Hold Out for 32GB or 64GB Galaxy S4 on Verizon? Any Sign of 32GB Verizon??

phathands

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
Well my contract was done June 6th. Verizon has failed to give this customer what he wants and has lost my business. Yesterday I had ATT order my 32GB S4 and it should be in on Tues or Wed which is fine by me. Nice thing is my company gets 21% discount on service and I will be getting $100 off with my old phone turnin. :D

Good luck on the wait for Verizon....

Yeah I started eyeballing the AT&T prepaid plans now that Go Phone will include LTE access. AT&T is the only one that offers decent rural coverage for when travelling. At $60 for the 2GB of data, and $10 per GB of data afterwards, I'm seriously considering switching. I'm paying $80 for my unlimited VZW 4G but I rarely use more than a few GB. $80 would get me 4GB with the Go Phone plan, + unlimited calling + SMS.

Make a play, VZW, I'll give you another month or two.

phathands

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
Verizon isn't doing anything. AT&T appears to be shelling them out - the Active is pre-ordering and the HTC One is on an awesome sale today. FML. :D

They are smashing the exclusives. The Active (better looking than the S4) and the 32GB S4. Makes me wish that I switched to them back in the day when I could have grabbed an unlimited data plan. At this point I've accepted the fact that I'll have to pay full price for a phone since waiting two years is abysmal.

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
They are smashing the exclusives. The Active (better looking than the S4) and the 32GB S4. Makes me wish that I switched to them back in the day when I could have grabbed an unlimited data plan. At this point I've accepted the fact that I'll have to pay full price for a phone since waiting two years is abysmal.

I'm with ya. I never keep a device longer than 6 to 8 months. But I'm never on a contract either. :D

phathands

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
I'm with ya. I never keep a device longer than 6 to 8 months. But I'm never on a contract either. :D

I have been off contract with VZW for the last 18 months, but stay for the unlimited LTE. I keep hoping they learn to keep up on new devices, but it seems they really, really don't care.

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I have been off contract with VZW for the last 18 months, but stay for the unlimited LTE. I keep hoping they learn to keep up on new devices, but it seems they really, really don't care.

I'm going to stop by my AT&T corp store later today and see how they match up price wise. I'm not sure if AT&T still has the roll over minutes or not. I get a better discount (22%) with Verizon while AT&T offers only 15%. My son and daughter are in contract but very close to the end so I wouldn't mind jumping ship.

phathands

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
I'm going to stop by my AT&T corp store later today and see how they match up price wise. I'm not sure if AT&T still has the roll over minutes or not. I get a better discount (22%) with Verizon while AT&T offers only 15%. My son and daughter are in contract but very close to the end so I wouldn't mind jumping ship.

The prepaid go mobile comes out ahead in terms of price compared to the same minutes, messages, minutes on post paid from what I calculated earlier. I'll be very interested to hear about corp discounts on prepaid. I get 18% off with VZW currently.

One question that was raised elsewhere was how roaming was handled.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AC Forums mobile app

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site

^^New AT&T customer^^ :D
Has AT&T ever released the white S4 in 32GB? Wonder why I only see the black in 32GB?

SleepNSnooze

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
No, they have not released anything but black. My guess is that they want to see how popular it is, the store I went too had to order from there warehouse also. :-/

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
^^New AT&T customer^^ :D
Has AT&T ever released the white S4 in 32GB? Wonder why I only see the black in 32GB?

Yeah, only in black. I did go by there and they can save me $50 bucks each month and I gain an extra 2gb of data from what I have now plus the employer discount is 24%. They have all S4's in stock, including the red one but that's not for me. I did take a peek at the HTC One and I have to say it is a pretty decent device. Decisions, decisions.

pwscott

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
The HTC One does look very nice....lot of cool features, but no SD card right? Yeah--I know there's 32GB onboard and yeah I stream much of my music, but I do like to use TubeMate and download lots of YouTube videos to my 64GB micro SD card in my Galaxy S3.....I don't think I'd give that up. I have a Samusng Galaxy Note 10.1 on VZW too that I have 4G/LTE on along with unlimited data ( a Blackeberry holdover since I keep paying full price for new phones.) so not sure I would really consider switching at AT&T as I'd have to pay for the Note 10.1 separately to VZW....

Leaves my options as waiting to see either a 32GB GS4 or seeing the software update that goes to Europe first come out months and months from now on Verizon where I could move apps to SD Card....Verizon seriously needs to kick it in gear.

akronevan2

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
I did a bad thing today. I caved and picked up the 16GB S4. I also told the poor salesman that didn't know enough about his product what I thought about his company's perspective on it's consumers and his lack of training in anything Android. I then went to Best Buy and picked one up from a salesman that spoke the language of Root & ROM. Things will be ok.

