Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Upgrade Questions

Hi all, HTC Thunderbolt user here and thinking about upgrading to the Galaxy S4. Input appreciated. Any similarities, what are the differences, can I use my micro usb cables from the thunderbolt on the GS4? Etc... Thanks in advance for your help.

Default Re: Upgrade Questions

The micro usb cable is the same for the Thunderbolt as the S4... most all the devices are using the same micro usb cables. You can also remove your SD card and put it in the S4. I was an original Thunderbolt user on the first day of it's release, and have been using the Razr Maxx for about a year and half, and not will be going to the S4. The big difference I see is the launcher, and a lot of the advanced programs and technology, and the screen resolution/size on the S4 compared to the Thunderbolt.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thanks for the quick reply. Wife and I have had the thunderbolt for 2 years now. This was our first smartphone. Neither of us are super users, but the bolt is starting to get really laggy and slow and we are just ready for something new. Any suggestions?

The biggest differences in general between HTC and Samsung devices
    1) launcher, do you like Sense or not, if no do you like Touch wiz (I have a verizon rezound, I find Sence the most appealing of all the UI overlays.
    2) The camera, this I think is person to person, each company has their own strengths.
    3) The screen technology: You have to look at an HTC screen next to a samsung screen and make that decision for yourself
    4) How important is battery life for you. The HTC phones have come a decent way since the Thunderbolt but still do not have quite as much battery life as some of us would like to see.

The current flagship HTC phone (the HTC one) is not available on verizon and I have not heard any whisperings about when/if it is coming to verizon (I am not all that plugged into the rumor mill though). Currently the most up to date HTC phone is the Droid DNA, this phone was anounced last November (making it almost a dinosaur in smartphone years). I have been a pretty loyal HTC fan on verizon for the last 4 years or so but the lack of a current HTC phone is making me consider the galaxy S4. My upgrade does not come around till august though, so we will see what is in the pipeline then.

Hope this was helpful.
    -spg
    757Dave likes this.

Personally, I don't see any problems with choosing the S4.... unless you really like HTC and Sense, and then you'd probably have to go with the HTC DNA or wait for whatever HTC comes out with next on Verizon (since you might not see the One). The Thunderbolt is aging and probably past it's time with the latest Jellybean version of Android. Read and listen to the S4 reviews if you are not sure.
    757Dave likes this.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Thank you spg and fatboy97. Like I said, the bolt was our first (and only) smartphones. We just started looking in the store today and are in no hurry to upgrade. Just starting to shop around. You have both given us a lot of info and we do appreciate your efforts. Again, thanks!
    spgiva likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 757Dave View Post
    can I use my micro usb cables from the thunderbolt on the GS4?
    Before getting my Samsung Galaxy Note II I used an HTC Thunderbolt. I used to think all micro usb cables were the same. Apparently they are not.

I tried using the micro usb cable I had been using with my HTC Thunderbolt ( for both charging and occasionally connecting to PC ) on my Note II. It would only change, no good for data connection.

So for charging, yes. Data... maybe, maybe not.
    757Dave likes this.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Thanks for that information. I'm keeping a notebook so that when I go to the store I have all my questions. I know that all sales reps are not created equal, so I am grateful for all the help I'm receiving her at android central.

Global Posts
    5,739 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock

Highly recommend you get at least a 1 amp car charger - you'll find they will charge the S3/S4 much quicker than the older versions.
    757Dave likes this.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Thanks for the input. I don't know what the amperage is for my current car chargers. I've had them for a couple of years, so they are probably not 1 amp chargers.

Global Posts
    331 Global Posts

I had a thunderbolt and switched to a galaxy nexus over a year ago. The gnex was a huge hu upgrade over the thunderbolt and there s4 is going to have you kicking yourself for not upgrading sooner

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    757Dave likes this.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Thanks. You are probably correct on the kicking part. When we upgrade it will be 2 phones. (twice the price!) Glad to hear good things about the samsung phones.

Global Posts
    331 Global Posts

IMO with Verizon you are paying a phone subsidy in your bill whether you upgrade or not so it only makes sense to upgrade when available .., even if you just flip it on eBay or whatever

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD