Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree17Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Question How's the signal strength of the Verizon Galaxy S4?

The same, better or worst then the Verizon phone you have now?
    Premium1 likes this.

Default Re: How's the signal strength of the Verizon Galaxy S4?

I am curious to this as well. Hopefully they have better radios than previous devices from samsung.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

My Note 2 has fine signal strength but I'm a little worried about the S4.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Come on, someone please report how the signal strength is.

Better signal than my old LG Revolution

Global Posts
    251 Global Posts

Unfortunately not that great. My office always has low reception and it is noticeably worse with the S4. I am holding on to my DNA for now...I may be forced back it as the reception was much better. The rest of the phone I am quite happy with. The camera is sick...best cell phone camera I have ever used...and I have used them all on Verizon.
    Premium1 likes this.

Carrier
    CM9 (4.0.4)

Upgraded to VZW S4 from a SGN. Right now, I'm getting a usable signal and data connection in a location where I had zero before.
    The radio on the SGN was pretty bad in low signal environs, so it's not hard to make an improvement.

Posted via Android Central App

Coming from a Droid DNA, the signal strength on the S4 seems weaker/lower than the DNA but not substantially so.

WTH why cant Samsung fix their craptastic radio's....
    James Murphy2 likes this.

Because they are more concerned about adding a bunch of useless (for most people) sensors and features that help suck up another 2GB of storage As Samung said, it is for the greater good .... Bleh.
    General Tso likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by rushmore View Post
    Because they are more concerned about adding a bunch of useless (for most people) sensors and features that help suck up another 2GB of storage As Samung said, it is for the greater good .... Bleh.
    ugh!

I'll be doing some extensive testing when I get it comparing it to multiple phones.
    Premium1 likes this.

Global Posts
    49 Global Posts

It's substantially better than my Galaxy Nexus. It gets a bit better signal than my wife's Droid Razr, which seems to get a pretty good signal.

Now wifi is another story. I get a horrible wifi signal with my S4.
    kesnik likes this.

Carrier
    Stock

I too am coming from a Nexus. I sure hope they improved the BT, Wifi and Wireless performance with the S4. I've never been happy with the signal strength on the Nexus and it seemed like BT performance really took a hit when the wifi was turning on/off and the wireless was switching between 3g and 4g.

I use BT all the time in the car for phone and audio streaming. I can't wait to see how the S4 performs.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

I can confirm that the signal strength on the Verizon Galaxy S4 is fine. We live out in the middle of the woods where we get 1-2 bars of 3G with the iPhone 5 and Note 2.
    With the S4 we are receiving the same 1-2 bars of 3G and everything seems fine.
    ozarkham likes this.

Global Posts
    331 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by trmiv View Post
    It's substantially better than my Galaxy Nexus. It gets a bit better signal than my wife's Droid Razr, which seems to get a pretty good signal.

That's good to know. Also coming from a nexus the official Verizon map says I should have 4g at my house now but I do not. Wonder if that will change with an S4. The nexus sucks at 3g 4g switching

Carrier
    Aeroevan ClockworkMod 10

Another data point. Compared to my signal-challenged HTC Incredible 2, I consistently have at least +1 bar more on the GS4, all other things being equal. And it keeps right up with my wife's Motorola DROID 4.

- Dave

Carrier
    Stock

Just a reminder that the bars displayed are not necessarily an indicator of actual signal strength. Do a quick search on the Verizon Galaxy Nexus for threads that debated this exact point in great detail. More important than bars displayed is reliability of the connection: Ability to pull signal, place and then hold calls during typical use.
    Premium1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by DreamSTi View Post
    Agree, I wish they had radios like in Moto devices, then they would really have the best phones out there.
    Live2ride883 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by felloffthetruck View Post
    I can confirm that the signal strength on the Verizon Galaxy S4 is fine. We live out in the middle of the woods where we get 1-2 bars of 3G with the iPhone 5 and Note 2.
    With the S4 we are receiving the same 1-2 bars of 3G and everything seems fine.
    Good to know. Hopefully for those having issues, when samsung puts out an OTA update it can increase the signal strength

