Lollipop for Note 3 soon

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
This is my question. Does this 5+ update really have any productivity value? I honestly cannot see it.

I have 4.4.4 on my Note 3 VZW and it is flawless in my usage. Notifications and multitask are no more intuitive, if even equal IMO. Not seeing a real reason to leave the KNOWN for the UNKNOWN when the update comes available.
Productivity value? None that I could discern.

♻from the Note III🍶

Jalopiejoe

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
My Note 3 has been running Great on KitKat 4.4.4 NK1.
I really don't like the idea of updating to Lollipop, I'd rather not!
Wish there was a way not to take the update other than rooting, that I will not do!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3
"Size Does Matter!"

SweetWater56

Nov 26, 2014
Visit site
Lollipop update is scheduled for a July release. So I'm sure it'll be out in December or maybe November knowing big red.

Posted via the Android Central App

gozirra

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Yeah your "source" also says June-July for the T-Mobile Note 3, which is already on devices, so take that with a pound of salt.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
This is my question. Does this 5+ update really have any productivity value? I honestly cannot see it.

I have 4.4.4 on my Note 3 VZW and it is flawless in my usage. Notifications and multitask are no more intuitive, if even equal IMO. Not seeing a real reason to leave the KNOWN for the UNKNOWN when the update comes available.
I hope the update never comes. I'm not rooted so I cannot block it yet my phone works fine and I see no advantage to another update that is likely to screw something up. More than half of pushed updates either make things worse or do nothing useful.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
If Lollipop allows you to write to your SD card again, that would be enough value for me.

Posted via Android Central App
I'm stock vzw and have no problem writing to my sd card. What is it you can't do? I copy music there. Pictures go there. I copy many of my downloads there. No problem at all.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I'm stock vzw and have no problem writing to my sd card. What is it you can't do? I copy music there. Pictures go there. I copy many of my downloads there. No problem at all.

In KitKat 3rd party apps cannot write to the SD card. So you can't use, say, QuickPic to delete a photo from the camera folder or your 3rd party music app to delete a song. Lollipop gives you the option to grant apps the write to circumvent this limitation.

Baby_Doc

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
If you're not already you should take a look at ES File Manager. A very powerful, yet free, solution.

📐♻from the sliq side with the n.Edge✒🍫

ES File Manager no longer allows me to copy or move files to my external SD card. (It DID work before Android 4.4.4). That's the main reason I am looking forward to getting Lollipop.

Posted via Android Central App

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
If you're rooted, any app running as root can write anything to anywhere. Or you can give the user everyone full access to the card, then any app can write to any folder. No need for the LolliFlop flea circus to use the SD card.

As for the update, 5.0-5.0.2 have the memory leak bug. If Verizon is waiting for test results on their version of 5.1, good for them. Anyone can release bugs - it takes time to release an update with tiny bugs that don't affect many people. (All software has bugs, but bricking a phone [4.3 on the S3], or a memory leak in 3GB [LolliFlop], just isn't acceptable. Would you buy a car if only 3 of the wheels actually turned? Or would you rather wait until they got that "little bug" worked out? [Remember Toyota and the brake pedal that didn't actually stop the car? Just a little bug, right?])

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
If you're rooted, any app running as root can write anything to anywhere. Or you can give the user everyone full access to the card, then any app can write to any folder. No need for the LolliFlop flea circus to use the SD card.

As for the update, 5.0-5.0.2 have the memory leak bug. If Verizon is waiting for test results on their version of 5.1, good for them. Anyone can release bugs - it takes time to release an update with tiny bugs that don't affect many people. (All software has bugs, but bricking a phone [4.3 on the S3], or a memory leak in 3GB [LolliFlop], just isn't acceptable. Would you buy a car if only 3 of the wheels actually turned? Or would you rather wait until they got that "little bug" worked out? [Remember Toyota and the brake pedal that didn't actually stop the car? Just a little bug, right?])

I've read that Samsung addressed the bug in that their TouchWiz replaces the part of the OS that had the memory leak bug. I don't know if that's true but I can say that my Note 3 and Note 4 have been seemingly irrevocably stable and trouble-free since receiving Lollipop a week and a half ago. I also let a G3 audition with me (sadly, it didn't make the team though) and it had Lollipop. In the week+ that I had it, if it had a memory leak or any other issues, it wasn't one that was tangible to me. I simply wanted something else.

None of the Lollipop devices I've had/have have had any tangible performance, stability, or battery issues. I'm one of those extremely rare ones with absolutely nothing to complain about with Lollipop.

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site

I am not sure what you mean by productivity value but on my Verizon Note 4 it brought back the use of the extSD card for storing both data and programs, it added HD phone (i.e. VoLTE), a cleaner more colorful UI, smoother and faster phone screens over KitKat, an improved KNOX and security. This is what I have seen in having the 5.0.1 update for only a day. I have found no issues on my Note 4 at this time. But I would echo the recommendation of many, when you update do a factory reset to get the best performance of the new OS.

cjsmoove

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I've read that Samsung addressed the bug in that their TouchWiz replaces the part of the OS that had the memory leak bug. I don't know if that's true but I can say that my Note 3 and Note 4 have been seemingly irrevocably stable and trouble-free since receiving Lollipop a week and a half ago. I also let a G3 audition with me (sadly, it didn't make the team though) and it had Lollipop. In the week+ that I had it, if it had a memory leak or any other issues, it wasn't one that was tangible to me. I simply wanted something else.

None of the Lollipop devices I've had/have have had any tangible performance, stability, or battery issues. I'm one of those extremely rare ones with absolutely nothing to complain about with Lollipop.

So you have Lollipop on your Note 3 Verizon already??