Note 3 Lollipop Update problems and solutions

jim2112

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
I don't have any so far, but these threads can get very long and polluted with how the install went vs any problems and solutions. I thought I would start one just for problems and solutions to speed anyone up trying to fix a problem.

So far I have no problems but I will edit this post if I get them.

I used the bottom left "settings" option all the time, it is now gone as far as I can tell. I had to go into the apps and move a shortcut to the "settings app on the front page now.

Lefty Drummer

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
OK, I have one issue, relatively minor. Before the update, when I put my phone in my iBolt car dock, pretty much every app would rotate to landscape properly. Now, almost all do with the noticeable exception of the phone app. Now, before anybody writes and says turn screen rotation on, it's already on. But the phone app, when a call is in progress, refuses to rotate to landscape. If I use a third party app like Rotation Locker, it will force rotate, but the layout is not aligned properly. More of an irritation at this point as functionality is fine, but if anyone has an idea that would be great. Thanks!

Let me add aside from this so far I'm pleased. No other issues so far.

Jalopiejoe

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
I have 3 problems that I know of.
The first one bothers me the most!
Hands free mode - call comes in and S voice asks - Answer or Reject but will not respond to answer.
2. Multi Window turns on but when you swipe from top corner diagonally - Nothing, menu should appear.
3. Proximity Sensor does not work when using phone or to hand gestures.
Any help would sure be appreciated!
I really don't want to do a factory reset!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3
"Size Does Matter!"

rexxman

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
The Settings can be now found by pulling down the task bar and clicking on the gear symbol.

Posted via Android Central App

jim2112

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Amazon app was crashing when opened.
I tried deleting cache, no help.
I tried deleting app data, no help.

I happened to be in Best Buy today and asked the Samsung rep while I was there anyway, he wanted to reload the update over his laptop. I opted to skip that for now as it is the only thing I have found so far and did not want to do that yet.

I just disabled the app, then it didn't appear in the folder at all. I went on google play and downloaded the "Amazon Shopping" app and it installed. It is working like the stock app, but it is a different app. It even kept my login.

I enabled the stock app again, and it still crashes. May not be a fix, but it is a work around.

Last edited:

tallykings

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
try turning them off and then back on, i have VZ and although they were on they did not work, after turning off and then back on all work fine

jazaddict

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Note 3 Lolipop Media volume automatically drops

Regarding settings:
i drag down,then settings is top right. I too miss the long press menu :p

My issue is the media volume randomly reducing to 0.
so far I have only noticed it when I'm using SoundCloud. I have headphones in and listen while I work, I've never had any issue (although the volume police annoy me. I know that loud listening can damage my ears, but when I push the up button I prefer for the volume to go up instead of have to reach down to answer a stupid dialogue....i digress).

considering this was never an issue until my lollipop update I'm pretty sure its a lollipop issue. I have to admit that I settled with the adaptive sound. So I went back in and changed it from adaptive to original, but that didn't change this automatic volume loss.
Any thoughts?

ridfvi

Apr 19, 2015
Visit site
Stock music player can't find music when i try to search a song always appear no results for your search, but all the other things works incredibly fine, battery, apps and have more coverage. But the music issue is make me crazy.

kctony

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm seeing significant battery drain. This go around I didn't wipe and do a fresh install. I did on the wife's. Wanted to see if there was any real value to a factory reset before installing. Both of us are experiencing faster battery drain than before. I'm only managing 13 hrs with minimal usage. Before, easily 20+ hrs moderate-heavy usage. Wife is getting 17 hrs, lite usage. Before easily 24 has for her. Wondering if anyone else is experiencing a noticeable difference since the update?

Its actually harder than it appears. I make it look easy.

jim2112

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Creating folders is something I use a lot, it still works, it's just a different procedure. I have a lot of apps, and combining them where I can find them is critical for me to be able to use them. One example is I make a folder for "News" and then place all the news apps in that folder.

On the Note 3 before the update, you just press and hold in an empty spot and select make folder. That doesn't work any more that way.

There are a few ways to do it, One is to press and hold one of the apps, then select make a folder in the upper left hand corner. Cool thing is instead of having to go to each one and drag it back to the folder on that page, it opens up all the apps and you simply put a check in the box on each one you want to add to that folder. After than you can drag apps into the folder as normal. I'm sure the procedures on our note 3 are similar to the note 4.

How to create app folders on Galaxy Note 4 home screen and app drawer?

Last edited:

dagold99

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
When I first bought the note 3 when it came out I had the same problem.The phone app would not rotate to landscape with the IBolt car dock. After a few months somehow it was fixed. BUT after lollipop the problem is now back. Hopefully somehow it will be fixed. But very strange that the problem is back.

slayer91790

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
At times, my phone timeouts and locks itself right after inputting my pin code. It's annoying but I'm too lazy to do a factory reset on it.

slayer91790

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
I'm seeing significant battery drain. This go around I didn't wipe and do a fresh install. I did on the wife's. Wanted to see if there was any real value to a factory reset before installing. Both of us are experiencing faster battery drain than before. I'm only managing 13 hrs with minimal usage. Before, easily 20+ hrs moderate-heavy usage. Wife is getting 17 hrs, lite usage. Before easily 24 has for her. Wondering if anyone else is experiencing a noticeable difference since the update?

Make sure that Unified Daemon(EUR) is not running. My battery life was terrible when I noticed this Samsung app running so I disabled it and improved my battery life.

kctony

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
Make sure that Unified Daemon(EUR) is not running. My battery life was terrible when I noticed this Samsung app running so I disabled it and improved my battery life.

I'll take a look and let you know. Thanks!

Lefty Drummer

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
When I first bought the note 3 when it came out I had the same problem.The phone app would not rotate to landscape with the IBolt car dock. After a few months somehow it was fixed. BUT after lollipop the problem is now back. Hopefully somehow it will be fixed. But very strange that the problem is back.

Thanks for posting, glad to hear it's not just me! ;)

kctony

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
Eagerly optimistic as I'm seeing an improvement in my battery already by disabling the suggested app and giving the battery a full cycle charge. Will keep you posted. Again, thanks

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I used to have a nova shortcut icon to pull down notification bar. It doesn't work with lollipop. Anyone know an app that does?

bstint

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site
This update has caused question for me. We have three Note 3's in the house, all three experience extremely high battery usage now, to include 20 percent in about 10 minutes last night; no 4G LTE service even though properly connected to router; all of my contacts, which were separated into categories, have all been merged into one list and I hate this. I want the black screen function back. And the location function is constantly searching and popping up in the middle of everything, had to turn it off. I lost apps I was using and I have apps I deleted from the phone added back. Cache deleted, everything cleared like normal before the update, and several restarts later, ....

P.S. The on switch is on, and the computer is plugged.