Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By prodigy1814
  • 1 Post By kilofoxtrot
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Texting via WiFi

Is there a setting to text via WiFi?

Default Re: Texting via WiFi

No. SMS Texting is not a form of "data" usage and it uses your phone number on your carrier.
    ranlaw likes this.

There is not a "setting", however, if you are a Google Voice subscriber, and have a Google Voice Telephone number, you can text and make/receive calls while on WiFi. The free Tapatone App (In the Market), also uses your Google Voice telephone number to text and make/receive calls.

Checkout the Message app by Verizon.... It works on tablets as well. It can work over wifi.

Posted via Android Central App
    D_Train_33 likes this.

Global Posts
    1,241 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Ice Cream Sandwich

Quote Originally Posted by kilofoxtrot View Post
    Checkout the Message app by Verizon.... It works on tablets as well. It can work over wifi.

Where would i find this? Play store?

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by MBM7881 View Post
    Where would i find this? Play store?

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Android Central Forums
    Yes... search Verizon Messages in the Playstore. Works great. I use it on my S4 and Note 8.0 via wifi.

Quote Originally Posted by kilofoxtrot View Post

I installed Verizon Messages a few days ago for my phone and iPad. It worked well. BUT they spam you with messages that are ads!!! The messages don't even show up as their own thread. They're INSERTED right in the middle of your existing personal conversation. I immediately uninstalled. So dumb...

Facebook messenger and WeChat both have IM modes that only use data. The other person has to have the same application (Facebook Messenger or WeChat, but it does avoid all SMS usage and the data consumed for simple IM is trivial. I use this when overseas to avoid international SMS charges. In US I don't care as I have unlimited texting.

I particularly like WeChat. It is a huge application in China (and within Chinese community in US) and has lots of great functionality including the ability to easily send "voice" IM's (short recorded messages).

Doesn't work for me via WiFi in the Verizon Messages, give me that no network can be found, that is with no network connection in my basement.

Quote Originally Posted by prodigy1814 View Post
    I installed Verizon Messages a few days ago for my phone and iPad. It worked well. BUT they spam you with messages that are ads!!! The messages don't even show up as their own thread. They're INSERTED right in the middle of your existing personal conversation. I immediately uninstalled. So dumb...
    I've been using it since it became available, but don't get spam. Curious.

Quote Originally Posted by prodigy1814 View Post
    I don't get spam either..... Hmmmm.

??h