Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Angry Annoying Bugs/Restarts

So today my phone randomly restarted for the third time in a week and then something really weird happened...all of my WiFi connections/passwords were deleted. I was very happy that all of them backed up to Google and were there when I upgraded from my S3 and now its all gone. Also a couple of times my widgets had stopped updating, like all of them at once. Once I restarted they are back up and auto-updating. Currently it looks like its still updating but Im thinking it will stop again.

Im not running any wierd apps and Im not rooted. Anyone else experiencing these bugs ?

ROM
    Stock on most

Default Re: Annoying Bugs/Restarts

Haven't had a single random reboot on the phone yet.

No restarts here either, mid to heavy user and not one issue so far. Almost makes me glad my Maxx fell off the bike.
    I miss my friend Matt McQuinn he touched so many lives, and in the end gave his life to protect someone that he loved. I am proud to have known him, and of the choices he made when it mattered. You were a true hero.

"You would not fear my weapon unless your intentions were to provoke my using it"
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Anyone know a good app to locate an app that is causing a restart?

My only reboots have occurred when i plug my tel into my macbook pro...otherwise its been fine.

I too have had 3 random restarts/reboots since my GS4 arrived by FedEx 6/5/13. I ordered directly from VZW. Two times the reboots happened while accessing the stock browser and the third one occurred after a lengthy phone call. I have a brand new 32GB SanDisk sd card from Amazon installed and the GS4 is in an Urban Armour Gear case. All three reboots occurred after using the phone extensively so it had gotten rather warm, not hot. Everything is stock. I'm going to remove the sd card, test it a day or two. Then maybe remove the case if its still happening.

I'm loving the phone but have to quickly make a decision on what to do before the 14 day window to return it is closed.

Global Posts
    1,833 Global Posts
    ROM
    VernomRez / ICS / CM9

Quote Originally Posted by Techjourney View Post
    I too have had 3 random restarts/reboots since my GS4 arrived by FedEx 6/5/13. I ordered directly from VZW. Two times the reboots happened while accessing the stock browser and the third one occurred after a lengthy phone call. I have a brand new 32GB SanDisk sd card from Amazon installed and the GS4 is in an Urban Armour Gear case. All three reboots occurred after using the phone extensively so it had gotten rather warm, not hot. Everything is stock. I'm going to remove the sd card, test it a day or two. Then maybe remove the case if its still happening.

I'm loving the phone but have to quickly make a decision on what to do before the 14 day window to return it is closed.
    I too have the UAG and My phone has gotten plenty warm as I tether for about 8/hrs a day I have yet to see a reboot so i don't think it's your case
    Palm Centro, Palm Pre +, HTC Rezound, Samsung Galaxy S4

Quote Originally Posted by major payne View Post
    I too have the UAG and My phone has gotten plenty warm as I tether for about 8/hrs a day I have yet to see a reboot so i don't think it's your case
    Thanks for your reply. Do you have an sd card installed? I removed mine last night and have been really testing the GS4. So far no reboots. However on another forum someone mentioned it seemed to happen to them about every 2 days. Will see what tomorrow brings.

I've noticed some lag/stutter sometimes when opening the Gmail app, Chrome and stock browser. I'm confident this will be corrected in a future update.

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    1,833 Global Posts
    ROM
    VernomRez / ICS / CM9

Thanks for your reply. Do you have an sd card installed? I removed mine last night and have been really testing the GS4. So far no reboots. However on another forum someone mentioned it seemed to happen to them about every 2 days. Will see what tomorrow brings.

I've noticed some lag/stutter sometimes when opening the Gmail app, Chrome and stock browser. I'm confident this will be corrected in a future update.

Yeah I do have a SD card. I think mine is a SansDisk. when i first got the phone it said the card was corrupt so i reformatted it.

Yeah I do have a SD card. I think mine is a SansDisk. when i first got the phone it said the card was corrupt so i reformatted it.
    I think the SanDisk sd is the culprit. Since removing it, I've had no reboots. I was going to send it back to Amazon, but I didn't think of reformatting to see if that corrects it. Thanks for suggesting that.

I also had an OMG moment. There are several post about lag/stutter and how turning off animations from the Developers Mode helps. OMG, 98% of lag I was experiencing is gone! What a difference. I did a Google search to find out how to access Developer Mode for the GS4. YMMV

Global Posts
    1,833 Global Posts
    ROM
    VernomRez / ICS / CM9

I think the SanDisk sd is the culprit. Since removing it, I've had no reboots. I was going to send it back to Amazon, but I didn't think of reformatting to see if that corrects it. Thanks for suggesting that.

I also had an OMG moment. There are several post about lag/stutter and how turning off animations from the Developers Mode helps. OMG, 98% of lag I was experiencing is gone! What a difference. I did a Google search to find out how to access Developer Mode for the GS4. YMMV

I currently run CleanRom and expereicnce no lag using touchwiz

Well I reformatted the sd card, everything worked for a day, then I got another reboot when accessing the card. At this point I'm convinced it must be the sd card. So I ship it back to Amazon.

However, to my disappointment, I had another reboot w/o a card. So I'm going have to return the phone for a new one.

I had a reboot today as well and I do not have an SD card.
    Last edited by ddsdavid; 06-16-2013 at 10:03 AM.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

I currently run CleanRom and expereicnce no lag using touchwiz
    You're running it on s4? Did they keep all the new Samsung air features?

Global Posts
    1,833 Global Posts
    ROM
    VernomRez / ICS / CM9

Quote Originally Posted by godsidekurt View Post
    You're running it on s4? Did they keep all the new Samsung air features?

Yes I'm running it on the S4 and they keep all the samsung features they just remove all the bloat that Verizon added.

I had an issue today that caused me to have to reboot it. First time this has happened in the two weeks that I've had the phone. I got a notification, email I think, and I tried to pull down the notification bar and it wouldn't come down. After a bunch of tries it came down but I couldn't click on anything. Then when I tried to press the sound toggle it scrolled and pressed a different one. So then I tried to unlock it and it wouldn't unlock. Had to restart. It was strange. Restarted and has been fine for the last two hours.

My S4 Restarted first time was last night and since then twice more that I'm aware of. It's very weird. twice I was doing absolutely nothing with the phone just looking at it, and once I was listening to music at the gym. Up until now it's operation has been nearly flawless, I haven't downloaded anything new in the last couple days so I'm not sure what is going on. And it's the same SD card I've always had.

Well I reformatted the sd card, everything worked for a day, then I got another reboot when accessing the card. At this point I'm convinced it must be the sd card. So I ship it back to Amazon.

However, to my disappointment, I had another reboot w/o a card. So I'm going have to return the phone for a new one.

It's been 8 days with the new replacement GS4 from VZW and I'm happy to say no random reboots/restarts to report.

Some things I noticed immediately that were different happened after the initial setup. I have 2 Step verification with my Google account. I use the Google Authenticator app. On the first GS4 when the app asked me to scan the QR Code on my laptop's screen it said I needed to first download the BarCode Scanner app from the Play Store. With the new GS4 when I clicked scan QR Code, it appeared to use the camera software to scan and it worked flawlessly. In fact I have no BarCade Scanner apps installed on the new phone.

The other issue was a UI glitch. Touch Wiz has a feature when on any home screen, you can use the pinch screen gesture to view all of your home screens and select the screen you want to go to. On the first phone when performing this gesture after you select the screen, when you select any app on that screen, the screen would suddenly jump to another screen or would have a jerk motion. Well the new didn't do that... UNTIL a day ago. So this must be something that an update will address.

I will be getting an sd card sometime next week. Overall I'm really pleased I made the exchange. Looking forward to the first OTA from VZW to see what that brings.