Is Verizon Samsung GS4 GSM unlocked for international use ?

venkat1983

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Does anyone know if the GS4 with verizon is GSM unlocked like their iphone5 ? Is anyone able to verify it with a verizon GS4

Last edited by a moderator:

MERCDROID

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Re: Is verizon Samsung GS4 GSM unlocked for international use ?

Does anyone know if the GS4 with verizon is GSM unlocked like their iphone5 ? Is anyone able to verify it with a verizon GS4

From what I've read, the Verizon Galaxy S4 is unlocked for international use. However, only voice and sms are functional, while roaming on an international carrier. Hope this helps :cool:

s44

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site

However, only voice and sms are functional, while roaming on an international carrier.
Wrong. You just need to enter the proper APN for data (as on any phone). There is no APN editing block as there was on the S3 or the original Note 2 firmware.

Scott Upton

May 25, 2013
Visit site

I don't know if this will help you, but I just talked to a verizon rep on the phone to find this out because I am going abroad in the fall, and she told me that all of their 4G phones are "global ready" which means they will work with a sim card abroad, and you don't need to call technical support to get them unlocked.

AsianAlan

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site

Wrong. You just need to enter the proper APN for data (as on any phone). There is no APN editing block as there was on the S3 or the original Note 2 firmware.

Actually, you're both right/wrong.

If its like the s3, you can get at least voice, and probably sms on the phone without putting the APN data in.
Some APN data seems to be stored on the SIM, depending on which company. docomo in japan does not have APN information on the SIM, but the verizon SIM automatically populates the APN data in the states.
If you want to use a data plan, you need to update the APN settings. Shouldn't be a problem once its rooted, but the stock verizon software won't allow APN updates.

s44

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site

You're wrong. You don't even own the S4. The S3 is irrelevant.

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site

Isn't there a law that says Verizon's LTE phones have to be unlocked due to their license of the 700mhz spectrum?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

StuartV

Allergic to Stupid
Jul 29, 2010
Visit site

The S4 is supposed to work in Europe (and etc.) right out of the box, as long as you've called Verizon to enable International roaming on your account. But, used that way, you'll be paying Verizon for International roaming and it's bloody expensive.

The question is, can you remove the SIM and put in a SIM for a local carrier in the foreign country where you are and use the phone on that carrier? That is what being unlocked would allow you to do. Past Verizon phones have not been unlocked to allow this. But, if you called Tech Support and told them you were going to Europe and wanted to use a local SIM, they would walk you through unlocking (at no charge).

I read a report that the S4 is not locked and that you can use a SIM for a local carrier in Europe, as it comes out of the box. But, I would not trust that. I would call VZW Tech Support and tell them exactly what you want to do - i.e. don't say "can I use my phone in Europe?" The answer to that is yes, you can, at about $1/minute. What you should ask them is, "can I travel to Europe and purchase a SIM from a local carrier and use that in my phone?" If not, they should be able to walk you through unlocking the phone, so you can do that.

StuartV

Allergic to Stupid
Jul 29, 2010
Visit site

Further point of note:

If you replace your SIM with a local SIM, your phone will no longer be connected to your Verizon number - until you put your Verizon SIM back in, of course. With the Euro SIM in your phone, you will have a new number that is local to wherever you are. Say, for example, you go to London and purchase a Three UK SIM and stick it in your phone. From then, you'll be able to call local London numbers at a local call rate (i.e. cheap). But, if anybody calls your Verizon number, it will go straight to voice mail.

Fortunately, if you use Google Voice for your voice mail, when that happens, you'll get an email to your phone (whenever you have a data connection), and you'll know that somebody has called and left you a message. You can listen to it then. And, if you want to call them back, you'll have the choice to make an International call using your Three UK number, or you can put your Verizon SIM back in and make the call using your Verizon account. I have no idea which way would be less expensive. You'd have to consult with Verizon and the local carrier on their International calling rates to figure that out.

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site

Further point of note:

If you replace your SIM with a local SIM, your phone will no longer be connected to your Verizon number - until you put your Verizon SIM back in, of course. With the Euro SIM in your phone, you will have a new number that is local to wherever you are. Say, for example, you go to London and purchase a Three UK SIM and stick it in your phone. From then, you'll be able to call local London numbers at a local call rate (i.e. cheap). But, if anybody calls your Verizon number, it will go straight to voice mail.

Fortunately, if you use Google Voice for your voice mail, when that happens, you'll get an email to your phone (whenever you have a data connection), and you'll know that somebody has called and left you a message. You can listen to it then. And, if you want to call them back, you'll have the choice to make an International call using your Three UK number, or you can put your Verizon SIM back in and make the call using your Verizon account. I have no idea which way would be less expensive. You'd have to consult with Verizon and the local carrier on their International calling rates to figure that out.

Now that is a great reply

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

s44

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site

Isn't there a law that says Verizon's LTE phones have to be unlocked due to their license of the 700mhz spectrum?
It's not a law, it's FCC regulations, but yes. This is why every LTE device of theirs has come out SIM-unlocked.

The question is, can you remove the SIM and put in a SIM for a local carrier in the foreign country where you are and use the phone on that carrier? That is what being unlocked would allow you to do. Past Verizon phones have not been unlocked to allow this.
Wrong. You rattle on and on like you have a clue, but you have literally no idea what you're talking about.

