollute the thread.

First observation is my stock email will not sync, and asks for my password. I enter it and it still does not sync.
I removed email account and tried to reinstall it and get the same failure. I used the yahoo app and it works until this problem can be resolved. I'm thinking it's my settings, I have several yahoo email accounts on this phone, and only one of them did not work after the update, the rest work fine.

FoxFi seems to work the same.

I'm hoping Google Wallet Tap and Pay starts working, but I don't know if this update will enable it.

Last edited:

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
I got the OTA successfully yesterday and have no issues at all at this point. All my apps including my email and messaging work perfectly and all the contacts, passwords, etc. were also successfully installed.

PoisonDarts8714

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
Signal strength is largely unchanged. It works as well as NC4 in that regard. I never had radio issues with this phone though so YMMV. Some members report having 2 of 3 more bars in the same spot. I believe this is attributed to the phone switching from LTE on band 4 and 13 (Xlte?)

Some app sounds are different, part of this is because I factory reset.

Performance is the same. The stock text messaging app has longer animations. It's slightly faster overall. Camera works just as well.

No glaring defects as of yet

Posted via the Android Central App

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I am getting much better battery life so far. Left it unplugged last night and when I woke up this morning it was at 96%. Typically it would be in the 80's. (I sync everything)

No improvement at all in signal strength. I consider it mediocre. My wife's iPhone 4s always has better signal strength and works in places my note 3 does not.

MrBigFeathers

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I've had the Note 3 since launch and updated last night. Today for the first time since owning the phone the screen wouldn't come on with the home or power button. Had to pull the battery to get it back. Hopefully this was just coincidence.

edit: also have noticed that data stops working occasionally requiring an airplane mode on/off.

Last edited:

MrBigFeathers

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Looks like Samsung didn't test this update at all. We have been graced with the mm-qcamera-daemon bug from the Nexus devices. My battery has taken a nosedive.

46a241ae04fe2c735615aad11559f92a.jpg

knicksfan

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
After updating/installing I can't minimize an app.

When an app is open and then minimized, when I go to the home screen to open another app the minimized app pops up. This just starting happening when I installed the Verizon update yesterday. Is there a setting I should check on or off to stop this from happening

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Last edited:

Markster1

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
After updating/installing I can't minimize an app.

When an app is open and then minimized, when I go to the home screen to open another app the minimized app pops up. This just starting happening when I installed the Verizon update yesterday. Is there a setting I should check on or off to stop this from happening

I'm not having that problem.

ferndog75

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
Signal strength is largely unchanged. It works as well as NC4 in that regard. I never had radio issues with this phone though so YMMV. Some members report having 2 of 3 more bars in the same spot. I believe this is attributed to the phone switching from LTE on band 4 and 13 (Xlte?)

Some app sounds are different, part of this is because I factory reset.

Performance is the same. The stock text messaging app has longer animations. It's slightly faster overall. Camera works just as well.

No glaring defects as of yet

Can you clarify on which apps are sounding different, thanks.

sarkycow

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
I checked for update, and it just became available, I'm going to be a test case and see how it works out. Says it takes 15 minutes after the download. Mine has always been stock and took about 14 minutes.
As I find any problems I will edit this post rather than pollute the thread.

First observation is my stock email will not sync, and asks for my password. I enter it and it still does not sync.
I removed email account and tried to reinstall it and get the same failure. I used the yahoo app and it works until this problem can be resolved. I'm thinking it's my settings, I have several yahoo email accounts on this phone, and only one of them did not work after the update, the rest work fine.

FoxFi seems to work the same.

I'm hoping Google Wallet Tap and Pay starts working, but I don't know if this update will enable it.

I'm really happy so far with the update. For the first time since upgrading to kitkat from jellybean my phone is lasting longer than 14-16 hours (screen on time 4-4.5 hrs). The battery wasn't awful before - but I guess I had gotten spoiled by JB and my switchover to android from apple. The 3-4 days since I've updated to 4.4.4 my battery has been lasting 20-24 hours (with 5+ hrs screen on). I've also been able to put my email addresses (2 personal 4 business) back on push as well as a few other things I'd turned off to conserve battery. It's been nice these last few days not to have to put my phone on charge at 7-8pm like I have been the last 6+months.

I've been lucky to never had cameta, GPS or wifi problems and with the update I still don't have problems with either.

As for other things I've noticed - not much that hasn't already been mentioned. The email notification symbol now looks more cartoon-ish. Android system and Android OS are still using the same % of my battery (always been 35-45% since KK) but now my battery is getting back to JB days.

Sarks.

Posted via Android Central App

SweetWater56

Nov 26, 2014
Visit site
My multi window stopped working,holding the home button no longer works and I can't pull my notification bar down or whatever it's called at the top of the screen..bhaaaaaaaaaaaaa another failed half *** update by Samsung going to try a few things and then I suppose try a factory reset...Such a pain.