How do I disable 4G on Galaxy S4 to save battery life? Can't find "Phone Info" page

Trenton Peluso

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
Take a gsm sim and put it in your gs4 go to settings/more networks/mobile networks/ then select use gsm and then go to APNs and delete the Verizon 4g lte APN

Leo G

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
I just tried 4G toggle, worthless. All it does is bring you to a screen in your phone you can already access through settings.

wrpdndprsd

Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
Has anyone found a fix for this since the update? Every app I try I get an error not allowing them to open. I get amazing 3G coverage in my area and spotty 4G so my battery gets drained terribly when it goes back and forth constantly.

Phil Bessler

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
I spoke with Tech support at Samsung and they he told me they removed all access to CDMA only. The only way to do it is to void the warranty and change the firmware. no thanks.

Leo G

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Did they say why they did that? It was a great phone when I got it. Every upgrade takes some greatness away.

slovisa

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
I agree with you Leo...4g is nice....but unneeded. Just drains the battery faster. Luckly, I had mine set to 3g before the update, and It stayed that way. Hopefully it will stay like that until I'm ready to move on to the next latest/greatest. Samsung or not.

Leo G

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
So you don't have access to 4G anymore? That would be just as bad. I like 4G when it's in a good area. Just have an issue in my shop where the 4G signal is low quality and the phone doesn't know what to do with it and it slows down my internet connection. I don't have a battery problem. When I have battery drain it's usually caused by the hotspot.

slovisa

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
Actually, I believe in the Mobile networks page.....under network mode, it currently says "Preferred network mode CDMA"....and opening it up.....I have 3 choices....Global, LTE/CDMA, GSM/UMTS....with radio buttons next to each....of which none are activated. So...If I choose LTE/CDMA....I assume I'd go back to 4g mode. But I'm not gonna touch it. I'm happy on 3g for the battery savings.

Leo G

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
That sounds about right. When I had access to the test page when I chose auto CDMA p r n that is what my screen looked like too.

Gav508

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
No work around yet for this issue? I like being able to turn off 4G when I go into buildings to save battery. I can't do it either after this last update. Come on Verizon. Some of us want to shut of 4G for a reason. Give us the option.

Leo G

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Re: How do I disable 4G on Galaxy S4 to save battery life? Can't find "Phone Info" page

Sounds like it was Samsung that pulled the plug on this one.

- - - Updated - - -

Sounds like it was Samsung that pulled the plug on this one.

qbot101

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
Re: How do I disable 4G on Galaxy S4 to save battery life? Can't find "Phone Info" page

Darn, I'm in the same boat with the Galaxy Note 2. Useless data on LTE downtown between the hours of 10 and 5. ugh

tjoebgen

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Question for the group...
Has anyone checked to see if, after the 4.3 update:
A) their data usage dramatically increased after being forced back to 4G?
B) their battery life has dropped because of spotty 4G?
C) their phone still says 3G but their data usage has suddenly increased for no reason?
D) their phone still says 3G but you seem to have spotty connections now, and/or your battery life has suddenly reduced?

tjoebgen

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Actually, I believe in the Mobile networks page.....under network mode, it currently says "Preferred network mode CDMA"....and opening it up.....I have 3 choices....Global, LTE/CDMA, GSM/UMTS....with radio buttons next to each....of which none are activated. So...If I choose LTE/CDMA....I assume I'd go back to 4g mode. But I'm not gonna touch it. I'm happy on 3g for the battery savings.

Yep - do NOT touch it!
I just did and now I'm screwed

I've had mine purposefully locked on 3g since I got the phone (GS3) due to spotty 4g reception, etc. and loved it that way.
Ever since the 4.3 update, my 3g reception seemed a bit spotty so I figured the update toggled me back to LTE (even though it says 3g). So I tried to toggle 4g back on and off again, only to find out that I can't do that anymore -- grrr... I have hated this update since the very minute I got it.

tjoebgen

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
I use to keep my phone at 3G because I stream music to my phone when I drive and after getting the S3 with 4G/LTE the stream would stop and start often during my drive. It wouldn't do it when stationary, only while moving - like it was switching towers or something. Switching back to only 3G solved this problem, and my battery life improved a little too. I'm in a 4G area but it must be more sensitive than 3G and streaming media feels it.
But after the 4.3 update, the streaming has been spotty again while driving. The phone was still saying 3G on the notification bar, but I'm wondering if it was really doing 4G.
The other reason I ask is because suddenly my phone is using a lot more data on a daily basis than before the update. Like maybe it really was on 4G (and over-charging for data) but telling me it was 3G because I had it forced before the update...

Ace2448

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
The Battery Monitor Widget app can't access Device Information anymore. Darn VZW they must have blocked it after people were changing settings. Anyone else know of any other app that can turn off 4G. Already tried 4G Switch and it doesn't work either - it just gave me a blank screen. Waste of a $1. Hope developer will refund my money.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa