New Update?

revansCAAD8

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Just got an os update msg!? Selected 'Later' for now so I could research the update as it didn't provide any info. Anyone know what this update is for?

Thanks

Posted via my Galaxy Note3 on the Android Central App

Baby_Doc

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
Just got an os update msg!? Selected 'Later' for now so I could research the update as it didn't provide any info. Anyone know what this update is for?

Thanks

Posted via my Galaxy Note3 on the Android Central App

I just downloaded it. It appears to be a security update directly from Samsung. Along with it, in the notification pulldown, is a request for your permission to provide future automatic updates to your device and to possibly remove what it thought might be malicious software from your device.

I was very surprised to see this first update in many months, as I thought the Note 3 was no longer going to be software supported.
So far, I have not encountered any problems with it.

NachoAndroid

Jan 29, 2017
Visit site
Has anyone had errors with the screen not really functioning after doing this update? This problem developed after this update. When you power on the phone it shows the Verizon screen but then when it loads the Android software the screen goes blank except for the notification bar, and you can drag that down and view it, but you can’t see anything else.

Baby_Doc

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone had errors with the screen not really functioning after doing this update? This problem developed after this update. When you power on the phone it shows the Verizon screen but then when it loads the Android software the screen goes blank except for the notification bar, and you can drag that down and view it, but you can’t see anything else.

I haven't had any screen issues since the update. You might consider doing a system reset.

NachoAndroid

Jan 29, 2017
Visit site
The battery life has suddenly gotten terrible, it will drop huge percentages and suddenly die. Now I can't get the phone to boot, as soon as it gets to the lock screen it automatically restarts. It was also getting very hot near the camera. I tried clearing cache, closing apps, removing SD card, even removing the SIM card but nothing resolved it. Won't boot in safe mode.

Seems others are having issues with battery life also (related to the update):

https://forum.xda-developers.com/verizon-galaxy-note-3/general/official-verizon-update-t3538935
Strange battery issues with Samsung | Android Authority Forums

DLCPhototography

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
FWIW, I did the update, and have basically noticed no difference, good or bad.

My battery life in general is not as good as it used to be, but there's a reasonable chance that may be at least in part from the aging battery (coming up on 3 1/2 years for me!).

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Glad to hear about a neutral experience. Wish we could get Nougat. First update that was a major improvement for me.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Apparently it doesn't matter for me. My Note 3 is wifi only so although it used to be vzw I cannot connect to updates.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
That is from vzw and samsung. It's the official version. It is not customized or modified.
And if it were on either of their websites I might try it. As I said I am sure you are right.. that the website is safe but I prefer not to download from other than official sources. Just me. I used to root and rom and go nuts but I'm careful now.