Results 1 to 18 of 18
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MBM7881
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Make SMS messages show up on lock screen?

    I'm new to the Samsung market (had a Palm Pre 2 for the last 2 years and was glad to see it die), so I'm still learning all the little tricks I can do with my phone. For the life of me, I cannot seem to figure out a way to have my phone show who new sms messages are from or have the body of text on the screen. Sometimes I don't want to have to go into the messages app just to read a message, but would rather get a quick glance. Is there anything I can do to have it show who messages are from and what they say from the lock screen instead of just "New Message"?

    I added the messages widget on the side, but still it only shows the first 3 or 4 words of a message.
  2. #2  
    MBM7881's Avatar

    Posts
    601 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,123 Global Posts
    ROM
    Ice Cream Sandwich

    Default Re: Make SMS messages show up on lock screen?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Pearson View Post
    I'm new to the Samsung market (had a Palm Pre 2 for the last 2 years and was glad to see it die), so I'm still learning all the little tricks I can do with my phone. For the life of me, I cannot seem to figure out a way to have my phone show who new sms messages are from or have the body of text on the screen. Sometimes I don't want to have to go into the messages app just to read a message, but would rather get a quick glance. Is there anything I can do to have it show who messages are from and what they say from the lock screen instead of just "New Message"?

    I added the messages widget on the side, but still it only shows the first 3 or 4 words of a message.

    The option is available on the S4. I have it on mine. Go into the messaging app, settings, and under notification settings check the preview message box. Hope that helps

    Sent from my GT-N8013 using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:
    GB333 likes this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default Re: Make SMS messages show up on lock screen?

    Awesome, thanks! Didn't think to look in the app settings themselves!
  4. #4  
    MBM7881's Avatar

    Posts
    601 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,123 Global Posts
    ROM
    Ice Cream Sandwich

    Default Re: Make SMS messages show up on lock screen?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Pearson View Post
    Awesome, thanks! Didn't think to look in the app settings themselves!
    No problem glad I could help

    Sent from my GT-N8013 using Android Central Forums
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Make SMS messages show up on lock screen?

    Yeah I figured it out too...but wondered is there a way to get to the message from the pop up on the lockscreen? No matter how I swipe or tap it doesnt work.
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Make SMS messages show up on lock screen?

    when i click on the message i go right to it. Maybe its a longer press?
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Make SMS messages show up on lock screen?

    Chomp SMS is pretty good when it comes to getting SMS on the lock screen. There's some pretty good settings for quick reply as well. The only negative I have found is that the screen stays on sometimes after the sms notification goes off. So if you aren't near your phone the screen could stay on. Happens about 50% off the time, weird.

    The quick compose, and reply also on the home screen/in apps looks exactly like BiteSMS.
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Make SMS messages show up on lock screen?

    Quote Originally Posted by mmf115 View Post
    Chomp SMS is pretty good when it comes to getting SMS on the lock screen. There's some pretty good settings for quick reply as well. The only negative I have found is that the screen stays on sometimes after the sms notification goes off. So if you aren't near your phone the screen could stay on. Happens about 50% off the time, weird.

    The quick compose, and reply also on the home screen/in apps looks exactly like BiteSMS.
    How did you get the locked screen pop up feature to work on the S4. I've recently upgraded from the S1 and this feature worked perfectly. But since upgrading to the 4and trying many different settings I have yet to get it to work. Had to unlock the screen each time I get a message.
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Make SMS messages show up on lock screen?

    Haha that's because it essentially is biteSMS. It's made by the same people.
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Make SMS messages show up on lock screen?

    Handcent also allows responding from the pop up on the lock screen.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Make SMS messages show up on lock screen?

    I got my AT&T Galaxy S4 a couple of months ago. My text messages showed up on the lock screen when I got my phone and then they disappeared and I started getting a message on my drop down notifications that I had messages waiting through AT&T messaging which I had never used or activated. I called AT&T and they told me they recently downloaded this service to my phone. This was an automatic update/download from AT&T, I did not ask for it. They had me go to settings/more/application manager/AT&T Messaging ap/ and uninstall the update/select OK to install factory installed version, it uninstalls the update but leaves the ap on your phone. Once this update was uninstalled, my text messages began showing up on my screen again. Also, now my message icon now shows the number of texts I have waiting for me again, (it to had disappeared). This fixed my problem, no sure if it is the same for other carriers.
    Thanked by:
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Make SMS messages show up on lock screen?

    Thanks a lot. I really need this feature. I tried a lot to search this.

    Thanks
    Thanked by:
  13. #13  

    Red face Re: Make SMS messages show up on lock screen?

    thanks so much,,,,this worked,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,doing happy dance
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Make SMS messages show up on lock screen?

    worked for me as well - thanks guys
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Make SMS messages show up on lock screen?

    I turned off in message settings preview, now when I receive a text I get "new text messages". When turned on I get the contacts name & some of the text written from the person. Is there a way I can receive the contacts name only?
  16. #16  

    Default Re: Make SMS messages show up on lock screen?

    Hi. I have a problem with the messaging app. I am new to android and actually I feel very dumb because I got used to the iPhones user friendly environment. I bought the S4 about two weeks ago, and somehow I enabled the pop up on the lock screen that says I have a message. It has become annoying because its a useless pop up, I can hardly press on it because most of the time it just goes into edit mode or something. I want to remove it completely and apparently the "Preview Message" setting does not work when I untick it.
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Make SMS messages show up on lock screen?

    Try Smart Notify app with popup window with SMS reply, call, save to calendar, reminder and other options on lock screen
  18. #18  

    Default Re: Make SMS messages show up on lock screen?

    I'm actually opposite, I don't want the screen to light up with a text notification. Without using 3rd party apps, I can't disable it.

Similar Threads

  1. RANDOM apps showing up on main screens
    By jimmy824 in forum Verizon HTC Thunderbolt
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-13-2014, 06:00 PM
  2. SMS or text messages on lock screen
    By tommynyc1 in forum Samsung Galaxy S4
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 04-08-2014, 11:21 AM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-11-2013, 01:56 PM
  4. Is there a way to make US holidays show up on the calendar?
    By exsterminator in forum AT&T Samsung Infuse
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-12-2011, 01:05 PM
  5. ? On Text message notification on lock screen
    By mrmercedes22 in forum HTC EVO 4G
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-04-2010, 06:43 PM

Posting Permissions

B