Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree4Likes

Default Re: Is verizon Samsung GS4 GSM unlocked for international use ?

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Stille View Post
    How does one get the proper APN? I am in France and my French SIM card works fine for voice and sms and also for using a WIFI but cannot access the mobile data system of the French system. And the technicians at the French company seemed stymied. Any help appreciated. Thanks.
    A little late to help this poster, but for the record:

A couple years back I got a French SIM card in another smartphone. After going to several Orange stores, I found one where the tech knew how to set some VPN settings to get data.

And on the original question - I got a T-Mobile SIM card off their 800 number (usually $10 but the other day they were $1 on promo, including shipping), activated it online on a daily prepaid plan, and installed it in my Verizon S4. Voice worked immediately. Once I had set up an APN I had data as well. No problems.

Default Re: Is Verizon Samsung GS4 GSM unlocked for international use ?

how can i find out the proper APN & how can i enter it please?
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by purcitron View Post
    how can i find out the proper APN & how can i enter it please?
    thanks
    If you google "t-mobile apn" you will find out the settings the same way I did.

APNs are under Connections / More Networks / Mobile Networks / Access Point Names on my Android version.

So I've read through this thread, and have a report and a question.

First, I chatted with a rep today at Verizon who told me my S4 is Global ready, no hardware needed. I just need to enable the global plan. Then he sent me info on the charges for the countries where I'll be traveling (in Europe). The rates are 99/minute voice, 50 per sent text and 5 per received. There's also a plan to purchase Global Data for $25 for 100MB.
    I'm not interested in the data, as I'll use WiFi for any data. I also asked specifically if the charges were the same whether I was calling my traveling companions' US phones or my local friends' phones (or texting) and was assured the rates for vx/txt are the same.

So here's my question that I forgot to ask the rep: in order to avoid global data roaming charges, how do I set my phone to not automatically grab data for things like notifications, etc that normally come via 4G if I'm not using wifi, which still being able to receive texts and voice calls?

I think if you go into Settings, More Networks, Mobile Data and uncheck the box at the top your phone won't try to connect to any 3G or 4G networks. You can leave Wifi on and only use that for data. I am doing this right now to avoid going over my limit on data until my usage resets tomorrow.

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    180 Global Posts

Just click off "mobile data"

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Hi I just got a Samsung galaxy s4 sch-i545 verizon phone online I'm trying to unlock it so I don't have to worries about getting a Verizon plan I heard there's away to get it to work with out a sim card all you need is a code .is there anyone that can help me??

Hello, I also think to use my verizon s4 in Turkey this summer, they use 2100mhz for 3g. but I am not sure if i will be able to get 3g speed with local simcards. Were you able to get data in 3G? Thank you

I need the APN settings for AT&T! Anyone please?

When people talk about "bloody expensive" international roaming rates are you talking about the $1.99/min for calls back to the US, or is there a roaming charge in addition to that? If two of us have the Global Voice Plan and we call each other because we got separated, do we both have to pay the $1.49/min charge for local calls? I'm would just like to able to use our current phones to keep in contact with each other as we tend to get separated. Just texting might be sufficient.

I know this is an S4 thread but I am getting the Note 4 with Verizon switching from unlimited data on Sprint. The Note 4 is also supposed to be SIM GSM unlocked. I do not have any current plans to leave Verizon but if I keep going over data I may want to try out TMobile. I realize it may be a little early to ask because the phone is in preorder status right now and not officially released for a few weeks but if I enter the correct APN should both LTE and 3G data work?

Hmmmm, this is why I'm reading this thread myself. Last year I brought my S3 to the Philippines and they cut a regular sim down to micro sim size and everything worked except the phone calls. Data no problem. I believe that it's because they cut it wrong and I need to find a place where they have actual micro sims for sale. I now have an S4, so I'm hoping that both phones will work after doing this. If they don't, oh well. Gonna have to buy a phone there.

The Verizon SCH-I545 is definitely SIM unlocked from the factory. I bought one for this specific reason because I wanted an S4 but did not want to be locked into a contract and at the time when it first came out the only non-contract S4 you could buy was from cricket and I didn't want to be on cricket either so I bought a used i545 for $300 popped in an AT&T paygo SIM card and have been using it ever since with no problems. Only downfall is that I only get HSPA+ and not LTE because the bands for LTE are not compatible.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234