1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Which apps have you disabled?

I'm curious to know which Verizon apps you have disabled. There are a few that I'm not sure what they do that I had planned on researching today before I disable them.

I've turned off:

Blurb Checkout
    Briefing
    Caller Name ID
    Com2usPoker
    NFL Mobile
    Yahoo! Finance
    Yahoo! News

Global Posts
    620 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Re: Which apps have you disabled?

With the limited memory on this phone I would love to uninstall apps that I will never use. Other than stop future updates does "Disable" really do anything?

ROM
    Stock on most

Quote Originally Posted by Cigar-Junkie View Post
    With the limited memory on this phone I would love to uninstall apps that I will never use. Other than stop future updates does "Disable" really do anything?
    Actually, yes it does. Take the Story Album app. I've never used it, but it keeps suggesting some of my pics would make great albums. I opened the apps list the other day and noticed it had amassed 24 MB of internal data storage. By deleting that and disabling the app, I regained almost 25 MB of storage that an app had taken basically without permission.

I've disabled quite a few more than the OP and have had no bad side effects. However, I don't use S Voice or any of the Samsung store type apps, so you may want to choose differently.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Which apps have you disabled?-screenshot_2013-05-28-12-02-02.jpg   Which apps have you disabled?-screenshot_2013-05-28-12-01-52.jpg   Which apps have you disabled?-screenshot_2013-05-28-12-01-42.jpg   Which apps have you disabled?-screenshot_2013-05-28-12-01-28.jpg  
    Thanked by 2:

Thank you for all the screenshots. I agreed and disabled and cleared data for almost all the same things. Phone is cleaner, smoother and has a bit more internal memory.
    Thank you for taking the time to post.

NevynTheNomad

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Charm is a way of getting the answer yes without asking a clear question.”
    -- Albert Camus (1913-1960)

Samsung link is diabled on my Galaxy S 4. I want to enable it?

Global Posts
    45 Global Posts

I notice you have the Kindle app disabled. This is one of my favorites. In some ways it's better than a Kindle reader device, esp since it produces color images on the phone. I now use it much more often than the Kindle reader (one less device to carry around)

But thanks for the advice on disabling all that other stuff. NFL, Verizon tones etc I have zero interest or use for.

Quote Originally Posted by nevynthenomad View Post
    Thank you for all the screenshots. I agreed and disabled and cleared data for almost all the same things. Phone is cleaner, smoother and has a bit more internal memory.
    Thank you for taking the time to post.

NevynTheNomad

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Charm is a way of getting the answer yes without asking a clear question.”
    -- Albert Camus (1913-1960)
    Quick question. I see this a lot where users talk about disabling apps. Exactly how do you do it? Using Force Stop, etc? Won't they simply reactivate on a restart? For example, I wanted to stop AT&T Locker. When I tapped on Stop, I immediately got a message noting that by doing so would just reinstall the older version!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 (SGH-I337) using Tapatalk Pro

Disabling (now labeled "Turn off") is easy. From the Home screen, do Menu > Settings > More > Application manager. Scroll the heading at the top toward the right until you get to the All column. Give it a minute to populate, then scroll down and find an app you don't want to use, but don't don't want to (or can't) uninstall. Tap the app's name, then on the next screen tap Turn off. That's it! You won't see the app in the Applications screen, and it won't be active on your phone.

Some apps have the Turn off button grayed out. That's usually because they're enough a part of the system that they shouldn't be disabled (or sometimes Samsung just really wants you to use it, even though you never will). Can't do anything about those. On the other hand, apps that you have disabled will appear in a new "Turned off" column in Application manager, to the right of All. There you can repeat the process and tap the Turn on button if you want to restore one of them.
    Thanked by:
    randun 

Quote Originally Posted by Dave-in-Decatur View Post
    Disabling (now labeled "Turn off") is easy. From the Home screen, do Menu > Settings > More > Application manager. Scroll the heading at the top toward the right until you get to the All column. Give it a minute to populate, then scroll down and find an app you don't want to use, but don't don't want to (or can't) uninstall. Tap the app's name, then on the next screen tap Turn off. That's it! You won't see the app in the Applications screen, and it won't be active on your phone.

Some apps have the Turn off button grayed out. That's usually because they're enough a part of the system that they shouldn't be disabled (or sometimes Samsung just really wants you to use it, even though you never will). Can't do anything about those. On the other hand, apps that you have disabled will appear in a new "Turned off" column in Application manager, to the right of All. There you can repeat the process and tap the Turn on button if you want to restore one of them.
    Well, another 'Duh' moment for me. :-) Will start turning off today. Tx

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 (SGH-I337) using Tapatalk Pro