Period to sync email?

Maddog241

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
When I set up my Verizon.net email, I can't find an option to set the prior period to sync email. It keeps pulling email from months ago.

My work exchange email account has the option, but I can't find it for the Verizon account. Has anyone seen this?

Cigar-Junkie

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Probably you are. I would recommend Gmail and Drive, if you ever leave Verizon all of your mail and apps stay with you. Changing devices is easier too, put your gmail into the phone and boom, you have set everything.

Maddog241

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Probably you are. I would recommend Gmail and Drive, if you ever leave Verizon all of your mail and apps stay with you. Changing devices is easier too, put your gmail into the phone and boom, you have set everything.

I appreciate your response. I have Gmail as well, but have used Verizon.net longer since I have Fios at home. Does anyone use a POP3 mail service account like yahoo on the S4? Does any POP3 account give the option for sync period?

ddsdavid

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I have a couple Comcast POP3 accounts and had the same issue. There is no setting that I could find to limit the sync period. I had to mark them as read so they would not reload. The other thing I don't understand on the S4 compared to my old DNA is the POP 3 mail disappears from the phone after reading it & I have it set not to delete off the server.. I do not have this issue with Gmail.

Maddog241

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I have a couple Comcast POP3 accounts and had the same issue. There is no setting that I could find to limit the sync period. I had to mark them as read so they would not reload. The other thing I don't understand on the S4 compared to my old DNA is the POP 3 mail disappears from the phone after reading it & I have it set not to delete off the server.. I do not have this issue with Gmail.

Thank you sir for confirming that I wasn't crazy on this. I have not seen a problem though with disappearing after reading as you described...

Menashe1

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
I've had the exact same issue with my S3 on AT&T and "solved" it with K-9.

I manage a personal domain for about 20 family members. I don't have a quick or cost-effective way to move the domain to IMAP, so for now, I'm stuck with POP3. Every other mobile platform (BB, Win phone, iOS) manages this by providing a time period to sync, so you never get old messages, but for some reason, no Android client seems to offer this, at least not for Galaxy which makes me wonder if the problem is on Samsung's implementation of the APIs?

In any event, I've installed K-9. It also doesn't offer the ability to limit by time period, but it does offer a combination of several settings which seem to replicate more or less what I had before on BlackBerry.
Under Account Settings -> Fetching Mail:
  1. Set "Local folder size" to 1000 messages
  2. Uncheck "Sync server deletions"
  3. Turn on the setting "When I delete a message, Delete from server"

As long as you don't exceed 1000 messages between downloads from the POP server, this works as follows:
  • Downloads email from your POP server to your phone, leaving it on the server
  • Keeps email on your phone even after you download it to your PC and remove it from the server
  • Eventually starts to remove messages from your phone as the list exceeds 1000 messages so the list of messages doesn't grow forever

As a bonus, K-9 gives you the option to store email on your SD card (Settings->Account Settings->Storage)

The stock email client is missing the critical setting not to sync server deletions, so once you download mail to your PC, it disappears from your phone. K-9 solves this problem and allows you to approximate what I think you're looking for.

Of course, if you exceed 1000 messages between downloads, you'll see the original bug of old messages coming in as unread, an issue that doesn't exist if it had a "Period to sync email" option.

Hope this helps...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
catherinediane