- - - Updated - - -

For those with the phone, what is it reading for dbm, as the bars can be misleading and read in terms of lte and not 3g for signal strength

Quote Originally Posted by trmiv View Post

I also moved from the Galaxy Nexus to the S4 and I am happy to report a very strong signal in compairson......although that may not be a good compareson because the Galaxy Nexus had terrable reception and switching problems. WiFi at my home show a strong signal but i am getting terrable speeds...I haven't looked into it yet but i suspect the problem is with the WiFi on the S4's (all my other wifi devices have good bandwidth).

Quote Originally Posted by Parafly View Post
    That's good to know. Also coming from a nexus the official Verizon map says I should have 4g at my house now but I do not. Wonder if that will change with an S4. The nexus sucks at 3g 4g switching
    On the Verizon 4g map I am in a solid 4g area however i must be directly in the middle of two towers. With my Galaxy Nexus i was alway switching between 3g and 4g but with the S4 i stay on 4g with good speed.....I get faster speeds with 4g compared to wifi for some reason..... good thing i have unlimited data!!

-Kesnik

Global Posts
    4,297 Global Posts
    Carrier
    TNTC

Quote Originally Posted by felloffthetruck View Post
    The same, better or worst then the Verizon phone you have now?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobbman View Post
    Unfortunately not that great. My office always has low reception and it is noticeably worse with the S4. I am holding on to my DNA for now...I may be forced back it as the reception was much better. The rest of the phone I am quite happy with. The camera is sick...best cell phone camera I have ever used...and I have used them all on Verizon.
    Quote Originally Posted by thedeceiver View Post
    Coming from a Droid DNA, the signal strength on the S4 seems weaker/lower than the DNA but not substantially so.
    Motorolas are pretty much known to have better radios than Samsung, at least recently, so I'm not surprised if the DNA got better reception. I'd really like to see someone who upgraded from a Galaxy S3 to chime in...

Quote Originally Posted by DreamSTi View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rushmore View Post
    Nobody is making you get one...
    Premium1 and johnriii like this.

Ah so he has no right to complain..got it..just take whatever Samsung deigns to give you and consider yourself lucky.

Global Posts
    4,297 Global Posts
    Carrier
    TNTC

Quote Originally Posted by snookasnoo View Post
    Ah so he has no right to complain..got it..just take whatever Samsung deigns to give you and consider yourself lucky.
    No, but that's kinda what the Galaxy S line is....

Nexus = simplistic design, minimal extra features (i.e. SDCard support), vanilla OS
    Galaxy S = ALL the bells and whistles! As many gimmicky cool features as you can shake a stick at! Touchwiz!

That's what it is -- those sensors and features are what drive a lot of the sales of this particular model. Some prefer the Nexus line of phones, other prefer the feature-rich models.

Everyone has a right to complain, but if you feel those extra features are useless, there are other phones out there to choose from...
    Premium1 likes this.

Coming from an iphone 4, and my signal is a lot weaker at my office here in Midtown NYC. 4G is showing on top, but nothing is connecting. On my I4, I had no problem with 3g. For some reason my S4 is not attempting to connect via 3G either.

Is there a way to disable 4G and use 3G only at times when no 4G signal is available, and I dont have my battery destroyed by the phone searching for a 4G signal?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mmf115 View Post
    Coming from an iphone 4, and my signal is a lot weaker at my office here in Midtown NYC. 4G is showing on top, but nothing is connecting. On my I4, I had no problem with 3g. For some reason my S4 is not attempting to connect via 3G either.

Is there a way to disable 4G and use 3G only at times when no 4G signal is available, and I dont have my battery destroyed by the phone searching for a 4G signal?

Thanks
    Check under networks or something like that. I don't have a phone with me at the moment but there should be an option for 3G only I think. Unless they took that away too now.
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast