Texting via WiFi

Coffeeman

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
There is not a "setting", however, if you are a Google Voice subscriber, and have a Google Voice Telephone number, you can text and make/receive calls while on WiFi. The free Tapatone App (In the Market), also uses your Google Voice telephone number to text and make/receive calls.

kilofoxtrot

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
Checkout the Message app by Verizon.... It works on tablets as well. It can work over wifi.

Posted via Android Central App

prodigy1814

May 1, 2013
Visit site
Checkout the Message app by Verizon.... It works on tablets as well. It can work over wifi.

I installed Verizon Messages a few days ago for my phone and iPad. It worked well. BUT they spam you with messages that are ads!!! The messages don't even show up as their own thread. They're INSERTED right in the middle of your existing personal conversation. I immediately uninstalled. So dumb...

RLangerman

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
Facebook messenger and WeChat both have IM modes that only use data. The other person has to have the same application (Facebook Messenger or WeChat, but it does avoid all SMS usage and the data consumed for simple IM is trivial. I use this when overseas to avoid international SMS charges. In US I don't care as I have unlimited texting.

I particularly like WeChat. It is a huge application in China (and within Chinese community in US) and has lots of great functionality including the ability to easily send "voice" IM's (short recorded messages).

chasescott66

Nov 21, 2009
Visit site
Doesn't work for me via WiFi in the Verizon Messages, give me that no network can be found, that is with no network connection in my basement.

el viejo

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
I installed Verizon Messages a few days ago for my phone and iPad. It worked well. BUT they spam you with messages that are ads!!! The messages don't even show up as their own thread. They're INSERTED right in the middle of your existing personal conversation. I immediately uninstalled. So dumb...

I've been using it since it became available, but don't get spam. Curious.

kilofoxtrot

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site

I don't get spam either..... Hmmmm.