*EVERY* current Verizon LTE device can have the SIM swapped for carrier-native use on any GSM network -- here or abroad. The FCC literally forbids Verizon from SIM-locking these devices. That you don't know this shows your cluelessness. *Some* previous devices have played hide-the-ball with APN settings to require root for data access on non-VZ carriers. Again, this doesn't restrict voice or text use on other networks at all, only data. The Galaxy S3 and the original Note 2 firmware did (this has since been updated out on the Note!), while the iPhone 5, the DNA, and the Galaxy S4 were released with *no APN restrictions whatsoever*. The S4 doesn't let you change the APN if the original VZ SIM is inserted, but that's only sensible.

Get a clue.

venkat1983

May 25, 2013
Visit site

Hey ,

Thank you all for your response. Esp stuartV and S44.
I checked with verizon customer support. They sound like the phone should work seamlessly with a foreign GSM network (voice,data and SMS). I do not trust them 100 % though.

flthyrich

May 2, 2013
Visit site

Great! I'm in New Zealand and might try this out! I'll report back if it works or not.

shmuly1981

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site

It's not a law, it's FCC regulations, but yes. This is why every LTE device of theirs has come out SIM-unlocked.

Wrong. You rattle on and on like you have a clue, but you have literally no idea what you're talking about.

*EVERY* current Verizon LTE device can have the SIM swapped for carrier-native use on any GSM network -- here or abroad. The FCC literally forbids Verizon from SIM-locking these devices. That you don't know this shows your cluelessness. *Some* previous devices have played hide-the-ball with APN settings to require root for data access on non-VZ carriers. Again, this doesn't restrict voice or text use on other networks at all, only data. The Galaxy S3 and the original Note 2 firmware did (this has since been updated out on the Note!), while the iPhone 5, the DNA, and the Galaxy S4 were released with *no APN restrictions whatsoever*. The S4 doesn't let you change the APN if the original VZ SIM is inserted, but that's only sensible.

Get a clue.

Since it looks like you definitely know what you are talking about I hope you can help me out too. I got the S4 (I545) with verizon last month and currently trying a local Sim abroad. Although the phone is indeed unlocked (which is what the VZW techies also tell you) the new sim doesn't allow you ta make any changes to roaming or APN features and keeps warning you that no Verizon sim is found. I think voice works but I'm not able to use data with the other carriers sim card.
I never rooted the phone and also ran latest update which apparently blocks the latest way of rooting your phone. Do you have any idea what else I can do. It seems very frustrating that Verizon promises you an unlocked phone but it still seems to be carrier locked somehow. Mind you I googled a little and seems there is only problem with the 545 version and the 9500 versions are all working abroad.

Any help/tips or advise is welcome!

Ahmad Gharaibeh

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site

I just came back from Jordan. I popped the Verizon SIM out and inserted a local prepaid SIM from the Jordanian carriers into my S4. All, voice, text and data worked. The phone had a sign on the top saying "Non Verizon SIM Card" but it worked!!

If you can't get either of the voice/data/test to work, then you have to go to Settings-Connections-More networks-Mobile networks-Network mode and switch the selection to "Global"
Then
Settings-Connections-More networks-Mobile networks- Access Point Names, click lower left corner of the phone to add then click "Add New Access Point" and add the parameters of the local carriers (You'll have to get that from the local carrier or google it)

Hope this helps!

Wilbur

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site

I just came back from Jordan. I popped the Verizon SIM out and inserted a local prepaid SIM from the Jordanian carriers into my S4. All, voice, text and data worked. The phone had a sign on the top saying "Non Verizon SIM Card" but it worked!!

If you can't get either of the voice/data/test to work, then you have to go to Settings-Connections-More networks-Mobile networks-Network mode and switch the selection to "Global"
Then
Settings-Connections-More networks-Mobile networks- Access Point Names, click lower left corner of the phone to add then click "Add New Access Point" and add the parameters of the local carriers (You'll have to get that from the local carrier or google it)

Hope this helps!

Both of my GS4 32Gb phones came configured to the Global setting. It worked fine in Southern Californa on Global but I have switched it to LTE/CDMA and it also works fine. Should I leave it on LTE/CDMA ??

Joe Hurtado

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site

I am having issues with the phone working in Germany right now. I can call and text but I cannot use data... Supposely there is an software issue with samsung and the rep on Verizon says that there has been an issue ongoing with this. I will let you know if I can get it to work but sounds like its not gonna happen

Laurence Nash

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site

Going through this thread there doesn't seem to be a consensus. Has anybody else been able to pop in a SIM from a gsm country and have it work on a Verizon GS4 for talk, text and data? Verizon is not in agreement on this - some say yes, some say not yet because will require a software upgrade. This is all assuming an unlocked phone. Thanks.

Mark Kanczak

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site

Just went to Korea and plugged in several sim cards and they dont work in the s4.
the error message is the sim is not a Verizon sim. And even with global settings picked it still did not like the new sim.
If the phone was really unlocked. Then why this error Message.

I need to resolve this issue quickly.

jettie1767

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site

Just went to Korea and plugged in several sim cards and they dont work in the s4.
the error message is the sim is not a Verizon sim. And even with global settings picked it still did not like the new sim.
If the phone was really unlocked. Then why this error Message.

I need to resolve this issue quickly.

Yes, it's not unlocked. I just got my 32GB today and tried a SIM from the Philippines and Singapore. No go on both. I also get the not a Verizon SIM message.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trudycharles