Galaxy Note 3 Verizon: Lollipop Update

Hghlndr

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
Glad to hear it goes smoothly even without a factory reset for most out you!
Did any of you dismount your ext SD card prior to updating? Just wondering if it would be wise with this update even though I hadn't with 4.4.4....

Posted via Android Central App

SweetWater56

Nov 26, 2014
Visit site
I just took the update, it is definitely different than KitKat!
Running smoothly so far! I cleared the cache partition a couple of times. I'm sure it will take a while to see how it affects the battery life!
What happened to the widgets on the app page? Where do I find them?
A friend at work has a LG G4 on Verizon and his download a few days ago was Lollipop 5.0.1, I'm surprised our Note 3's got 5.0 ?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3
"Size Does Matter!"

You have to hit the settings button and they pop up on the lower right side I believe.

Posted via the Android Central App

SweetWater56

Nov 26, 2014
Visit site
Did any of you dismount your ext SD card prior to updating? Just wondering if it would be wise with this update even though I hadn't with 4.4.4....

I was going to myself and then completely gapped out. I had no issues at all but then I also back everything up using kies.

SweetWater56

Nov 26, 2014
Visit site
I can tell already battery life has gotten way better I've been using my phone heavy today and I started at like 50% and am now just placing it on the charger with 9% left, I'd say maybe 8hrs of heavy use. Kinda excited to see what it's like in a few days. One of the bright sides of this unpleasant sight for sore eyes update.

Jalopiejoe

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site

Yes, I removed my SD card just to be safe!!

"Size Does Matter!"

Jalopiejoe

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Running smoothly so far! I cleared the cache partition a couple of times. I'm sure it will take a while to see how it affects the battery life!
A friend at work has a LG G4 on Verizon and his download a few days ago was Lollipop 5.0.1, I'm surprised our Note 3's got 5.0 ?

"Size Does Matter!"

How the heck do you open multi-window???

"Size Does Matter!"

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
My co-worker told me that she and her hubby were on different WIFI networks when Lollipop hit them and that it took about 2.5 hours each. Is that normal?

Baby_Doc

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site

"Size Does Matter!"

In order to see the widgets you need to press on an open area of a page where you wish to place the widget. Then you will see 3 choices at the bottom of the page, one of which is widgets (the others are wallpapers and home screen settings). Press widgets and all your widget possibilities will appear. You can no longer see all the widgets from the app page.

But another way you can access the widgets is to place 2 fingers on a home screen and pinch them together. The home screens will become temporarily smaller and the same 3 options will appear at the bottom of the creen. Press on widgets, select the one you want, and then place it on any home page where it will fit. (While the home screens are smaller, you can reorder the sequence of the screens by pressing on a screen and moving it. You can even remove an entire screen if you wish.)

A third way to access the widgets is just to press the left menu button on the bottom when on any home screen. The same 3 home screen options will again appear as the screens become temporarily smaller.

Last edited:

Lefty Drummer

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
It took about 30 minutes to download and install both for me.

Pretty much the same for me. No issues, though that first boot after the second update where it stays on the Verizon screen for awhile made me worry a tad!
Got full charge overnight, see how battery does today. I did do factory data reset to make things go as smooth as possible.

Jalopiejoe

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Pretty much the same for me. No issues, though that first boot after the second update where it stays on the Verizon screen for awhile made me worry a tad!
Got full charge overnight, see how battery does today. I did do factory data reset to make things go as smooth as possible.

I just did a couple cache clears in recovery. Phone is running smoothly, and only lost 3% battery overnight. We'll see how it goes today! I won't do a factory reset unless I have to!

"Size Does Matter!"

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Wonder why it took 2.5 hrs respectfully for my co-worker and husband. Does the phone itself matter? They have LG G3 's.

gozirra

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Only thing that jumped out as missing is, the Samsung app store, where I get updates to S-Health, camera plugins, etc. Tried going to samsung.com to reinstall it and I just couldn't find it. Google'd it and found some links from last year, clicked those, they redirect to samsung.com - so did they just eliminate their own app store?

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Only thing that jumped out as missing is, the Samsung app store, where I get updates to S-Health, camera plugins, etc. Tried going to samsung.com to reinstall it and I just couldn't find it. Google'd it and found some links from last year, clicked those, they redirect to samsung.com - so did they just eliminate their own app store?

I think its called the galaxy store or something similar now.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
It sounds like you did a reset before downloading the update, rather than after installing. Was that recommended to you.

fantic

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
Do you have to have a sim card in to update? I'm using a different phone at the moment. I tried to update and it wont let me.

AuburnGrad

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Did the update yesterday and been smooth as can be today. I was having my battery drain and apps resetting more recently on kit kat. But since the update its faster, battery life is back to expected, and apps are more stable.

Baby_Doc

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
I don't think it is necessary to do a system reset before or after the update. It isn't necessary, either, to remove your SD card, or do a recovery cashe clear. I didn't do anything special and my Lollipop upgrade went smoothly and my phone works great. In fact my phone with Lollipop is so snappy and smooth, my Note 3 runs like a newer phone, I would like to call a Note 3.5. Battery life seems better, too.

I have a suspicion that the upgrade was in two parts for a reason. The first part was really just to prepare the phone for the real upgrade, which was the second download. What the first download did may have included the cashe clearing. What else the first download did, I don't know, but nobody, so far, is complaining about any significant upgrading issues. I am glad Verizon took the time to get such a major upgrade done right. It was worth the wait.

In summary, I am finding Lollipop very sweet. In my experience, no other system upgrade, whether IOS or Android, has made such a significant performance improvement in any of my phones or tablets. IMO, nobody should hesitate or worry about doing this upgrade.