Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Verizon insurance on my S4.

I've never had insurance on my phone before. Since I purchased the S4 outright for full price I'm thinking I will do it this time. Is Verizon insurance the best one to go with? They told me I had 30 days to decide. Thanks!

Default Re: Verizon insurance on my S4.

It's from assurion. At least that's what I have for my s3. Never had to use it. Hopefully I don't!

sent from CletuS the almighty S3

VZW insurance is fine. Replacement devices for popular models are not always available right away. They go through a lot of them. All the insurance plans are provided by third parties.

Check the insurance terms. How much is the copay and how many claims can you make? Not saying its a deal breaker but you might want to know.

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    12 Global Posts

ive used it about 3 times in 6 years. you ALWAYS get a refurb back when you do a claim and they usually have visible flaws like they just repaired somebody elses and slapped it together with glue. 2 of the three claims i had to send back after a week because something had failed. the digitizer on one and the other the glass started coming up on the corner. sucks you dont get a new one back and the claims is about $100 if they havent gone up yet. One thing thats good is you get your phone shipped and its usually there next day. ohh and If you remove your phone off verizon service to try another like a back up they no longer cover the phone and will continue charging you insurance.

Default I am canceling Assurion

My phone was eligible for an upgrade when it was damaged. The Assurion insurance deductible is $199--the exact amount it cost me to upgrade to a much better phone, so what's the point? (Maybe it's worth it if you aren't eligible for an upgrade, i don't know).

In addition, it is IMPOSSIBLE to reach them by phone or email in order to cancel. I actually had to write a LETTER to get it done.
    Very unimpressed with the company.

Global Posts
    596 Global Posts

Default Re: I am canceling Assurion

I have carried Assurion insurance on my last three phones. A few years back, my Blackberry was either lost or stolen as I was leaving Italy. A replacement phone was on my desk when I got to work the next day. Very prompt service. Downside is the monthly charge increased by a buck a month this year and the deductible has gone up for smart phones. But given the $600 to $700 replacement cost while on contract, its worth the peace of mind, but I will probably drop it if I reach the end of my contract.

PS: Make sure you understand your options. Assurion covers lost, stolen or damaged phones. The Verizon extended warranty covers problems with the phone itself. Assurion has the deductible. Verizon does not. The combo package is called TEC (Total Equipment Coverage) which is $8.00 per month.

Default Re: I am canceling Assurion

It's really a question of "what will happen if my phone is lost/stolen/destroyed/etc?"

In other words, if you were to say, drop your phone down a flight of concrete stairs and it shatter it into a million pieces, what next? If you have the insurance, you can make a claim, pay the deductible, and get a new (though usually refurbished) replacement. If you don't have insurance, you may be stuck having to buy a new phone, which can be quite expensive.

Personally, this is why I always keep my last phone, so that if something happens to my current phone, I'll have something to activate and take it's place. Right now I have an S3 in pretty good shape should something happen to my S4. I realize a lot of folks like to sell their old phones to make some $ back, and I get that, but I figure it's worth having a backup so I don't have to pay insurance premiums or worry about buying a new phone. Of course, with T-Mobile now offering to pay off ETFs, your backup plan may just be to switch over to T-Mobile and get a new phone if anything happened to your Verizon one. Or maybe you have a lot of disposable income and would rather just roll the dice and be willing to pay full retail for a replacement should anything happen to your phone.

The point is that you have to evaluate if, in your situation, having the insurance on your device is the best backup plan for you. For many it's a sound investment, for others it isn't.

Global Posts
    7 Global Posts

Square Trade is a much better warranty than Verizon. Less $, lower deductible, & more replacements allowed.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk