VZW OTA to remove Virus Vulnerabilities?

Jalopiejoe

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
You are on Verizon...correct?

Sent from my Note 3 via Tapatalk

I don't know if this is the problem:
I am on the Verizon network but my carrier is Straight Talk Wireless. I have called Straight Talk and they say I will get my update over the Verizon tower.
But I'm not so sure I believe in what they tell me.
Any thoughts or knowledge about this?

gozirra

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
The quick and dirty answer is, if you line is PROVISIONED by Verizon, you will get the update from Verizon. IN NO OTHER CASE will you. You're on Straight Talk, which, while they may or may not use Verizon towers in your area (Straight Talk actually uses Verizon, T-Mobile, and AT&T Towers wholesale), the only way you'll get an update is whoever your line is provisioned through sends one out. Think about it like this: if I take my Verizon phone and roam to a T-Mobile tower, is T-Mobile ever going to send me an update to my phone? The answer is no, because my phone isn't provisioned through T-Mobile. Same exact thing with Straight Talk. If they told you otherwise, they lied to you.

Jalopiejoe

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
The quick and dirty answer is, if you line is PROVISIONED by Verizon, you will get the update from Verizon. IN NO OTHER CASE will you. You're on Straight Talk, which, while they may or may not use Verizon towers in your area (Straight Talk actually uses Verizon, T-Mobile, and AT&T Towers wholesale), the only way you'll get an update is whoever your line is provisioned through sends one out. Think about it like this: if I take my Verizon phone and roam to a T-Mobile tower, is T-Mobile ever going to send me an update to my phone? The answer is no, because my phone isn't provisioned through T-Mobile. Same exact thing with Straight Talk. If they told you otherwise, they lied to you.

Thanks! That's what I figured, I don't trust what Straight Talk tells me! This weekend I'm going by Best Buy to see the new Note 5 (not going to buy one) and I'll ask the Samsung guy to flash the Note 3 update for me.

Jalopiejoe

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site

I really don't know what the answer is but I just got off the phone talking to Verizon Tech Support and was told that even though my service is with Straight Talk Wireless with the Sim card I have installed I am on the Verizon network
(the Tech said I'm "still in the family"!)
and when the updates are pushed out to the different areas, I should receive the OTA Updates!

gozirra

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Well I guess I was wrong then, sorry. It's never been that way in the past, glad to hear you'll eventually get it. Or, they just wanted to get you off the phone lol.

Jalopiejoe

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Well I guess I was wrong then, sorry. It's never been that way in the past, glad to hear you'll eventually get it. Or, they just wanted to get you off the phone lol.

I guess I'll just have to wait and see or drop by Best Buy to get it flashed once the excitement has died down over the new Note 5 and S6 Edge+.
Thanks for your help!! 👍😉

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I never knew the Samsung guy at Best Buy could flash anything. I'm surprised they know what "flash" means. All they do is try to sell equipment. I've never gotten an answer to any question from them and I bought my Note 3 there.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I would like to ask all of you that received this latest OTA update: Where Do You Live??

It doesn't matter where you live. Every time an update is rolled out, the forms get flooded with people saying where they live and if they got it, but never one has it been everyone in a given area receiving an update at the same time. It probably has more to do with the ESN of the phone itself or something like that. Just be patient and it should come through.

Personally I think Verizon can keep their updates. Every time we got one at home, something goes fubar. The last time I got the OTA update, it factory reset the phone and formatted the sd card. And we couldn't stop it (well, we were dismissing it whenever prompted) because it decided to do this itself one night while everyone was sleeping. Woke up the next morning and the phone and card we're already wiped.

revansCAAD8

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Installed the update a few days ago...
Install took a bit longer than the estimated 12mins.... Oh and noticed the phone got very warm during the install. Back to normal after.