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
The HTC One does look very nice....lot of cool features, but no SD card right? Yeah--I know there's 32GB onboard and yeah I stream much of my music, but I do like to use TubeMate and download lots of YouTube videos to my 64GB micro SD card in my Galaxy S3.....I don't think I'd give that up. I have a Samusng Galaxy Note 10.1 on VZW too that I have 4G/LTE on along with unlimited data ( a Blackeberry holdover since I keep paying full price for new phones.) so not sure I would really consider switching at AT&T as I'd have to pay for the Note 10.1 separately to VZW....

Leaves my options as waiting to see either a 32GB GS4 or seeing the software update that goes to Europe first come out months and months from now on Verizon where I could move apps to SD Card....Verizon seriously needs to kick it in gear.

I am going to make the switch to AT&T for the 32gb S4 (and to save some money), but will wait until the current billing cycle is on its last day. I'll get boned for the whole month, so I might as well use it. :D

jameyscott56

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
There is a simple trick with the galaxy series that I did with my note 2. Some custom roms have scripts (might be able to do this on just rooted stock) that trick the phone into switching the internal memory and external memory. Basically all that does is tell the phone it has 64 gigs of interal space.

sent from GSN2 using Tapatalk 4

phathands

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
There is a simple trick with the galaxy series that I did with my note 2. Some custom roms have scripts (might be able to do this on just rooted stock) that trick the phone into switching the internal memory and external memory. Basically all that does is tell the phone it has 64 gigs of interal space.

sent from GSN2 using Tapatalk 4

That is a glorious idea. Just hope that you don't have the faulty SD card tray that some people have described. That'd get annoying.

phathands

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site

How do you get both devices on your unlimited data plan? Don't they need two different sim cards? I didn't think they ever sold unlimited device plans to get grandfathered in, unless you had two cell phones back in the day and just transferred your blackberry line to the tab.

Wilbur

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site

Too bad we can't increase the internal storage ourselves like with computers. Buy a 16Gb model, purchase a 64Gb chip from Newegg, swap it out and then install a custom ROM. Look out !!

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I am going to make the switch to AT&T for the 32gb S4 (and to save some money), but will wait until the current billing cycle is on its last day. I'll get boned for the whole month, so I might as well use it. :D

Unless saving money is the main issue, you might want to hold a few more weeks. A friend of mine manages a VZW and is also part of the regional device training team. They had device roadmap information that was part of new device training and corporate marketing was there that would know as well. The 32GB was on their new device list two weeks ago, but was removed and said there are two reasons for a device to be removed: nearing release or canceled (canceled are usually noted though).

The reason I put the "might" at the top was my cynical take is they might have pulled it due to the near pointless APK file move to sd update coming. People will find out the hard way that the APK file move and not data will only help smaller apps and games. Not the apps that cause the storage problems. Some folks keep saying this is the same method as before, but GTA data files and other big games moved to the SD card. Some would not move, but most did. Fragmentation, security, stability and carrier customer service traffic related to it was why pulled as a resource in the first place.

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Unless saving money is the main issue, you might want to hold a few more weeks. A friend of mine manages a VZW and is also part of the regional device training team. They had device roadmap information that was part of new device training and corporate marketing was there that would know as well. The 32GB was on their new device list two weeks ago, but was removed and said there are two reasons for a device to be removed: nearing release or canceled (canceled are usually noted though).

The reason I put the "might" at the top was my cynical take is they might have pulled it due to the near pointless APK file move to sd update coming. People will find out the hard way that the APK file move and not data will only help smaller apps and games. Not the apps that cause the storage problems. Some folks keep saying this is the same method as before, but GTA data files and other big games moved to the SD card. Some would not move, but most did. Fragmentation, security, stability and carrier customer service traffic related to it was why pulled as a resource in the first place.

Thanks for the info. I'm holding tight until the 1st (billing cycle ends on the 1st) and then I will jump if I don't hear anything from Verizon. And it's always nice to save money and gain gb's for those of use that aren't on unlimited. Lol.

phathands

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
Does anyone have any opinions or reasons to not look at the Galaxy S3? Considering the options available (and that VZW may not release the S4 32 GB anytime soon or ever), I was looking at the S3, which isn't too much of a step down from the S4. There are 32 GB versions on ebay for $350-400, and it has a thriving dev community as well.

Any thoughts?

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone have any opinions or reasons to not look at the Galaxy S3? Considering the options available (and that VZW may not release the S4 32 GB anytime soon or ever), I was looking at the S3, which isn't too much of a step down from the S4. There are 32 GB versions on ebay for $350-400, and it has a thriving dev community as well.

Any thoughts?

I have a blue 32GB S3 and I love it. Have you looked at Swappa?

Buy Samsung Galaxy S III (Verizon) in us > Swappa

I have purchased a few devices from there and never any issues. The mods check the ESN before they approve the listing to ensure the device is ready for a new owner.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trudycharles