1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Please help on my thought to go to a S4 Galaxy vs Iphone- outlook is my concern

OK, I get the versatility of the s4. What I don't seem to grasp is the way it works with outlook since google calender went poof. Which appeared to be the way to do it.
    I have to use Outlook at work and update people. So here it goes:
    1. Will the S4 synch with an outlook invite for the calender?
    if yes, what is a good link to learn how.
    If no, what do I use to make it do that?
    Where can I go that has current 2013 information on how to do this.

I dont mind reading and the learning curve but everything seems out of date.
    I just want it to be able to sync with outlook and I am pretty sold since AT&T lets me get a tablet and the phone for 299.00
    Thank you all.
    Oh, and if I missed something being a total newbie at this, please comment.

Global Posts
    13,867 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Default Re: Please help on my thought to go to a S4 Galaxy vs Iphone- outlook is my concern

Quote Originally Posted by Txbigfoot View Post
    OK, I get the versatility of the s4. What I don't seem to grasp is the way it works with outlook since google calender went poof. Which appeared to be the way to do it.
    I have to use Outlook at work and update people. So here it goes:
    1. Will the S4 synch with an outlook invite for the calender?
    if yes, what is a good link to learn how.
    If no, what do I use to make it do that?
    Where can I go that has current 2013 information on how to do this.

I dont mind reading and the learning curve but everything seems out of date.
    I just want it to be able to sync with outlook and I am pretty sold since AT&T lets me get a tablet and the phone for 299.00
    Thank you all.
    Oh, and if I missed something being a total newbie at this, please comment.
    First things first: Welcome to the forums and Android!

Don't have an S4, but an S3, and I can try to help.
    1. Should be as simple as downloading any Outlook app you need from Play, and there is a create account in Settings. Between those two things you should be able to do almost anything. Once you get your Outlook account set up, you just need to add the account to your calendars under calendar settings.

Umm...I think I answered all of your questions in one statement.... I don't know how to answer for iOS, due to I never owned an Apple device. But a big one I would say is custom options out of the box in favor of Android.

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu
    Community Guidelines and also here
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: Please help on my thought to go to a S4 Galaxy vs Iphone- outlook is my concern

Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    First things first: Welcome to the forums and Android!
    1. Should be as simple as downloading any Outlook app you need from Play, and there is a create account in Settings. Between those two things you should be able to do almost anything. Once you get your Outlook account set up, you just need to add the account to your calendars under calendar settings.

Is there any particular app out of the gazillion that is better? Thank you.

the built-in mail app is fine for exchange server email/calendar sync'ing

Im a heavy Outlook 2013 power user, i schedule appointments, respond to them, send emails out (100+ a day) etc... the default native app for mail works fine and syncs to an Exchange server with no problems. Now if its not Exchange Server your connecting to (which it should be so you can take advantage of all the great features) then you're probably going to have some weird issues. POP/IMAP etc.. are old protocols which are a mess, anything worth its weight as an app uses ActiveSync nowadays.

Global Posts
    13,867 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Quote Originally Posted by Txbigfoot View Post
    Is there any particular app out of the gazillion that is better? Thank you.
    If you just need the email, outlook has an app on Play. Direct from microsoft.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Android Central Forums

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu
    Community Guidelines and also here
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Thanks Tommy, Alas I am a dark ages non Exchange guy.
    New thoughts?

As Golfdriver97 mentioned you should be able to go to Play Store and download the Outlook app. Since Microsoft decided to rename Hotmail to Outlook.com this is the app you need. I have it for my Hotmail and Live email accounts and it works great. If you are syncing with your office email through Exchange then you need to set up an Exchange Active Sync account. I have this also and have no problems syncing my work emails.