How do I disable 4G on Galaxy S4 to save battery life? Can't find "Phone Info" page

amirh1

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Just upgraded from RAZR MAXX to S4, phone's GREAT but battery is less than MAXX (probably on par with rest of phones).

On the MAXX the various 4g toggles (e.g. LTE OnOFF for Thunderbolt, Widgetsoid) worked by opening the detailed "Phone Info" where I chose "CDMA auto" from a drop down.

Those don't work on the S4, they take me to the settings to choose network and only three choices there.

Anyone knows how to get to Phone Info screen, or of any apps that take you there directly?

Thanks!!

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Long press on the desktop and add a widget. Look for a 4g widget, power control widget, or settings widget. You should have one of those three available.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

isosunrise

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Right now, an app called "phone info" does the trick... You can disable LTE and have EVDO/CDMA only. I'm planning on keeping it at LTE most of the time though, just for those bad reception areas.

amirh1

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Right now, an app called "phone info" does the trick... You can disable LTE and have EVDO/CDMA only. I'm planning on keeping it at LTE most of the time though, just for those bad reception areas.
I've seen that app referenced on threads but the link is broken. When I search Play Store there is a "Phone Info" app but it just displays values, can't change them (and even it doesn't display the LTE settings).
If you can send me a working link that would be great!

Long press on the desktop and add a widget. Look for a 4g widget, power control widget, or settings widget. You should have one of those three available.
That doesn't work. Maybe it used to, but doesn't on Verizon's S4.

amirh1

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Settings> more networks> mobile networks>network mode> cdma.

Doing that, the option is "LTE/CDMA". There is no CDMA-only option.

Note this is S4 on Verizon, I do understand S3 variants or maybe S4 on other networks have different options - I'm looking for something that works on my phone :)

Notsosure

May 21, 2013
Visit site

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Seems like my S4 is missing some widgets...missing the power control widgets and missing the favorite contact widget. Anyone know why is that?

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk

josearmz10789

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Damn verizon must have disabled it then. I don't have lte with sprint at least in ny area so that's how I disabled the lte. Can't think of anything else as I don't have a verizon s4

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Android Central Forums

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I've read that the Verizon S4 has some settings removed, including widgets. There should be some other way to disable LTE within the Mobile Networks settings.

mmf115

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Looks like currently there is no way to disable just 4g. You can only disable all data connections from what I've seen.

Apparently there used to be an app on the play store that worked with the S3, but since has been removed.

I'm having the same issues, somehow my office building in midtown NYC gets horrible 4G service, and my battery gets drained searching for a signal.

318sugarhill

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I sideloaded the app Phone Info that has been referenced. Somebody linked it from their dropbox account on XDA. It allows for CDMA auto prl to be selected so that it is in 3g only mode. What the app doesn't have (that apps like LTE switch have) is the ability to put it in LTE/CDMA mode that eliminates 3g. LTE switch offered the standard LTE/CDMA/EVDO that allowed 1x, 3g, and 4g. from there you could go CDMA only which was 1x data and voice, LTE and voice with no 3g, 3g and voice, or any variant of GSM radios if the phone/rom supported it.

Unfortunately LTE switch and the other variant apps don't work on the S4. Would love to know why.

mmf115

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
After a quick google search, one guy is claiming that the app "4G Switch" actually worked for his Verizon S4. It's 99 cents on the play store currently. May give it a shot later, currently I have no data service.

318sugarhill

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
After a quick google search, one guy is claiming that the app "4G Switch" actually worked for his Verizon S4. It's 99 cents on the play store currently. May give it a shot later, currently I have no data service.

I bought, tried, and then refunded the app. I can confirm it does work. It is identical to the phone info app referenced. I can't tell the difference between them other than one costs a buck, and the other I sideloaded from XDA. Either way, neither have what I want which is to force the phone into LTE only mode WITH CDMA for voice only (1x) I could do this on the Rezound with LTE switch, but not here. just not an option....but this WILL disable 4G if that is what you want.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
For the Galaxy S4--LOVE IT! Try this:
Settings > More Networks > Mobile Networks > uncheck 'Mobile Data'

Yeah, but that disables ALL mobile data, the OP is trying to disable LTE only and drop the phone into 3G...

I sideloaded the app Phone Info that has been referenced. Somebody linked it from their dropbox account on XDA. It allows for CDMA auto prl to be selected so that it is in 3g only mode. What the app doesn't have (that apps like LTE switch have) is the ability to put it in LTE/CDMA mode that eliminates 3g. LTE switch offered the standard LTE/CDMA/EVDO that allowed 1x, 3g, and 4g. from there you could go CDMA only which was 1x data and voice, LTE and voice with no 3g, 3g and voice, or any variant of GSM radios if the phone/rom supported it.

Unfortunately LTE switch and the other variant apps don't work on the S4. Would love to know why.

I bought, tried, and then refunded the app. I can confirm it does work. It is identical to the phone info app referenced. I can't tell the difference between them other than one costs a buck, and the other I sideloaded from XDA. Either way, neither have what I want which is to force the phone into LTE only mode WITH CDMA for voice only (1x) I could do this on the Rezound with LTE switch, but not here. just not an option....but this WILL disable 4G if that is what you want.

Here's an easy trick to get to the "Phone Info" screen (for free):

Download "Battery Monitor Widget" (This is great app to have regardless; free version works fine)
Place widget somewhere on your homescreen
click on widget to open app
Click on "Tests" (bottom of screen)
Click on "Device Information"

*Disclaimer: Don't blame me if you mess up anything in that screen -- I'm going to assume you know what to do from there; I'm just providing an easy alternative method to get there.

amirh1

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Here's an easy trick to get to the "Phone Info" screen (for free):

Download "Battery Monitor Widget" (This is great app to have regardless; free version works fine)
Place widget somewhere on your homescreen
click on widget to open app
Click on "Tests" (bottom of screen)
Click on "Device Information"

*Disclaimer: Don't blame me if you mess up anything in that screen -- I'm going to assume you know what to do from there; I'm just providing an easy alternative method to get there.

Thanks! That's the screen I was looking for. Now I'm hoping battery life will improve.

And I'm looking forward to someone finally developing a one-click toggle that switches on/off (I haven't seen any that actually work like that since ICS, at most they bring you to the phone info screen).

318sugarhill

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Many toggles don't work anymore in android 4.2. Many of the toggles I used to use are now in the pull down menu. Not a fan but it is what it is. I want a 3G toggle off to stay in 4g mode. Damn thing wants to evert to 3G even though I'm in a 4g area. My battery life is outstanding. First android I've owned that makes it morning to night with life to spare. I turned off gimmicky air gestures and I tracking and I use power saving mode.

nevynthenomad

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
That's it! Thank you!
The "GSM/CDMA auto (PRL)" setting brought me back to 3G.
I can appreciate whatever the OP here was trying to do (or maybe not) but my main concern is that I'll watch a bit of a documentary on Netflix while on a smoke break but only 4-6 minutes of it.
On 4G LTE, I'm pretty sure I download way more than 6 minutes of my show, only to X it out a few minutes later and go back to work. This wastes data, I'm SURE of it.
Thank you for the app idea and this wonderful fix to this awesome device.

draxxis4454

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
My goodness thank you so much. I have been battling with Verizon trying to find a way to keep my phone in 3g mode while at work. Now I am all set. thank you once again!