Phone won't connect to computer.

rhinomo

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
So I was having an issue getting my S4 to connect to my computer. (windows 7)
I manually downloaded the drivers from Samsung. That didn't work.
I downloaded Kies. That didn't work.
I changed USB cables to the stock white Samsung cable it came with. That finally worked.
I was using an old blackberry cord that worked fine on my Thunderbolt so I figured there was no way this could be the issue. Well it turns out that it does make a difference. With the old cord it would only charge & the computer would do nothing & the phone would only say charging & not give the usb option in the drop down menu.

I couldn't find anywhere on the internet that came up with this solution so thought I would post it.

ps. Anyone know why the cord would make a difference?

rebootacc

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
found this out there on some web site Samsung usb 5 driver is buged found out you delete Samsung usb driver go out Samsung get drive 4.cant remember full number down load do not install turn off internet reboot load driver boot again plug phone in after finishing getting things strait and it will cycle slow then turn internet back on this keeps it from updating back to 5. whatever.. also some informed staff at a certain 611 number told me kies has been orphaned so do what you have to due between ph and computer your self

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Thing is, since newer Android devices, including the Galaxy S4, now use MTP/PTP for media transfer, you really shouldn't have to install drivers for Windows computers...it should work natively.

You would really only *need* drivers for doing more advanced stuff, like accessing ADB or Fastboot for rooting or flashing images via Odin.