Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By paintdrinkingpete
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    11 Global Posts

Default Wifi Connection Issues with S4

I know that there have been some posts about wifi connection issues with some D-Link routers but what I have been experiencing is that if I am connected to a wifi router with WPA then the phone will not keep a constant connection. It stays connected for several minutes 5-10 and then drops connection and then reconnects. On my home router (Intellinet 300N) it won't connect at all if I have WPA (any configuration) enabled. If I disable wireless security settings then it will connect and stay connected. I called Verizon support about it and they said it was not a confirmed issue but expects that it soon will be as he said they have gotten a lot of calls about it. With him saying that I am surprised to not see (or could not find) anything about it on the forums here. Is anyone experiencing similar issues with their wifi connections? This seems to be the case with any router I have connected to. I am concerned that this is just an issue with my handset rather than all or a subset of S4s.

ROM
    Stock on most

Default Re: Wifi Connection Issues with S4

Mine is connecting fine and staying connected to an Apple Airport Extreme. You'd think if it would drop any connection on a regular basis, it would be from an arch nemesis Apple product.
    There's a lot of factors that play into WiFi connectivity. Have you tried changing the broadcast channel on your router? What some people don't understand is the auto mode on those routers can actually cause the problem you're seeing. In the auto mode, a router will find a channel and sit on it until it detects some interference from another router (or even a microwave). Then it shifts to another channel. This process is repeated as new interference is detected. That channel switching can cause your network drop out. In a lot of cases, it's better to fix the channel to a permanent one and basically stake out your territory so the router isn't constantly migrating channels.
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    11 Global Posts

That's a good suggestion actually for the problem of it going up and down but I have set all of my wifi routers here at work with specific channels and I have this issue. I still haven't figure out why it has issues with my other routers with WPA installed (stuck trying to obtain IP address). Still, with no one else mentioning these types of issues I am beginning to suspect I have a faulty phone. I may go ahead and take it back to Verizon and see if I can swap it out.

Thanks!
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    11 Global Posts

To put a period on this I went back to Verizon and swapped out for a new phone and now everything works fine except for my home WIFI that still doesn't connect at all with WPA enabled. All other access points have worked fine.

Just to give you some support.... I have a new Galaxy S4 that is also experiencing the WiFi disconnect problem on a Verizon router at home. It stays connected for anywhere from 15 to 30 minutes, suddenly disconnects, and then reconnects a minute or two later. The connection period is long enough that I can still get useful work out of it if I'm careful, but it is extremely aggravating nonetheless. Furthermore, I've had it disconnect in the middle of a data transfer.

The S4 also disconnects from my WiFi connection at work, which is even more disturbing to me. I work at a major US university, and would expect connections of this nature to be top-notch. The fact that the S4 is unreliable there is a significant problem.

I personally think the problem is with the S4 and not with various other routers or WiFi connection points. I haven't found a solution yet, but appreciate everyone's input.

Best...
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    11 Global Posts

I agree with you. I think the S4 has some problems. Even after swapping out the phones I have still never gotten it to connect to my home router (unless I turn off WPA) and after just getting back from a trip I would say that most of the time my phone would have trouble connecting to routers even if it was open some of which were Linksys routers not D-Link. My situation is better but I hope there is some sort of fix coming down the pipe soone, it kind of stinks to be forced out of unlimited data and then get a phone that has wifi connection issues.

Now I might add that I upgraded from an HTC Thunderbolt so even with the WiFi issues I am still in heaven on the S4!
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Global Posts
    11 Global Posts

Fixed!!

The latest update from Samsung fixed this issue for me it now connects faster to routers that were working and connects to my home router just fine.

Often issues like these can also be solved by applying the latest firmware update to your router, if nothing else is working.
    GeekNews likes this.

My phone was fine with Wi-Fi when I first got it, but the past few weeks it had been doing what you described. It connects fine, and then drops connection and reconnects. I see my screen light up and says it's connected. I haven't changed my router or anything.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AC Forums mobile app

I spoke with samsung about this issue and they said that the advanced secuirity features on the s4 and s4a have conflicts connecting to certain routers and the routers need to be updated.

from what ever phone I feel like using today

I have an S4 and when I tried to connect to my wifi, it says "Obtaining IP Address" and then fails to connect. It does that continuously, even my old Samsung Nexus connected. The weird thing is, it's only this wifi modem. How do I fix this?

Quote Originally Posted by ZoeChen View Post
    I have an S4 and when I tried to connect to my wifi, it says "Obtaining IP Address" and then fails to connect. It does that continuously, even my old Samsung Nexus connected. The weird thing is, it's only this wifi modem. How do I fix this?
    U need to update it WiFi router, my s4 does this all the time. Samsung also said input a static ip address.

from what ever phone I feel like using today

Quote Originally Posted by chasdl View Post
    The S4 also disconnects from my WiFi connection at work, which is even more disturbing to me. I work at a major US university, and would expect connections of this nature to be top-notch. The fact that the S4 is unreliable there is a significant problem.

I personally think the problem is with the S4 and not with various other routers or WiFi connection points. I haven't found a solution yet, but appreciate everyone's input.
    Not to resurrect an old thread here, but I've been experiencing this exact thing with my S4 (on Sprint) at my work, which is the University of Wisconsin. It can't handle transfers from access point to access point very easily. I sit at the junction of two APs, and have never had an issue with my S3, but my S4 is constantly disconnecting, reconnecting all day.

I just factory reset my device several different times and it continually comes back. Samsung says they have no reports of issues such as this, and recommend a new device, but I can not imagine that its the the device itself since so many others have had these issues?! I don't really want a refurb device.

Hey guys, I've had a wifi issue with my S4 as well, but I'm not sure if its the same as what other people are talking about here. I most often notice it when I go to unlock my phone, it then freezes and won't let me unlock the phone for 30 seconds or so, then I'm able to access the phone, but the wifi will be dead. I go to check the wifi settings, and it lags as I try to enter them, then if I try to turn on the wifi, the button is unresponsive for 20 seconds or so, then switches on, and the wifi works fine again. There doesn't seem to be any consistent trigger I've noticed for the issue and I've had it on several different brands of routers, not sure if you guys have the same odd behavior from your phone when the wifi dies.

I just received a Samsung Galaxy S4 and I am having serious problems transerring data to my Dlink router, which I have had for several years and works perfectly with a number of computers and all my other devices, iPads, iPhones, Laptops, PC's etc. I even reset the router. The S4 will connect and obtains and IP address, it will attempt to send/receive data for a brief period then stop. I have it setup for WPA Personal. Wireless G/N

I have not received the latest update for this phone yet from Verizon. It is fresh from the factory. Clearly there is something wrong with the either software or hardware with the Verizon S4 WIFI.

Quote Originally Posted by redhatfan View Post
    I just received a Samsung Galaxy S4 and I am having serious problems transerring data to my Dlink router, which I have had for several years and works perfectly with a number of computers and all my other devices, iPads, iPhones, Laptops, PC's etc. I even reset the router. The S4 will connect and obtains and IP address, it will attempt to send/receive data for a brief period then stop. I have it setup for WPA Personal. Wireless G/N

I have not received the latest update for this phone yet from Verizon. It is fresh from the factory. Clearly there is something wrong with the either software or hardware with the Verizon S4 WIFI.
    Make sure your router is updated to the latest firmware - some forum posts indicate that may fix the issue.
    Samsung Galaxy S4 (Verizon - SCH-I545) - Android 4.3

Don't mean to resurrect an old thread, but i'm experiencing the same issue; stuck on "obtaining ip address" this didn't start until i updated my Dlink router to the latest firmware!
    Update: powered off phone for a few minutes and powered back on. Now it is connected. Weird....
    Last edited by Keith Kageff; 12-06-2013 at 10:26 PM. Reason: .