• 1 Post By Premium1
  • 1 Post By fatboy97
  • 1 Post By LBTRS
  • 1 Post By s14tat
  • 1 Post By garublador
  • 1 Post By fatboy97
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Does not feel as rugged as my Motorola RAZR MAXX

FedEx delivered the phone this morning and I've been getting it all setup and it is very nice so far. My only concern is that is feels much more fragile than my Motorola RAZR MAXX did. That thing felt solid like a tank, the S4 not so much. I'm nervous about putting this thing in my pocket. I'm sure it is well built but it is making me nervous at the moment. I'm sure I'll get comfortable with it as I use it.

Anyone else notice this or is just me?

Default Re: Does not feel as rugged as my Motorola RAZR MAXX

Quote Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
    FedEx delivered the phone this morning and I've been getting it all setup and it is very nice so far. My only concern is that is feels much more fragile than my Motorola RAZR MAXX did. That thing felt solid like a tank, the S4 not so much. I'm nervous about putting this thing in my pocket. I'm sure it is well built but it is making me nervous at the moment. I'm sure I'll get comfortable with it as I use it.

Moto devices always felt like tanks, it is just how they are made. I doubt it will get damaged, I had the s3 and dropped it a few times and never had any problems with it
    Ry likes this.

The Razr Maxx had a kevlar back and gorilla glass... it's bulkier, heavier. Yet the S4 has stronger gorilla glass... I already have a case, which I plan on using of course, but I DO NOT feel that S4 is fragile. I always carry mine in some type of case. I made a visit to an AT&T store just to pick one up and handle it. I'm going to feel perfectly fine buying mine tomorrow.
    Current: HTC One (M8), Pebble, Chromecast
    Retired Device (in order): Samsung Galaxy S4, Droid Razr Maxx, HTC Thunderbolt, HTC myTouch 4G, Blackberry's Bold, 8900 (Curve)
    Flames Wallpaper
    Jerry: "Love, Peace, and Chicken Grease!!!"
    Maddog241 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy97 View Post
    The Razr Maxx had a kevlar back and gorilla glass... it's bulkier, heavier. Yet the S4 has stronger gorilla glass... I already have a case, which I plan on using of course, but I DO NOT feel that S4 is fragile. I always carry mine in some type of case. I made a visit to an AT&T store just to pick one up and handle it. I'm going to feel perfectly fine buying mine tomorrow.
    I agree, I played with one in best buy and it didn't feel fragile at all. Now it didn't feel like the HTC one, but it felt more solid in hand than my s3 did.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

I have a case on it, a Spigen Neo Hybrid, and it still feels fragile.

I have a case on it, a Spigen Neo Hybrid, and it still feels fragile.
    Then return it. Seems like you are just looking for a reason to return it so why keep it? Go back to your Motorola and wait for the next Motorola flagship.
    fatboy97 likes this.

Totally agree with @Premium1!!! You should have known what you were buying, and you have 14 days to return it or exchange it for your old device or pickup an Maxx HD.
    Retired Device (in order): Samsung Galaxy S4, Droid Razr Maxx, HTC Thunderbolt, HTC myTouch 4G, Blackberry's Bold, 8900 (Curve)
    Flames Wallpaper
    Premium1 likes this.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Damn, confrontational bunch here...I am sharing my observation of a phone I OWN, after having the RAZR MAXX for two years. I don't want to return it and not looking for a reason to return it. I clearly said I like the phone and need to give it time. I just asked if anyone else noticed the same thing and I have you two in here telling me you don't notice that and to return the phone and you don't even own it.

I was hoping for some impressions from people that actually own the phone and not a couple of guys that stopped by Best Buy and AT&T to look at it. Thanks though...
    Live2ride883 likes this.

ROM
    AOKP ICS build 38

The GS4 is a fragile phone though. The phone is well built, but I doubt it will take a fall. The galaxy s1, and the s2 was light but can take a beating. I lost count of how many times I dropped my phones and it came back begging for more. People complained and said the original Galaxy S1 and S2 felt cheap and fragile, and I use to defend it because it was still strong as hell.

But the Galaxy S3 is the 4 is very very frail by comparison. I dropped my GS3 twice, and the 2nd time was from 2 feet on to concrete and I broke the screen. My GS1 fell like that about 50 times and was fine, and I ran my GS1 **** naked. I think the problem is that the phones are too damn thin, and that the screen no longer has a bezel to protect the glass. The older Samsung phones, the highest part of the front face of the phone was the plastic bezel, not the glass itself.

Back to the OP, you will eventually get used to the weight and will wonder how you ever carried around such a heavy large brick the whole time. But I would still be very careful not to drop the phone. The phone is well built enough to not fail on its own, but just be careful.
    .jpg likes this.

Global Posts
    1,117 Global Posts
    ROM
    Ice Cream Sandwich

I've never owned a Motorola phone so i can't say but it does feel lightweight and fragile but not cheap. I have read about people putting their phone in their pocket and it breaking. I have an Otterbox defender on my phone just in case. Stuff happens you know. It doesn't hurt to have a case. Hope that helps

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Android Central Forums

Keep in mind that all things being equal, a heavier object will take more damage from a fall than a lighter one. Motorola phones (or the ones I've had) seem to be on the heavy side which makes them "feel" rugged, but also means they have more energy when they hit the ground. I'd guess that s14tat is right and that a large screen with minimal bezel would affect durability more than anything. Small screens with larger bezels are just more difficult to break no matter how "rugged" they "feel."
    Premium1 likes this.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

I'll have to be careful then. I remember a couple times I had my razr maxx in my front pocket and was unloading stuff from the back of my truck and leaning on the open tailgate when I noticed I was putting all my weight on my phone pushed up against the truck tailgate. I was sure I was going to take it out and find it broken but nope, it took it all and never missed a beat. I'm just wondering if my S4 would have handled 200+ pounds pushed against the edge of an open truck tailgate and survived?

Time will tell I guess, I'll just have to be more mindful of the phone.

Damn, confrontational bunch here...I am sharing my observation of a phone I OWN, after having the RAZR MAXX for two years. I don't want to return it and not looking for a reason to return it. I clearly said I like the phone and need to give it time. I just asked if anyone else noticed the same thing and I have you two in here telling me you don't notice that and to return the phone and you don't even own it.

I was hoping for some impressions from people that actually own the phone and not a couple of guys that stopped by Best Buy and AT&T to look at it. Thanks though...
    In a couple hours when I buy my S4, and my opinion does not change, then my opinion will matter.... LMAO!!!
    Flames Wallpaper
    Thanked by:
    Premium1 likes this.

I'll have to be careful then. I remember a couple times I had my razr maxx in my front pocket and was unloading stuff from the back of my truck and leaning on the open tailgate when I noticed I was putting all my weight on my phone pushed up against the truck tailgate. I was sure I was going to take it out and find it broken but nope, it took it all and never missed a beat. I'm just wondering if my S4 would have handled 200+ pounds pushed against the edge of an open truck tailgate and survived?

Time will tell I guess, I'll just have to be more mindful of the phone.
    To be fair, you weren't putting all of your weight on the phone unless your feet were off the ground and you had no other supporting points. Or you could weigh a lot more than 200 lbs and still get that force.

What you can do is buy an aluminum back for your phone:

That might protect the back of your phone better against "truck leaning" than the plastic case.

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy97 View Post
    In a couple hours when I buy my S4, and my opinion does not change, then my opinion will matter.... LMAO!!!
    Same. I didn't know that owning a device made it any more/less fragile. Must have special versions in stores that aren't the same as the retail units, my bad lmao.