Note 3 Lollipop Update problems and solutions

Civuck

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
The issues with mine are this:
The Touch Key Lights in the lower corners of my phone will just turn off for no reason. I have them set in setting to Stay On all the time and the option is checked, however they still just turn off. They still work they are just not lit up.
Exact same problem for me. I've had to reset the touch light settings many, many times since 5.0 upgrade. It seems to be completely random when they suddenly stay unlit, despite the setting clearly being on Always On.

And for the record, I'm a Rogers Note 3 owner. My other issues are inconsistent performance: sometimes snappy, sometimes dog slow. And the recent apps screen taking an annoyingly long time to appear when double clicking the home button from the home screen.

May 11, 2015
Visit site
I have not found anyone else yet that appears to have my problem. I work in a facility that does not have cell coverage inside. If I've been inside for a prolonged (3 or 4 hours) time, when I go outside back into coverage, the phone never picks service back up until I reboot the phone. This has happened multiple times.
I have the exact same problem of having to reset the phone every single day after work due to the walls and lack of service.
For whatever reason, the phone is unable to re-establish connection regardless of strength or time given without a reset. I have done a factory reset, pulled out the sim card, cleared the cache...all to no avail.

Shootme

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Ok, I don’t know if I just have not noticed before, but any app that I have moved to the SD Card. if an update comes though then i have to move it back to the SD Card again. Is this new or something that I just have not paid that much attention too

PoisonDarts8714

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
Exact same problem for me. I've had to reset the touch light settings many, many times since 5.0 upgrade. It seems to be completely random when they suddenly stay unlit, despite the setting clearly being on Always On.

And for the record, I'm a Rogers Note 3 owner. My other issues are inconsistent performance: sometimes snappy, sometimes dog slow. And the recent apps screen taking an annoyingly long time to appear when double clicking the home button from the home screen.

Same. Going into settings and and toggling them off then back on works. One of the reasons I rolled back to KitKat.

Posted via the Android Central App

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
The opaque white and teal useless warnings that should be in notification bar on top drive me nuts. What developer thought this would be an improvement?

jim2112

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
I noticed a setting that is a default, I never looked into the lock screen settings after setting my password so maybe it always was always a default. It's under settings, Lock screen, Auto factory reset. It is checked by default, and if you attempt to unlock your phone incorrectly 10 times it will be reset to factory settings. All data including files and downloaded apps will be deleted.

I never noticed this since it is in the Lock Screen settings. I understand it is meant to keep someone who steals a phone or finds a lost one from getting your data. I can also see the grand child playing with it trying to see if they can get into the phone causing more damage than they intended. I came into the living room once and the grandson was trying to "crack my code" on the phone. I don't know if it was like this before the latest update, but I turned it off. I have other apps that are suppose to allow me to do similar functions, I really don't want it to be that easy to destroy the data.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Well the inevitable happened. My Mate's Note 3 auto update itself last night (As usual, doing so despite always telling the phone to hold off) and now the back button doesn't work. I'll be taking a look at it tonight and trying the usual fixes, but anyone else have any suggestions specific to this?

BeNiceToEveryone

May 28, 2015
Visit site
How did you go about rolling back to KitKat PoisonDarts8714? I am having a strange problem since the Lollipop update that no one else is reporting and Sprint and Samsung can't seem to figure it out - so I would really like to go back to KitKat. I've been hesitant to root it as some sites say that the security features in 5.0 cause issues if you try to root. What did you use to root and where did you go to get KitKat?
By the way, the problem I am having is that my phone immediately disconnects incoming calls after I answer that come from an Android phone on Sprint. I can receive calls from landlines, other carriers, and iPhones on Sprint, but if someone with an Android phone on Sprint calls me it just hangs up (my carrier is Sprint). This is especially annoying as one of the phone numbers that disconnects is my husband's. We even switched out the SIM card and that didn't fix it (had already tried a factory reset and a hard reset).

Last edited:

PoisonDarts8714

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
How did you go about rolling back to KitKat PoisonDarts8714? I am having a strange problem since the Lollipop update that no one else is reporting and Sprint and Samsung can't seem to figure it out - so I would really like to go back to KitKat. I've been hesitant to root it as some sites say that the security features in 5.0 cause issues if you try to root. What did you use to root and where did you go to get KitKat?
By the way, the problem I am having is that my phone immediately disconnects incoming calls after I answer that come from an Android phone on Sprint. I can receive calls from landlines, other carriers, and iPhones on Sprint, but if someone with an Android phone on Sprint calls me it just hangs up (my carrier is Sprint). This is especially annoying as one of the phone numbers that disconnects is my husband's. We even switched out the SIM card and that didn't fix it (had already tried a factory reset and a hard reset).

Didn't root. As of today you can't root 4.4.4 or 5.0. But, for whatever reason, Samsung/Verizon didn't blacklist the NK1 firmware, so you can flash 4.4.4-NK1. NJ6 fails, it needs to be NK1.

I got the firmware from sammobile, and flashed it using Odin 3.09. Download it, place it in the AP slot, start the phone in download mode (volume down and home) then flash it.

Give me a few and I'll give you links. If you do this, it is not like an OTA update. It's like a factory reset, so backup what's important first.

Edit: I also experienced the disconnect when someone called. Extremely annoying. It went away on its own, but I still went back to KitKat. The colors on lollipop are horrific.

PoisonDarts8714

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
Alright, I re-read your post. I can't speak for Sprint, but given that Verizon didn't blacklist it I imagine Sprint didn't either. So, under your battery, you should see model number SM-900P.. My carrier is Verizon and rolling back worked, I can't speak for Sprint. Anyway, assuming your 900p:

Firmware: Firmware for Samsung SM-N900P - SamMobile (I would try flashing NK4 as it's the most current version of KitKat and is likely to work)

How to flash using odin w/download link: How to Flash Firmware using Odin for Samsung Devices - Android Tips

After the successful flash, it will probably restart then go into bootloop and refuse to start. That's fine, pull battery then hit volume up and home and select factory reset (the data is gone anyway.)

Midnite25

May 28, 2015
Visit site
I just recently updated my phone to Lollipop. Now i found out that LED indicators are no longer working. Well, if it's charging it shows red light. But for the notifications like texts or missed calls, which should be normally turned into blue, it wont. The proximity sensor isnt working as well. Another thing, when i tried to edit a picture (on the default camera and folder) i clicked save but the edited is nowhere to be found. Im getting frustrated with the issues im facing right now. Anyone who had the same exp like mine? There were people who do not have problems when they updated to 5.0 but some do. Why is that? Please help. Thanks in advance!

Jalopiejoe

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
I just recently updated my phone to Lollipop. Now i found out that LED indicators are no longer working. Well, if it's charging it shows red light. But for the notifications like texts or missed calls, which should be normally turned into blue, it wont. The proximity sensor isnt working as well. Another thing, when i tried to edit a picture (on the default camera and folder) i clicked save but the edited is nowhere to be found. Im getting frustrated with the issues im facing right now. Anyone who had the same exp like mine? There were people who do not have problems when they updated to 5.0 but some do. Why is that? Please help. Thanks in advance!

I don't have an explanation why some people have trouble, some don't.
My proximity sensor does not work making it hard to use the phone sometimes.
I like my menu & back buttons on all the time but they sometimes go out and I have to reboot to get them back on.
The other problems I've had I found were problems of a box checked or unchecked or something turned off or on that shouldn't have been.
And like others, I hate the stark white and teal!
Daily I look for an update to fix this crap but it's been 6 long weeks already !

PoisonDarts8714

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
Will rolling back cause the nag message (and eventual forced installation) for the LP update to show up again?

Yes, after a few weeks...it seems to check for updates on its own on some time of schedule. I hit "No thanks" at the first screen..this was about a month ago and it hasn't asked again.

How many of you have done a factory reset? After I initially went to lollipop I lost some signal strength, Samsung Keyboard randomly crashing, misc lag here and there. This was fixed with a reset, but I still had poor reception. I got 1 bar of LTE at work on 4.4.4..it's weak there but on lollipop it was 3g. Rolling back fixed that.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Yes, after a few weeks...it seems to check for updates on its own on some time of schedule. I hit "No thanks" at the first screen..this was about a month ago and it hasn't asked again.

Her phone never got the "No Thanks" option. Only the option to install or select a reminder notice time. She was setting it for 24 hr reminder periods until it finally just installed itself. So if it's going to nag again, a roll back is a no go for her.

PoisonDarts8714

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
I can't explain that. The first nag screen SHOULD be No thanks, install now, install later.

There's an alternate method.. I haven't used it. Allow it to dl the update, then when it says install now or later say late. Restart the phone in recovery, wipe the cache then restart. Let it install. It will fail and this will breaks OTA. It won't ask again after this, and you'll have to flash new versions or use Samsung kies.

PoisonDarts8714

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
I wish I had taken a screenshot of the no thanks lol. Seems like.im one of three people that have seen it so it's sounds like a myth when so little have seen it..

Chuck Manansala

May 29, 2015
Visit site
Please help: I updated my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 to Lollipop. My issues are: Most of my downloaded apps are missing (including social media apps like FB, Twitter, and IG) and I cannot open my Google Play Store. Could someone please help? Thanks.

Here's what happened:
My phone informed me that there is a new update
I updated my phone with no errors whatsoever
My phone restarted. Everything is normal.
I decided to update all my applications through Google Play Store and some of my Galaxy Apps (Story Album, TTS, and Despicable Me)
Then I restarted my phone again.
This is when I realized that most of my apps are missing and I cannot open Google Play Store.

jeppes

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
a2f08a69b8f446dac3434d791a1108e7.jpg
Getting this when trying to update firmware

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
axool