4g, radios, and sim cards

318sugarhill

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
So, i've read alot about Samsung having crappy radio's compared to other devices, and with the S4 being my first Sammy device, I was beginning to believe what I read. I used to get 4g service no problem in my house. The added 4g to a local tower back in Nov, and since then my HTC rezound ALWAYS stayed connected to 4g in the house (and surrounding area). Since getting the S4 and activating the sim that came with it (the rezound is a mini, the S4 is a micro) I have not been able to consistently stay connected to 4g unless it is a really strong area. I read on XDA someone having similar issues like me. They swapped sims at a VZW store and they reported no more problems. Since my Rezound always got great service on 4g when it was available (even on the fringe of the area) I decided to reactivate the sim in the rezound. I printed a sim card template to cut it down to mini size. Well, it worked. I popped the cut down rezound sim into my S4 and so far I am getting MUCH better 4g connections. Before the swap, the phone would default to 3g, and I'd have to use the phone info app to force into LTE mode. After a while, it would revert back to 3g. Now it picks up 4g and stays 4g.

Sure, I could just stay on wifi at home, but I'm on unlimited, and at times (especially at night) my 4g speeds are faster than my comcast wifi speeds. But when I'm not at home or in a wifi area, I would like to get the service I should be able to get. So if anyone is having radio issues....check a new sim. Just an FYI, my brother has gone through about 4 sim cards with verizon on his iphone. Used to think it was his iphone.....until now.

japetty

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
So, i've read alot about Samsung having crappy radio's compared to other devices, and with the S4 being my first Sammy device, I was beginning to believe what I read. I used to get 4g service no problem in my house. The added 4g to a local tower back in Nov, and since then my HTC rezound ALWAYS stayed connected to 4g in the house (and surrounding area). Since getting the S4 and activating the sim that came with it (the rezound is a mini, the S4 is a micro) I have not been able to consistently stay connected to 4g unless it is a really strong area. I read on XDA someone having similar issues like me. They swapped sims at a VZW store and they reported no more problems. Since my Rezound always got great service on 4g when it was available (even on the fringe of the area) I decided to reactivate the sim in the rezound. I printed a sim card template to cut it down to mini size. Well, it worked. I popped the cut down rezound sim into my S4 and so far I am getting MUCH better 4g connections. Before the swap, the phone would default to 3g, and I'd have to use the phone info app to force into LTE mode. After a while, it would revert back to 3g. Now it picks up 4g and stays 4g.

Sure, I could just stay on wifi at home, but I'm on unlimited, and at times (especially at night) my 4g speeds are faster than my comcast wifi speeds. But when I'm not at home or in a wifi area, I would like to get the service I should be able to get. So if anyone is having radio issues....check a new sim. Just an FYI, my brother has gone through about 4 sim cards with verizon on his iphone. Used to think it was his iphone.....until now.
Very good information to leave here.

StuartV

Allergic to Stupid
Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Sure, I could just stay on wifi at home, but I'm on unlimited, and at times (especially at night) my 4g speeds are faster than my comcast wifi speeds.

They should be. Comcast cable modems usually give 10 - 20 Mbps. I've gotten as high as 40 Mbps downloads, even with my old Thunderbolt. I normally get (with a good signal) 20 - 30 Mbps.

But, be aware, throughput may be higher over LTE, but latency is usually worse. I.e. ping times are generally way better through a cable modem. So, for something like a big download, LTE will often be faster. But, for something like gaming, the cable modem might work way better.

Also, I'm having the same problem as you, with my S4 not getting 4G reception in weak signal areas. I'm going for my 3rd SIM card tonight. This time, I'm getting one of the older kind that doesn't have the new NFC support (i.e. like what came in the Rezound, only smaller). In case you didn't realize it, using the cut down Rezound SIM means you won't have full (any?) NFC functionality.

Cigar-Junkie

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Yes you are correct the NFC is in the battery. The gentleman before you was thinking of the ISIS payment system which is in the Sim card.

I am having trouble getting Isis to work but in a way you're both right. The battery needs to be NFC and according to Verizon the sim card must be NFC. The pattern on the sim is different for the NFC and non NFC versions. Why this is true I don't know but if I were betting, I would put money on it that the NFC sim blocks Google Wallet.

drmaf894c

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Hey all,
I know I'm in a little bit of the wrong group here as my question pertains to my GS3 but I was wondering what you thought of the NFC sim cards. I have been having a bit of a weak signal issue myself after moving into a new house and town and I live within line of site of a VZW 4G tower (confirmed by VZW). One of the things they rec was that I get a new sim card. I was able to order a new NFC sim for my S3 on line but wasn't sure if you all thought they worked as well. I guess if it doesn't I can always go back to the other sim card from before. What has been your experience with the newer ones, seems you haven't been as happy? Am I wrong? Thanks in advance!