Question for those on Stock ROM 5.0: 3G/4G Icon Lit while on WiFi?

DLCPhototography

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I am on stock, non-rooted Verizon GN3, Android 5.0. Stock Launcher, no special mods.

When I am on WiFi, the Icons at the top right of the display (1X, 3G, 4G, whatever is available) are now actively lit, even when I'm connected to my home WiFi. I recall their being 'greyed out' in the past, showing that Data was being transmitted via the WiFi connection, rather than through Mobile Data.

I think this behavior has switched as various updates were received, and am not sure what the current behavior is supposed to be. My data consumption seems to have increased somewhat, and I want to make sure there isn't some type of glitch here.

Thanks.

Jalopiejoe

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
I am on stock, non-rooted Verizon GN3, Android 5.0. Stock Launcher, no special mods.

When I am on WiFi, the Icons at the top right of the display (1X, 3G, 4G, whatever is available) are now actively lit, even when I'm connected to my home WiFi. I recall their being 'greyed out' in the past, showing that Data was being transmitted via the WiFi connection, rather than through Mobile Data.

I think this behavior has switched as various updates were received, and am not sure what the current behavior is supposed to be. My data consumption seems to have increased somewhat, and I want to make sure there isn't some type of glitch here.

Thanks.

DLC, I am running the same configuration as you and I played around with my WiFi and data settings just now to see what I get.
When I am on WiFi the data is grayed out (off), No 4G, 3G, etc.
When I'm on data, I see 4G, 3G, etc. and the WiFi symbol is grayed out (off).
I'm not sure how but it sounds like you're running on both at times!
I hope that helps! 👍😉

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 "Size Does Matter!"

Last edited:

DLCPhototography

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
DLC, I am running the same configuration as you and I played around with my WiFi and data settings just now to see what I get.
When I am on WiFi the data is grayed out (off), No 4G, 3G, etc.
When I'm on data, I see 4G, 3G, etc. and the WiFi symbol is grayed out (off).
I'm not sure how but it sounds like you're running on both at times!
I hope that helps! ????????????

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 "Size Does Matter!"

Thanks for the reply. It was kind of weird, in that for a while, both were lit, as if both were active, as you point out. That behavior seems to have returned to normally since I posted, so that it's just one or the other. Not sure what was going on initially when I posted, but it seems to have settled down. Will re-post if it messes up again.

PoisonDarts8714

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. It was kind of weird, in that for a while, both were lit, as if both were active, as you point out. That behavior seems to have returned to normally since I posted, so that it's just one or the other. Not sure what was going on initially when I posted, but it seems to have settled down. Will re-post if it messes up again.

4G will be lit/stay active for a few minutes if I've recently used the voicemail app or the my Verizon mobile. app, unless I force stop after then it goes out immediately.

If you use the ridiculous bundled caller ID thing verizon pushed on you 4G will never go away (this is true on every Samsung phone after the S3)

Edit: why did they have to bring back the icon at all? In 4.4.4 it disappeared when I was on WiFI now it's like 4.4.2 was- greys out but stays present.

Posted via the Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084