Can't tap to pay google wallet

Serial Fordicator

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Verizon must have disabled tap to pay. This is getting ridiculous. I paid full price for my Verizon phone and should be able to use whatever app I want.

jim2112

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
I have read the specific NFC chip does not have the proper driver, but that would not explain why the NFC function works fine with the NFC chips I purchased and also reads the chip in my credit card just fine. I was hoping the new 4.4.4 update would fix the problem, but I tried to get it to work a few days ago and it still does not work for me either. My NFC was on, when I swiped it at the McDonalds it brought up Google Wallet, but nothing worked. It's not like I need it, but when you pay full price for the latest and greatest phone you expect it to function.

tgp

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
I believe the Note 3 is one of few exceptions of devices that can bypass carrier restrictions for tap to pay. I know it used to be one of 3 phones for which it didn't work without Softcard. I have a Verizon Galaxy S4 and Google Wallet tap to pay works fine. I disabled ISIS (Softcard).

jim2112

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
I realize it doesn't work, the real question is why and will it be a software fix it or not. Has anyone been able to make it work with a rooted Verizon Note 3? If so then it's software. Many developers say it's because the chip does not have the right driver, but it seems to work fine with my other NFC chips and devices. There may be a contract from Verizon requiring Samsung to disable it, it came out when the competing Verizon / Tmobile / ATT tap and pay ISIS now known as Softcard was launched.

Although this references the Nexus, it does show it would not be the first time Verizon makes disabling a tap and pay feature a requirement of a company selling their phone on the Verizon network. I never really wanted to mess with rooting, but I may have to give it a shot if root becomes available. I really don't like Verizon crippling my device when I paid full price for it, it belongs to me.

The Galaxy Nexus has arrived in the U.S on the Verizon network without the Google Wallet.
“Verizon asked us not to include this functionality in the product,” a Google spokesperson told Reuters.
Fix; Google Wallet on the Verizon Galaxy Nexus without rooting. Outside USA rooted device needed. Procedure is simple, but not for all successful. Thread on forum.xda-developers.com, with hundreds thousands of posts.

ISIS, Google and all other NFC handsets at USA carriers | nfc-phones.org

The following post elsewhere points to the driver for the NXP version of the NFC chip not having a driver,
but I still have a problem understanding how my NFC functions fine for everything except tap and pay.

[–]BeyondCryptic 3 points 23 days ago*

All Android phones on 4.4 or above, with compatible hardware and software, should support Google Wallet whatsoever. If you're running, for example, a 4.4 AOSP-based rom on an S3, you will not have Tap and Pay support because the makers of the PN544 NFC chipset (NXP) won't release an open-source driver for the PN544. EDIT: Changed 'will support' to 'should support' as per Inspirasion's suggestion.

http://www.reddit.com/r/tmobile/comments/2ievg2/so_is_google_wallet_tap_and_pay_going_to_work_on/

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital