Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By jneusch
  • 1 Post By paintdrinkingpete
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default S4 got wet, still works, but...

So my two day old S4 came with me camping as I wanted to take pictures. The weather called for 70 degrees and sunny, but changed to 45 degrees and rainy as a *******, as weather in upstate NY is wont to do.

At any rate, my phone got pretty damp, enough to trip all the moisture sensors on my phone. I let it dry out and it works like new, but the screen surface is...odd. It seems like the olio-phobic coating wore through so fingerprints show up more prominently on the left side of my phone, in almost a leopard print pattern. If not that, then some sort of residue from an adhesive (I've never used a case or screen protector). If I polish my screen, it looks great. If I use it for a while, the spots show up again.

I took a 50/50 solution of distilled water and alcohol to it and it didn't clean it off to no avail.

I have a squaretrade warrantee on my S4, but it comes with a $50 deductible and I'm not sure it's worth sending in a phone I've had for about a week for something so nit-picky.

I'm sure the first replies are going to be about treating my phone better, or using a case, etc, but that's why I have a squaretrade warrantee.

The reason I'm posting is because I'd like to see if anyone else has heard of this before. I know the water didn't get behind the screen because I can buff this out, but it comes back several times a day. Any input?

I'll post pictures ASAP.
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Default Re: S4 got wet, still works, but...

Here's the screen. You can see what I'm talking about along the bottom.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,032 Global Posts

It kind of reminds me of hard water residue...

"Differences of habit and language are nothing at all if our aims are identical and our hearts are open. -courtesy of Albus Dumbledore, via my droid DNA.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    1,833 Global Posts
    ROM
    VernomRez / ICS / CM9

Quote Originally Posted by William Baller View Post
    Here's the screen. You can see what I'm talking about along the bottom.
    I'm wondering if there is still moisture in the phone
    Palm Centro, Palm Pre +, HTC Rezound, Samsung Galaxy S4
    Thanked by:
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

If it is residue, will there be any ill effect to taking a razor blade to it to try to skim it off?
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,032 Global Posts

Assuming the razor blade cant scratch the gorilla glass 3 due to its rating on the moh scale, there should be no negative side effects.

"Differences of habit and language are nothing at all if our aims are identical and our hearts are open. -courtesy of Albus Dumbledore, via my droid DNA.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    4,598 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by William Baller View Post
    If it is residue, will there be any ill effect to taking a razor blade to it to try to skim it off?
    I think my hands would shake too much to take a razor blade to it! But as Major said, it appears to be a moisture issue. I'd let it dry a while longer before you bust the blade out.
    Thanked by:

You may even want to try the rice trick for a day to see if that sucks out any remaining moisture that might be trapped behind the glass.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Android Central Forums
    Current Devices:
    OnePlus One
    LG G3 - AT&T
    Motorola Moto X - unlocked GSM
    Samsung Galaxy Note 8 - LTE AT&T
    Apple iPad Mini Retina - 32GB LTE
    Thanked by:
    Robnrbrtsn likes this.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

I forgot to mention that it's been a week and two days since the event. I'll toss it in a bag of rice, but I'm still fairly certain that the issue resides on top of the screen, not between the touchscreen and the OLED panel.

Quote Originally Posted by ibcop View Post
    I think my hands would shake too much to take a razor blade to it! But as Major said, it appears to be a moisture issue. I'd let it dry a while longer before you bust the blade out.

This won't help the OP unless he has a time machine, but as a person that has lost a phone due to "unexpected precipitation", let me pass along a trick I learned...

When going camping, to outdoor sporting event, concerts, etc... I always try to remember to take a ziploc bag with me. I keep a few in my truck just in case. If it looks like rain, I just power the phone off and slip it in the bag....and don't spend the rest of the day worrying about it constantly.
    Thanked by:
    Robnrbrtsn likes this.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Yeah, one of my buddies brought his phone in a bag and we slapped it in there with his moto and camera, but I was too late as the phone had already gotten pretty soaked through.

Lesson learned, I guess.

So no one has seen anything like this before? It occurred to me yesterday that the reason this line keeps showing up is the whole phone screen rests against my big mug and oil transfers to the screen. Then I need to wipe it down again.

Global Posts
    201 Global Posts

IF only you had the new S4 Active model !! Its supposed to be safe against water damage for up to 30 minutes in about 3 feet of water. Ahoy, matey !!

I've even used my phone while inside the zip lock bag. I had to adjust the volume for a call, but the screen still responded while the bag.
    Quote Originally Posted by paintdrinkingpete View Post
    This won't help the OP unless he has a time machine, but as a person that has lost a phone due to "unexpected precipitation", let me pass along a trick I learned...

When going camping, to outdoor sporting event, concerts, etc... I always try to remember to take a ziploc bag with me. I keep a few in my truck just in case. If it looks like rain, I just power the phone off and slip it in the bag....and don't spend the rest of the day worrying about it constantly.