No Major issues so far but did have 2 programs & their icons say 'App Not Installed'. Both apps were installed on my external SD card and via Amazon App Store. Reinstalled 1 and worked again but then the next day after a re-boot it was gone again! Weird, reinstalled app again but this time not on the SD card and seems to be keeping it so far.. Also found i couldn't delete files on the SD Card even via my ES File Explorer(just said failed), so installed an available update which then launched the prompt to select/allow SD access; So it's Working again.

During reboots I'm now noticing a strange flash of my Wallpaper(Nova prime) before the LockScreen shows & locks. Still on Nova 3.3 so might update to 4x to see if continues?

Phone may be slightly snappier in performance.

Not sure why but had to re-login to my Google accounts after the update(for "OK Google") which I pretty regularly use).

Might be jumping the gun a bit here but seems as if my WiFi sensitivity is weaker than before. No errors or messages but getting some data pauses that seem to coincide with the WiFi meter loss of bars/signal at the top notification bar.

Didn't fix the reduced S-pen sensitivity since forced update to Lollipop. :-(

All-in-all update seems okay...

Robert
Samsung Galaxy Note3(Verizon)
-currently in northern Cali.

Posted via my Galaxy Note3 on the Android Central App

Jalopiejoe

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Installed the update a few days ago...
Install took a bit longer than the estimated 12mins.... Oh and noticed the phone got very warm during the install. Back to normal after.

No Major issues so far but did have 2 programs & their icons say 'App Not Installed'. Both apps were installed on my external SD card and via Amazon App Store. Reinstalled 1 and worked again but then the next day after a re-boot it was gone again! Weird, reinstalled app again but this time not on the SD card and seems to be keeping it so far.. Also found i couldn't delete files on the SD Card even via my ES File Explorer(just said failed), so installed an available update which then launched the prompt to select/allow SD access; So it's Working again.

During reboots I'm now noticing a strange flash of my Wallpaper(Nova prime) before the LockScreen shows & locks. Still on Nova 3.3 so might update to 4x to see if continues?

Phone may be slightly snappier in performance.

Not sure why but had to re-login to my Google accounts after the update(for "OK Google") which I pretty regularly use).

Might be jumping the gun a bit here but seems as if my WiFi sensitivity is weaker than before. No errors or messages but getting some data pauses that seem to coincide with the WiFi meter loss of bars/signal at the top notification bar.

Didn't fix the reduced S-pen sensitivity since forced update to Lollipop. :-(

All-in-all update seems okay...

Robert
Samsung Galaxy Note3(Verizon)
-currently in northern Cali.

Thanks for the info! Still looking for my OTA Update here in Phoenix AZ!

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I don't notice any difference at all in performance and I also use Nova Prime. No idea what version but I seldom update. My phone did overheat during the update when all the apps were being whatever it is happens during an update. Phone went up to 122 degrees so I shut off phone immediately after update completed.(weak lte signal probably the culprit) An hour later I cleared cache before rebooting and no problems...at least not yet. LOL

Jalopiejoe

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Thanks! That's what I figured, I don't trust what Straight Talk tells me! This weekend I'm going by Best Buy to see the new Note 5 (not going to buy one) and I'll ask the Samsung guy to flash the Note 3 update for me.

I stopped at Best Buy today and had the Samsung Guy flash N900VVRUEOF1.
I'll let it run awhile to see what I notice and I'll come back later to edit this post!

Oilfield Trash

Feb 15, 2015
Visit site
I updated on 20th of Aug. and haven't noticed any changes

257hp1w.jpg

Verizon

Sent from my smartphone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

gozirra

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
I stopped at Best Buy today and had the Samsung Guy flash N900VVRUEOF1.
I'll let it run awhile to see what I notice and I'll come back later to edit this post!

Oh good, glad you went that route, I honestly believe you've have only had to wait ∞ more days for your update from Crooked Talk. ;)

revansCAAD8

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Never had battery issues but since this update I've noticed this abnormally high "ANDROID SYSTEM" usage?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-08-29-07-59-52.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-08-29-07-59-52.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 17